Gary Mabbutt - a Legend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. Campbell filled in where ever needed., can't remember which games but he did have a couple of games as our c/f .. mind you we were absolutely desperate.
I remember him playing at CF against Leicester in Sept 96. Sheringham and Armstrong were both injured and a very young Emile Heskey ran rings around us. Our only goal came from a Clive Wilson penalty in a 2-1 defeat at the Lane.

Ian Walker also made a penalty save to stop Leicester going 2-0 up but it wasn't enough as the Foxes got their winner 6 minutes from time.

Mabbutt, incidentally, played only 15 minutes that season as he broke his leg in the opening match and was out for the season. I suppose it went full circle for him; he got his chance in the first team thanks to an injury crisis in 82/83 and it was an injury crisis that effectively ended his Tottenham career in 96/97 (he did play in the following season but other players had been brought in by then and he only made a handful of appearances before his retirement in the summer of 98).

Yep. Campbell filled in where ever needed., can't remember which games but he did have a couple of games as our c/f .. mind you we were absolutely desperate.
He started as a striker. I remember him coming off the bench to score a late goal against Chelsea in a 2:1 (?) defeat on his debut.

The brother of a schoolmate of mine was in the Spurs youth team at the time, along with Andy Turner. Caskey, and Quentin Fortune. I think Barmby had already made the first team. Judas was definitely a forward in the youth team.

The fucking cunt.

He started as a striker. I remember him coming off the bench to score a late goal against Chelsea in a 2:1 (?) defeat on his debut.

The brother of a schoolmate of mine was in the Spurs youth team at the time, along with Andy Turner. Caskey, and Quentin Fortune. I think Barmby had already made the first team. Judas was definitely a forward in the youth team.

The fucking cunt.
I respectfully ask you (and others) not to turn a thread that was intended as a tribute to one of our greatest servants into an attack on Sol Campbell.

Gary Mabbutt turned down a move to Liverpool to stay with us. He would have joined them in the same summer they signed Peter Beardsley and John Barnes and I have no doubt that he would have made an excellent Liverpool player.

Gary Mabbutt was, and continues to be, a perfect gentleman in all his public dealings and he certainly wouldn't countenance the kind of language we see on here.

The guy is an absolute gentleman.

My best mates dad knew him through a joint business venture and my ma managed to arrange for him to come to my bar mitzvah back in the mid 90's.

I just finished my speech and the band started playing 'oh when the Spurs'. I turn around and Gary is walking in holding a signed ball. He stayed for a few hours with his Mrs, got involved in some of the Israeli dancing and photos and just looked to be having a great time.

I played 5 a side with him a few times too as he would turn up to my mate's dad's work game quite often.

Me and my mate had a running £20 bet for the first one of us to nutmeg him. Needless to say, neither of us ever did.

Back
Top Bottom