Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The lad himself says Sellso in the vid.

It's an Italian surname so would have been Chelso originally, but in Spanish the C before an E or I is pronounced like an English S.

Yeah that's exactly right. Like tons of Argentine's including Poch he's of Italian heritage, so it's an Italian name being sort of merged into Spanish.

Betcha his grandparents say Chelso.

The lad himself says Sellso in the vid.

It's an Italian surname so would have been Chelso originally, but in Spanish the C before an E or I is pronounced like an English S.
My surname begins with Ci, and pronounced Chee (Italian origin), and I always correct people when they get it wrong, although I don't expect them to get it right. Ch in Italian is pronounced Ck, so we all pronounce Poch's name incorrectly too, but he said in an early interview that it doesn't bother him, Gio is probably the same.

It's LO CELSO ffs
On the UEFA website they have a page specifically to present the correct pronunciation of certain players that pundits/general public have problems with. They have this definition as the agreed pronunciation:
Giovani Lo Celso – Gee-oh-var-ni Low Sell-so

I'm going to order a #18 shirt with Lo Chelso printed on the back.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom