Gary Mabbutt - a Legend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It has been 18 years since Gary Mabbutt retired from professional football. It is fair to say that a lot has happened at Spurs in those 18 years but not nearly as much as did during his 16 year career at The Lane.

Mabbutt played alongside Hoddle, Ardiles, Perryman, Lineker, Klinsmann, Anderton, Waddle and Sheringham. He also shared a locker room with Kevin Scott, Andy Booth, Bobby Mimms, Stuart Nethercott, Jose Dominguez and Andy Sinton.

He was a key figure in a team that was a fannies hair away from a treble in 1987, and was part of the team which won away at Oldham in 1994 to avoid relegation.

He had his face smashed in by John Fashanu in what was essentially assault. Suffered a horrific broken leg on the opening day of the 1996-97 season, missing the entire campaign and played his final match at the end of the following season.

He saw Scholar change Tottenham, and in effect, football into a business. He was there when Tottenham were moments away from going bust, he was present during the farcical 12 point demotion and FA Cup banishment (both rescinded).

Mabbutt signed from Bristol for Tottenham, one of the countries biggest and most successful clubs, upon his retirement we were floundering. A team that didn’t seem to have a great sense of direction. His retirement for many, myself included, was very much the end of Tottenham Hotspur’s association with the past glories of the previous decade.

What is often forgotten about him is what an excellent player he was. Capable of playing in a number of positions, indeed he played for England in midfield as well as defence in his not to be sniffed at 16 caps (one goal).

Mabbutt became synonymous for his unfortunate own goal in the 1987 FA Cup final but if you have ever, ever, seen a happier face when he lifted the cup four years later then you are a liar or you’re in a maternity ward because it remains a thing of pure, unbridled joy.

For many, Mabbutt is a player they won’t have seen, nor is he a player who generates a great deal of nostalgia. YouTube isn’t going to be awash with Mabbutt’s greatest moment accompanied by some Euro techno beat. But for those who do remember him, it is with admiration. A player who had to overcome huge odds as a diabetic, and whilst not the most naturally athletic chap, he managed to play a total of 581 matches for Spurs scoring 38 goals in the process.

There is a significant number of football players who generate bad press, Paul Gascoigne has been one of those, yet again it speaks volumes about the man that Mabbutt is that he has remained a loyal friend to Gascoigne where so many have courted his company for the less than honest purposes, Mabbutt has been nothing but a rock for his old team mate.

And this is what is so great about him; on the pitch and off it the man went about his business as a leader with the utmost of integrity. A Tottenham legend and someone who we should treasure here at Tottenham Hotspur.

I hope there is some kind of nod to him when the new stadium is complete but few players, few people have done as much for the name of the club as Garry Vincent Mabbutt.

One of my all time favourites.
His pefect tackles,taking the ball of the oppositions toe,from behind will live with me for ever..And he use to do those on a regular basis, often 3 times in a game. A gentleman ,and a 100% player.
I don't recall seeing him ever have a bad game.
He was also an inspiration to people with diabetes ,and did bundles for others that suffered with the condition that he did.
I also remember Liverpool and Man utd sniffing around him in the 80s, yet he stayed with us.(Man u weren't the team they became,but were still a massive draw to players for wages alone)
I was at the Haringey Remembrance service at the Wood Green war memorial in November, and thought it very appropriate that it was Mabbutt who laid a wreath on behalf of the club.He was chatty to Spurs fans that approached him at the after service Tea/Coffee social as well(sadly, i had to shoot off ,so never got to talk to him) I can't think of a player I would rather do that on behalf of THFC from the recent modern era.
I agree 100%. I hope the club honour him at the new White Hart Lane

Thanks for (the bit in brackets) in the title...

...with the year it's been for high profile/celebrity deaths so far, you do worry!

Love Mabbutt. He is the reason that I started really supporting Tottenham. They were vaguely my favourite team thanks to lose ties to North London and the all-white kit from c.1985. But the 1987 final - and what seemed to me a huge injustice in the winning goal - was what sealed it for me. Seeing him lift the trophy in 1991 was a beautiful moment. He's always been a gentleman. His continued love for the club and loyalty to former teammates is also hugely admirable. Tottenham through and through. COYS.

Don't remember a huge amount of his playing days as I started going the year of his broken leg, but what he's done for the club in the years since deserves serious respect.

It has been 18 years since Gary Mabbutt retired from professional football. It is fair to say that a lot has happened at Spurs in those 18 years but not nearly as much as did during his 16 year career at The Lane.

Mabbutt played alongside Hoddle, Ardiles, Perryman, Lineker, Klinsmann, Anderton, Waddle and Sheringham. He also shared a locker room with Kevin Scott, Andy Booth, Bobby Mimms, Stuart Nethercott, Jose Dominguez and Andy Sinton.

He was a key figure in a team that was a fannies hair away from a treble in 1987, and was part of the team which won away at Oldham in 1994 to avoid relegation.

He had his face smashed in by John Fashanu in what was essentially assault. Suffered a horrific broken leg on the opening day of the 1996-97 season, missing the entire campaign and played his final match at the end of the following season.

He saw Scholar change Tottenham, and in effect, football into a business. He was there when Tottenham were moments away from going bust, he was present during the farcical 12 point demotion and FA Cup banishment (both rescinded).

Mabbutt signed from Bristol for Tottenham, one of the countries biggest and most successful clubs, upon his retirement we were floundering. A team that didn’t seem to have a great sense of direction. His retirement for many, myself included, was very much the end of Tottenham Hotspur’s association with the past glories of the previous decade.

What is often forgotten about him is what an excellent player he was. Capable of playing in a number of positions, indeed he played for England in midfield as well as defence in his not to be sniffed at 16 caps (one goal).

Mabbutt became synonymous for his unfortunate own goal in the 1987 FA Cup final but if you have ever, ever, seen a happier face when he lifted the cup four years later then you are a liar or you’re in a maternity ward because it remains a thing of pure, unbridled joy.

For many, Mabbutt is a player they won’t have seen, nor is he a player who generates a great deal of nostalgia. YouTube isn’t going to be awash with Mabbutt’s greatest moment accompanied by some Euro techno beat. But for those who do remember him, it is with admiration. A player who had to overcome huge odds as a diabetic, and whilst not the most naturally athletic chap, he managed to play a total of 581 matches for Spurs scoring 38 goals in the process.

There is a significant number of football players who generate bad press, Paul Gascoigne has been one of those, yet again it speaks volumes about the man that Mabbutt is that he has remained a loyal friend to Gascoigne where so many have courted his company for the less than honest purposes, Mabbutt has been nothing but a rock for his old team mate.

And this is what is so great about him; on the pitch and off it the man went about his business as a leader with the utmost of integrity. A Tottenham legend and someone who we should treasure here at Tottenham Hotspur.

I hope there is some kind of nod to him when the new stadium is complete but few players, few people have done as much for the name of the club as Garry Vincent Mabbutt.
Proper legend loved him on the terraces but
also meet him a few times and he has always been incredibly polite. His support of gazza shows him to be what we all know he is a captain of our club in the most widest sense. He should be honoury chairman of Tottenham

Last edited:
Mabbutt's name doesn't jump out like Hoddle, Ardiles, Waddle, Roberts, Hazard, Lineker, Gascoigne... However he is a true legend of our great club, serving us through some glory years in the 80s until his retirement in the mid-90s as Dannyboy Dannyboy says he is a true gentleman who suffered through serious adversity of diabetes and overcome it to play for well over a decade for us. He is a captain in the mould of Blanchflower, authoritative, quiet and graceful. His name is sown into our DNA and should be lauded much like other great legends of our club.

Last edited:
Proper legend loved him on the terraces but
also meet him a few times and he has always been incredibly polite. His support of gazza shows him to be what we all know he is a captain of our club in the most widest sense. He should be honoury chairman of Tottenham

Lucky enough to meet him a couple of times myself, always struck me as the sort of bloke who'd give yuu his last fiver, no matter that he needed it.

Top, top player and all-round wonderful human being. Saw him on the walk up to Wembley Stadium last year against the Chavs, and he was mobbed, but didn't stop smiling throughout. I have met him a few times and he is so genuine, he loves our Club as much as we do. Agree with others that the unadulterated pleasure on his face when he picked up the FA Cup will live in the memory forever. No-one deserved it more than he. Love the man and truly deserves the 'Legend' tag.

One of the all time greats. I was too young to remember but my dad saw him playing for the local team, Bristol Rovers, and knew he would develop into a great player. It was at Rovers he was diagnosed with diabetes but overcame this to secure his move to spurs where he became our utility man, centre half, right back, midfield, he would play there.

I have met Gary a few times and you could not wish to meet a more grounded guy, like me likes his home town club, Rovers and loves spurs with a passion.

His dad was a decent player in his day and his brother Kevin was an exciting attacking midfielder who's career was cut short at the other team in Bristol through injury.

If you get a chance his biography ' against all odds' is well worth a read, even though it's a few years old now.

My only niggle with Gary is that like so many other talented players over the years, he did not win enough international caps, bit like Steve perryman

Wonderful guy

An example to us all and agree with all of the aforementioned tributes

:bow:

He was the guest on The Fantasy Football Show on sky sports last week of any of you want to see and hear him share some stories about his Spurs days. It's on Catch Up still and will be for a while.
Top bloke.

Back
Top Bottom