Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I personally never saw him as a Christian replacement. I also never saw him as a comparable to Bruno. From what I saw at Betis, which was a small sampling, I saw much more or a ball carrying midfielder that gets in battles and can create. If people wanted a Christian replacement they should have been eyeing Bruno, who is actually far more talented than Christian when it comes to a goal threat. Similar vision and affinity for spraying the ball around. Gio is a more combative, less lethal David Silva for me.

I don't think Lo Celso was ever supposed to be the Eriksen replacement tbf. He's a very different player in many respects. I think he was just targeted to improve our midfield in general. The three players I believe were targeted as Eriksen replacements were Dybala, Fernandes and Coutinho (quite possibly in that order too.) The fact that all 3 were available and none were signed is a damning indictment of our recruitment/negotiating methods once again, it has to be said.

Dybala would have been a dream signing. We would be top four easily.

Not an Eriksen replacement
and the quicker we realise that the better.
We need to compare him to similar players , he could be like a David Silva a deeper lying progressive midfielder , but for me he should be compared to the Liverpool Mids , he plays in a midfield 3 like them so does he compare to them?

Its still very clear we need an Eriksen replacement btw , the creative burden cannot be put on a guy who isn't really a playmaker.

I don't think Lo Celso was ever supposed to be the Eriksen replacement tbf. He's a very different player in many respects. I think he was just targeted to improve our midfield in general. The three players I believe were targeted as Eriksen replacements were Dybala, Fernandes and Coutinho (quite possibly in that order too.) The fact that all 3 were available and none were signed is a damning indictment of our recruitment/negotiating methods once again, it has to be said.

Disagree.

I dont think we tried to get a like for like replacement for Eriksen, I think our shortlist was to buy 2 from N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Fernandes.

N'Dombele was signed early (in time for a full pre-season) whilst Lo Celso was delayed due to his participation in the Latin American equivalent of the euros when we and ManU also flirted with Fernandes, but for whatever reason no deal for Fernandes could be done in the summer.

Dybala suddenly appeared as a late option with ManU and Spurs both talking to him and his club but the naming rights (cost to buy out circa 50m) plus the Juventus fee meant his cost was at least double the initial asking price and noteworthy that Dybala didnt seem to want to help to push a transfer through. So nothing happened, except Dybala seems very happy to have stayed where he was.

Disagree.

I dont think we tried to get a like for like replacement for Eriksen, I think our shortlist was to buy 2 from N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Fernandes.

N'Dombele was signed early (in time for a full pre-season) whilst Lo Celso was delayed due to his participation in the Latin American equivalent of the euros when we and ManU also flirted with Fernandes, but for whatever reason no deal for Fernandes could be done in the summer.

Dybala suddenly appeared as a late option with ManU and Spurs both talking to him and his club but the naming rights (cost to buy out circa 50m) plus the Juventus fee meant his cost was at least double the initial asking price and noteworthy that Dybala didnt seem to want to help to push a transfer through. So nothing happened, except Dybala seems very happy to have stayed where he was.
Don’t think so. Ndombele was 100% Mousa Dembeles replacement and one we had wanted for over a year.
Lo Celso was signed as an 8/10 hybrid, another position we had been looking to strengthen for a number of years. (Think Grealish)
Eriksen wasn’t replaced because of a combination of not being able to sell him and making a mess of trying to get the players we wanted to replace him.
All of the above is just my opinion based on looking from the outside. We could of course both be wrong.

Don’t think so. Ndombele was 100% Mousa Dembeles replacement and one we had wanted for over a year.
Lo Celso was signed as an 8/10 hybrid, another position we had been looking to strengthen for a number of years. (Think Grealish)
Eriksen wasn’t replaced because of a combination of not being able to sell him and making a mess of trying to get the players we wanted to replace him.
All of the above is just my opinion based on looking from the outside. We could of course both be wrong.

That was my impression as well, that Poch wanted more depth to the team (which we needed) and that we wanted both Lo Celso and Fernandes but couldn’t get the Fernandes deal through.

I don't think we looked for direct Eriksen or Dembele replacements.

I think we looked for players who could potentially do what both did but with more versatility.

Lo Celso is a lot better defensively than Eriksen, Ndombele is alot better offensively than Dembele - but Dembele was better defensively than Ndombele and Eriksen was better creatively than Lo Celso.

However, Dembele couldn't play in a 3 for us successfully and Eriksen wasn't really as effective beyond playing in attack. Lo Celso can play as a midfield two with the right partner, he can play out wide and he can play further forward. Ndombele can play in a midfield 3 and is a lot better offensively than Dembele was etc.

The issue is, they came into a team with a coach who really didn't know how to play either of them as well as playing his usual favourites he made his career from (Dele, Eriksen, Dier in midfield etc).

Pochettino knew we HAD to adapt and evolve (by moving away from 4231 to perhaps 433) because he knew we couldn't replace what Dembele did for us like for like, because he knew our wing backs weren't as threatening as they were before, because he knew Eriksen was leaving and because he knew that the best centre back pairing he had in the Premier League was dying.

He just didn't know how to.

I am not sure we could easily shoe horn all of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Fernandes into one team - which is why IMO we were only ever in for two of them. And I cant see us spending the amounts required (which would meant the three being the highest transfer fees ever paid by Spurs) to having one of them sat on a bench - we'd have spent more money on a different position..

In hindsight it looks like a mistake to have bought Ndomebele (although he might still come good) but he was undoubtedly bought to provide creativity from the CM position as there was no like for like relacement of Dembele. So obviously now it looks like Ferdinand would have been the better option to buy - that's just a footballing judgement mistake : it happens.

Lo Celso played more of a 10 role at Betis, but with Ndombele not playing has played further back than expected, still providing creativity but too far back to get the assists and goals which he was getting at Betis.

And in January we brought in Bergwijn, probably again to add an extra creative option, but from a different position - in the Dutch league he got about 5 goals and 10 assists in the first half of 19/20 and 14 goals and 12 assists in 18/19 - so Bergwijn is providing both creativity and goals from the wider positions

Lastly, Eriksen played as a no 10 and much of our play went through him. Fewer no 10's are played these days, with more sides preferring play to go through several players rather than just a single no 10 - and I dont think that point would have beeen lost on Spurs, and hence their decision not to go for a 'like for like' player.

All of which suggests that whilst I may not be 100% correct, I'd suggest you are wrong to think we would have planned to buy all 3 of Fernandes, Lo Celso and N'dombele.

I can’t help but feel like some on here overate Gio a tad...

He’s got a nice burst of pace and manipulates the ball well with his left foot, but we’re kidding ourselves if we think he’s going to be in Christian’s class by next season.

He’s extremely left footed and seems to lack Christian’s penetration in the final third. I get they are“different”, but we’ve already got a lot of one footed players who like to dribble into people.

Hope I’m wrong!

Last edited:
Lo Celso has probably been the highlight of the season for me.

I think his quality is clear to see and if you play him closer to Kane we will see plenty of goals and assists.

As things stand, our midfield is such a state that he is being forced to play deeper - a role which he can also do very effectively.

If Ndombele hadn't had such a write-off of a season we could currently be boasting a very exciting midfield.

I can’t help but feel like some on here overate Gio a tad...

He’s got a nice burst of pace and manipulates the ball well with his left foot, but we’re kidding ourselves if we think he’s going to be in Christian’s class by next season.

He’s extremely left footed and seems to lack Christian’s penetration in the final third. I get there “different”, but we’ve already got a lot of one footed players who like to dribble into people.

Hope I’m wrong!
I agree. I think he looks decent and could well get better but there isnt too much to get excited about as this stage. I think he may be better in a midfield 2 taking on the Modric type roll. I think we need an Eriksen replacement, particulaly if N'Dombele doesn't step up. We really lack creativity.

Still think in a 4-3-3 we’ve, in theory, got the players to excel.

Son - Kane - XXX
GLC - XXX - NDombele

Right now that front position on the right would be between Bergwijn/Lamela/Alli and middle would be Skipp/Winks so both upgradable

Lo Celso is a terrier who gets stuck in and can play a bit, in no way is he comparable to Eriksen.

If you're looking for a frame, you might in fact think about his compatriot Lamela, who has similar attributes.

I absolutely agree he could offer more goals and assists.

How did we sign Ndombele instead of Bruno ?

Back
Top Bottom