Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is my first transfer window on the Fighting Cock. I suspect it's the same here as everywhere, predominantly full of fans that have transfer window amnesia.
You should be like me and avoid the transfer threads, as not good for your blood pressure. I'll believe a transfer when it is has been announced by the Club, all the rest of it is "pie in the sky".

You should be like me and avoid the transfer threads, as not good for your blood pressure. I'll believe a transfer when it is has been announced by the Club, all the rest of it is "pie in the sky".

Expect little, and then everything else is a bonus.
The only way Spurs would spend a whole lot of money would be if players retired or left on a free. Either way, players have to leave for new ones to join.

I can't see why so many fans, on so many forums, can't seem to remember this simple equation from one window to the next. Every window there is mass hysteria and delusion about how we will conduct ourselves.

Even if there is £100,000,000 earmarked for players, we can only have a 25 man squad. Players have to go in order for players to come.

After watching a few of this guys videos, I do worry that he doesn't have the pace for the premier league or the strength to hold people off. A lot of his game relies on playing the ball ahead of himself/the opposition and running onto it, that might work in Spain but he isn't exactly bristling with pace. He does have a great range of passing though and may finally be the Modric replacement we have always wanted.

Anyone got any ideas why we're buying so many central midfielders? With Sissoki, Winks, Ndomble, Dier and Wanyama we look set, you can only assume 1-2 of them are leaving if we sign Celso.

After watching a few of this guys videos, I do worry that he doesn't have the pace for the premier league or the strength to hold people off. A lot of his game relies on playing the ball ahead of himself/the opposition and running onto it, that might work in Spain but he isn't exactly bristling with pace. He does have a great range of passing though and may finally be the Modric replacement we have always wanted.

Anyone got any ideas why we're buying so many central midfielders? With Sissoki, Winks, Ndomble, Dier and Wanyama we look set, you can only assume 1-2 of them are leaving if we sign Celso.
Tricky one. I see Sissoko, despite being great last year, seen as someone whose game time will be reduced by virtue of rotation and Ndombele coming in as a default starter when acclimatised. Wanyama seems properly crocked now. Dier, with question marks over Toby's future and Foyth seemingly being converted into a RB (also injured pretty badly) I think may see more minutes as a CB than we expect.
So I don't think our central midfield is as deep as at first glance.

Plus a change to a 4-3-3 may see us needing someone like Lo Celso more than when we were going 4-2-3-1.

Nice to see you back, by the way, Jayc1 Jayc1 . Either I've not spotted your posts or you haven't been around for a while!

Dier, with question marks over Toby's future and Foyth seemingly being converted into a RB (also injured pretty badly) I think may see more minutes as a CB than we expect.

I'd be pretty disappointed with that, I think Toby will be here until next year and then leave on a free. When he goes we need an entirely new replacement, Dier won't cut it. At 25 he should be entering his prime, yet constantly seems injured and unable to capture the form he had 2 years ago. Would not surprise me to see him move to somewhere like Watford, Everton or Leicester this year or next.

I forgot we have Oliver Skipp too as a CM choice.

Nice to see you back, by the way, Jayc1 Jayc1 @Jayc1 . Either I've not spotted your posts or you haven't been around for a while!

Thought I'd just pop in to see peoples thoughts before the season starts, don't get your hopes up it won't be a regular thing! =P But I appreciate the kind words. Surprising to see that people are upset about our summer transfers when you consider we've managed to keep hold of Toby and Eriksen alongside spending £60-70m. I use to be called a melt here, but compared to some of the newer faces I'm the picture of composure!

It's been a decent summer, if we manage to get Celso/Fernandes and Sessegnon it will have been a great one, although I do worry about the contract situations next year and the squad does have deadwood (Nkoudou seems to be in perpetual purgatory, his longest premier league appearance being just 17 minutes).

I'd be pretty disappointed with that, I think Toby will be here until next year and then leave on a free. When he goes we need an entirely new replacement, Dier won't cut it. At 25 he should be entering his prime, yet constantly seems injured and unable to capture the form he had 2 years ago. Would not surprise me to see him move to somewhere like Watford, Everton or Leicester this year or next.

Holy crap, I forgot to mention Skipp in that list too. The funny thing is that he's showing more than Dier at this stage (though maybe one has to be careful regarding drawing too many conclusions from pre-season) which a much much higher ceiling.
Thought I'd just pop in to see peoples thoughts before the season starts, don't get your hopes up it won't be a regular thing! =P But I appreciate the kind words. Surprising to see that people are upset about our summer transfers when you consider we've managed to keep hold of Toby and Eriksen alongside spending £60-70m. I use to be called a melt here, but compared to some of the newer faces I'm the picture of composure!
Well you've definitely picked the right four days to grab some popcorn and enjoy either a meltdown or a transfer-driven-collective-orgasm.
It's been a decent summer, if we manage to get Celso/Fernandes and Sessegnon it will have been a great one, although I do worry about the contract situations next year and the squad does have deadwood (Nkoudou seems to be in perpetual purgatory, his longest premier league appearance being just 17 minutes).
It's hardly been terrible, but I'll admit that I wouldn't be happy if we stopped our business right now. If Ndombele (top top pick though he is, and indeed by number 1 choice) is the only proper new signing in two years' worth of summer transfer windows then I don't see it as doing much more than fixing the loss of Dembele after the fact.

Contrary to your point about Eriksen and Toby 'staying' - their situation is making me feel twitchy. At this point, I'm not so much fearing heartbreak over either leaving, but terrified of Eriksen walking for free. To be honest, I'd have just preferred both of them being sorted this summer one way or the other.

But hey, here's hoping that dear Daniel knocks it out of the park before the deadline.

No we haven't. Their value is eroding like sand through our fingers.

At this point, the value of keeping Toby and losing him on a free outweighs £30 mil. Once you hit £40-50 mil maybe it's worth selling, but considering no one would even pay his clause of £25 mil a week ago I don't think someone is going to double that now.

I disagree that Eriksens value is eroding, I'm sure in the next month we can get £40-60 million for him if need be. Clubs will panic and he isn't a bad player to have. It doesn't seem like any of the big European clubs have spent their budget yet.

My worry would be that we sell him too late and don't buy a replacement, which is the real issue.

Holy crap, I forgot to mention Skipp in that list too. The funny thing is that he's showing more than Dier at this stage (though maybe one has to be careful regarding drawing too many conclusions from pre-season) which a much much higher ceiling.

Well, it is not too tall order to show more than Dier in preseason, given that Dier won't participate in it :D
I could show more promise in there just by stepping on the field.

I agree that I would not want to see Dier as Toby replacement. We need some proper world class CB's (like Verts and Toby has been for years now!) not someone who is "a decent option" :)

Dier had one bad season regarding injuries, I agree. But too early to write him off just yet. If the struggles continue, then yea, we need to reassess the situation. For now, I'm hoping he'll get over the fitness issues and be back at his best coming season (though it is bit of an uphill task, given he missed preseason and trio of Ndombele, Sissoko and Winks ((in that order)) seem to be ahead of him in the pecking order).

he's very expensive... I don't know what to think. I watched him on TV when he was PSG player and wasn't impressed

Keep being told he was played out of position at PSG. This is why he didn't impress and was loaned to Betis, with a guaranteed purchase price. He then excelled at Betis in his natural position. PSG were none too happy and tried to buy him back immediately after selling him (as they had no say in the matter)

I have never seen him play so can't say if he's any good or not.
It's probably because of this that RM were never going to let Ceballos out on loan with a purchase clause.

Stick to the Toilet thread

Back
Top Bottom