Gary Mabbutt - a Legend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I saw this and thought “how the fuck could you sleep through being eaten alive by a rat?”

Then read on and remembered about his diabetes, which has left him with little feeling in his feet.

Get well soon Gary. Legend.
There is another comment left by someone in the thread that says apparently that rats are known to do this, they bite then blow on the wound, then bit then blow, then bit then blow! All designed to not alert the victim so they can get a good ole munch!!!!!
:lamelashock:

Absolute legend of a man. Training with weights on his legs so he could jump higher during a match.
I think (?) he played in every position for Spurs except left wing, if someone could confirm that (or otherwise) I would be grateful.

For me second only to Steve P as our most committed, consistent player 477 aps.

There is another comment left by someone in the thread that says apparently that rats are known to do this, they bite then blow on the wound, then bit then blow, then bit then blow! All designed to not alert the victim so they can get a good ole munch!!!!!
:lamelashock:
I'd say its more to do with the diabetic neuropathy he suffered though. After reading about it, every time my leg felt funny, the fear set in

I saw this and thought “how the fuck could you sleep through being eaten alive by a rat?”
Then read on and remembered about his diabetes, which has left him with little feeling in his feet.

Get well soon Gary. Legend.
I then read that, and thought; "How the fuck do you play FOOTBALL with little feeling in your feet?"

ABSOLUTE LEGEND AND HERO OF A MAN!

I thought it was a windup to start with. He is such a great guy, think we sometimes forget what he went through just to live a normal life, let alone play professional and international football. You never heard him complain about his lot, one of life's good guys.

I thought it was a windup to start with. He is such a great guy, think we sometimes forget what he went through just to live a normal life, let alone play professional and international football. You never heard him complain about his lot, one of life's good guys.
I'm sure there was a story in his Autobiography where he had a diabetes 'spike' and started slurring his words... everyone thought he'd come into training straight from the nightclub... when in fact, nothing could've been further from the truth.
When you consider both he and Gazza were in the same Spurs team, their lives couldn't have gone in further opposite directions!

I remember being stupidly delighted when he popped up for a cameo in the children’s tv show “The Queen’s Nose” (anyone remember that??). None of my surrounding Man Utd supporting mates had a clue who it was of course. In more recent years a friend of mine managed to get me an autographed note from him, a treasured possession!

I'm sure there was a story in his Autobiography where he had a diabetes 'spike' and started slurring his words... everyone thought he'd come into training straight from the nightclub... when in fact, nothing could've been further from the truth.
When you consider both he and Gazza were in the same Spurs team, their lives couldn't have gone in further opposite directions!
Yes that's right. He also collapsed at home once, and was found by John Lacy, covered in blood, where he had cut himself trying to take a reading when he was in no state to do so. Hero and Legend are bandied around far too easily, but not in Mabbsey's case.

I just took part in a Q&A session with Mabbsey. He is such a lovely, genuine guy, so obviously a Spurs man - he said that from the minute he walked through the doors, he felt he was home. He mentioned that he was never one for going over to the supporters kissing the badge, as he felt he didn't need to, as we knew what the Club meant to him.
He retold the rat story (see above), and he is still having problems because of it; he still has to wear special orthopedic shoes. Following his heart bypass and his ongoing diabetes, he is on 7 injections and 16 tablets a day. He just accepts it all without complaint, saying it's all part of the ups and downs of life.
On recalling the '91 Cup run, he said that Gazza was our talisman for that competition, on how whenever there was a band at a game, he would always kick balls into the middle of the band and cause chaos. Mabbsey went on to say that although everything went wrong in the first half, Gazza being stretchered off disconcerted Forest more than it did us, as it meant that other players not usually in the spotlight (Howells, Sedgley, Samways, Edinburgh) came into their own.
Someone asked him who is 5-a-side team would be - Jennings, Gough, King, Hoddle, Gazza, Klinsmann, with himself as the sub.
Someone then asked him who he would watch the Man Utd game with, practicing social distancing - Klinsmann, Thorsvedt, Ardiles.
Gary talked about how the lockdown has affected his daughters' education and how his eldest had to complete her degree remotely. That sparked a memory for me, and I said that I remembered his wife carrying out his eldest as a baby when he appeared on "This is your Life". He confirmed that it was a complete surprise and he knew nothing about it.
A Legend without doubt, and a gentleman, to boot. What a guy!
Again, a great occasion, Yorkshire Supporters' Club have organised these sessions superbly. I hope that there are going to be more to come. I'm going to suggest the lovely Daveed for the next one!!

I just took part in a Q&A session with Mabbsey. He is such a lovely, genuine guy, so obviously a Spurs man - he said that from the minute he walked through the doors, he felt he was home. He mentioned that he was never one for going over to the supporters kissing the badge, as he felt he didn't need to, as we knew what the Club meant to him.
He retold the rat story (see above), and he is still having problems because of it; he still has to wear special orthopedic shoes. Following his heart bypass and his ongoing diabetes, he is on 7 injections and 16 tablets a day. He just accepts it all without complaint, saying it's all part of the ups and downs of life.
On recalling the '91 Cup run, he said that Gazza was our talisman for that competition, on how whenever there was a band at a game, he would always kick balls into the middle of the band and cause chaos. Mabbsey went on to say that although everything went wrong in the first half, Gazza being stretchered off disconcerted Forest more than it did us, as it meant that other players not usually in the spotlight (Howells, Sedgley, Samways, Edinburgh) came into their own.
Someone asked him who is 5-a-side team would be - Jennings, Gough, King, Hoddle, Gazza, Klinsmann, with himself as the sub.
Someone then asked him who he would watch the Man Utd game with, practicing social distancing - Klinsmann, Thorsvedt, Ardiles.
Gary talked about how the lockdown has affected his daughters' education and how his eldest had to complete her degree remotely. That sparked a memory for me, and I said that I remembered his wife carrying out his eldest as a baby when he appeared on "This is your Life". He confirmed that it was a complete surprise and he knew nothing about it.
A Legend without doubt, and a gentleman, to boot. What a guy!
Again, a great occasion, Yorkshire Supporters' Club have organised these sessions superbly. I hope that there are going to be more to come. I'm going to suggest the lovely Daveed for the next one!!
That sounds brilliant. Mabbutt was a hero of mine when I really got into Spurs. He was captain and always carried himself superbly. I’m tempted by some of the Zoom meetings Graham Roberts is doing. It’s Daws this week.

That sounds brilliant. Mabbutt was a hero of mine when I really got into Spurs. He was captain and always carried himself superbly. I’m tempted by some of the Zoom meetings Graham Roberts is doing. It’s Daws this week.
How do you get onto these, is it via Twitter?

Back
Top Bottom