Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's actually shocking to think he had so many supporters on here.
Think he was found out quite early on as well. Struggling to get games until a little run of games under Mourinho where he started looking like football wasn't a new concept to him.
jeeps he had a few big chances....

Kicks the ball like like a shy little 5 year old girl. Never seen him absolutely smash a ball.

I think you're being harsh on 5 year old girls, TBH.

Eddie Murphy Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

It's actually shocking to think he had so many supporters on here.
Think he was found out quite early on as well. Struggling to get games until a little run of games under Mourinho where he started looking like football wasn't a new concept to him.

I do think there's a better player there than we've seen, and I think a lot of the sentiment towards him was just hoping to see what he could do with a nice injury-free run of games under his belt. He never looked like he had adequate time to really settle into the league or the side. From the time he joined in 2019 to the point he went on loan, he went through 5 managers...

I'm not defending really him and my belief in him as a PL player is gone, but I do understand the sentiment that he didn't have a really smooth ride here either.

I just don't think he cares about playing for THFC.
I only watched him live once and he just looked like he was going through the motions.
He has never been awful for us or not appeared to be trying hard but you just sense he'd rather be somewhere else.

I only watched him live once and he just looked like he was going through the motions.
He has never been awful for us or not appeared to be trying hard but you just sense he'd rather be somewhere else.
He will definitely be one of those players that leaves us and has a good club career, we were just the wrong fit at the time. I think he will be like Trippier, go somewhere in Spain and reignite his star, maybe young enough to get another move to a big club once his prime gets going. But if Conte doesn't want him I'd rather cash in, Conte has handed the likes of Doherty, Davies, Sanchez big second chances to be part of the squad, the few that he has fucked off I am tempted to believe are beyond salvation in this team.

He has..... At least, he ought to have ripped up the ECL & EL, but he was poor in most games.

Last edited:
I can’t think of a single stand out attribute he has. I think that says a lot about him. You want your creative midfielders to get you on the edge of your seat, Gio was just OK at most things.

The fee paid sounds about right. He’s not more than a 20m midfielder. He’s just a tidy enough player who fits in well at Villarreal amongst many other quite mediocre footballers.

Holy shit, now I am not that surprised that he ended up with so little goal tally for us... What chances he missed 🤦‍♂️
Him and Bergwijn completely tanked Mourinho's second season. Him with the miss against chelsea and Bergwijn with the double miss against Liverpool.

After the latter, Mourinho went full cunt mode, and the team lost all confidence.

Him and Bergwijn completely tanked Mourinho's second season. Him with the miss against chelsea and Bergwijn with the double miss against Liverpool.

After the latter, Mourinho went full cunt mode, and the team lost all confidence.

Hmm, interesting take.
I have a coping mechanism that has blurred out majority of Mou time - can you help me remember, how high we would have got / stayed if we would have won those games :D ?

But what I remember - Bergwijn tanked his own confidence with this Liverpool miss as well. After that he did not look quite the same...

I was never clear what position GLC was supposed to play for us. He wasn't a replacement for either Dembele (too weak) or Eriksen (no track record as a good passer).

So where was he supposed to play???

Hmm, interesting take.
I have a coping mechanism that has blurred out majority of Mou time - can you help me remember, how high we would have got / stayed if we would have won those games :D ?

But what I remember - Bergwijn tanked his own confidence with this Liverpool miss as well. After that he did not look quite the same...
It was game week 10, we played Chelsea. We were shit, so were they. It was 0-0 into the last 5 mins or so, and Lo Celso had an decent chance that he couldn't even get on target.

We were still top of the table, ahead of Liverpool on goal difference. If we'd won that game we would have been 3 points clear at the top of the table.

We matched Liverpool's results until game week 13, when we went head to head. They won 2-1 after Bergwijn screwed up two 1v1s againt the keeper. If we'd won THIS game, we'd have been 3 points clear at the top of the table.

That was the beginning of the end, our results become incosistent, and then consistently shit.

He will definitely be one of those players that leaves us and has a good club career, we were just the wrong fit at the time. I think he will be like Trippier, go somewhere in Spain and reignite his star, maybe young enough to get another move to a big club once his prime gets going. But if Conte doesn't want him I'd rather cash in, Conte has handed the likes of Doherty, Davies, Sanchez big second chances to be part of the squad, the few that he has fucked off I am tempted to believe are beyond salvation in this team.

There is no comparison to Trippier, he was a very good player for Tottenham over several seasons. Gio is a nobody.

I was never clear what position GLC was supposed to play for us. He wasn't a replacement for either Dembele (too weak) or Eriksen (no track record as a good passer).

So where was he supposed to play???

He was definitely signed to replace Eriksen off the back of his goal record at Betis. His time there was clearly an anomaly because the man can’t actually kick the ball properly.

He simply wasn't made for the EPL. And it is time for him to leave. For the fee Spurs paid he was a flop, yes.
But I still don't take any schadenfreude from seeing a video of any Spurs that's complied just to humiliate the player.
If one made a video compilation of any top player's mistakes there would be even more "big chances missed" than in this video.
Kane and Son had horrible misses this/last season but they are still world-class. Even world-class players make silly mistakes.
If one put up Kulusevski's fumble and stumble trying to pass to Son (vs Norwich) you'd think he was Charlie Chaplin.
I wish Lo Celso well at his new club (except if he should play against Spurs some time).

He was pretty lazy and offered little overall. Couldn't be bothered to play in the domestic cup competitions. I'm really glad he'll be off our books for good.

Hmm, interesting take.

+ 6 points = top 4.

Although I'd look towards:

Villa (H) > Harry-gate
Leeds (A) > Harry-gate
Newcastle (H) & (A)
Everton (A)
WHam (H)
+ Zagreb (A)

He gets off sooooo much. Yes Tanguy a fat joke but this fool was worse. Like he won a fucking competition or kidnapped the real Locelso. Never seen a pro hit a ball as badly as this. Oh and he's a fucking dickhead won't be missed.

100%.

Tanguy’s a waste of talent but at least he had a few moments I can remember. Can’t think of anything with Gio other than missing that sitter vs Liverpool. Just a thoroughly forgettable player.

There were times I (wrongly) thought Ndombele might make it here. Never felt that with Lo Celso after his first few months. Nothing footballer..

Back
Top Bottom