Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lo Celso is a terrier who gets stuck in and can play a bit, in no way is he comparable to Eriksen.

If you're looking for a frame, you might in fact think about his compatriot Lamela, who has similar attributes.

I absolutely agree he could offer more goals and assists.

We play him as an 8 in a Modric type role rather than 10. If we played him further forward then yes, ideally we get Ndombele fit and get a DM inbehind then we can push him into a more attacking role like he played for Real Betis

I can’t help but feel like some on here overate Gio a tad...

He’s got a nice burst of pace and manipulates the ball well with his left foot, but we’re kidding ourselves if we think he’s going to be in Christian’s class by next season.

He’s extremely left footed and seems to lack Christian’s penetration in the final third. I get they are“different”, but we’ve already got a lot of one footed players who like to dribble into people.

Hope I’m wrong!

The Hood is the worst culprit:mourhandlaugh:

Serious question, do you really think a player will stand out in a midfield alongside Winks and Sissoko? Gio came from an amazing season with Betis, but playing AM. Now he comes here, hás to play in a different position with two donkeys next him. Look at how much defensive work he does here, cause Sissoko and Winks ain't doing shit. And Sissoko playing a more ofensive roll than him lot of times... It's frustraiting to watch our midfield, and Gio was very good this season despite that, give the guy a break.

Our right wing is solid, with the trio of lamela bergwin and lucas. Sure not one of them is on the class of Kane and son but, few are, and sometimes a complimentary piece to two excellent forwards is better than another excellent forward. Too many cooks and all that..

What we are dying for is a true defensive mid who can hopefully allow Ndombele and lo Celso to be on the pitch at once. Only then will we see what we have (or don't have).

And a right back of course but that's obvious to everyone but levy it seems.

And a right back of course but that's obvious to everyone but levy it seems.

For me isn't that obviou too. Plenty of players that offers less than Aurier in our starting eleven, like Dier, Winks and Sissoko. Those three would be the first I would send to te bench. Sissoko doesn't even fit the bench I think, really poor player.

For me isn't that obviou too. Plenty of players that offers less than Aurier in our starting eleven, like Dier, Winks and Sissoko. Those three would be the first I would send to te bench. Sissoko doesn't even fit the bench I think, really poor player.

Well one of Winks or Sissoko is going to the bench with us bringing in a DM and there is a good chance the other goes to the bench with Ndombele coming into the starting 11 as well.

Sanchez is the easy Dier replacement and he is lightyears better than Aurier so that should take away your concerns. ignoring of course that even though I am no fan of either Dier or Winks and think they should be nowhere near our starting 11 they are both much better than Aurier.

Well one of Winks or Sissoko is going to the bench with us bringing in a DM and there is a good chance the other goes to the bench with Ndombele coming into the starting 11 as well.

Sanchez is the easy Dier replacement and he is lightyears better than Aurier so that should take away your concerns. ignoring of course that even though I am no fan of either Dier or Winks and think they should be nowhere near our starting 11 they are both much better than Aurier.

Not sure about that with Jose in charge. I'd bet good money you'll see either Winks/Sissoko plus the new DM as the default starters.

Unless we go 442 he's always favoured a double-pivot in front of the back 4.

Not sure about that with Jose in charge. I'd bet good money you'll see either Winks/Sissoko plus the new DM as the default starters.

With the amount they played this year anything is possible with those two, but if we go into next season with a MF of something like Winks-Hojbjerg-Lo Celso with our same front 3 this year we may be competing for the lowest GF total in PL history unless Kane has one of the greatest seasons in EPL history.

I know Jose is a conservative, defensive coach but even he has to see the MF created nothing outside of Lo Celso and adding a player like Hojbjerg does nothing to change this.

Also I can't see how this club can keep a 60 million dollar player on the bench, he either has to start or be sold to bring in a replacement player.

There is a lot to criticize Jose for but I don't think he is stupid and setting up a MF with Winks or Sissoko in it next year is flat out stupid.

I think people are forgetting that Winks broke into the first team as a ball carrying box to box midfielder. A tricky little player that was/is comfortable with the ball in tight spaces and could break through lines. He's adopted a more conservative playing style more out of necessity with all of our DMs either leaving/getting injured or converting to CBs. We've been forced into having Winks and Sissoko working together to do what a DM normally does by themselves.

If we get a DM or a holding midfielder more comfortable in that role (Höjbjerg) I think Winks will be allowed to revert back to his old model of playing. At which point he would be the one pushing Ndombele (If he can find his fitness) for a starting spot, either in a double pivot or in a 4-3-3.

Last edited:
stopspot agree with what you say except I'm not so sure Winks will be able to go back to old role of ball carrying player, yes muscle memory will be there but he's not done it for years, most of us see that we have needed a DM for a few years, so why can't Poch or his coaching team see it and force Levy's hand into getting one,

I've never in my life seen winks break through a line, or even try to. And I've watched most games he's played for the senior team. He's never been a cm who looks to break lines.

I would have loved winks to have scotty Ps defensive chops but he doesn't unfortunately. And he's closer to being a scott than a modric.

I've never in my life seen winks break through a line, or even try to. And I've watched most games he's played for the senior team. He's never been a cm who looks to break lines.

I would have loved winks to have scotty Ps defensive chops but he doesn't unfortunately. And he's closer to being a scott than a modric.

I agree I would have loved Winks to be a top cm but unfortunately he is not. He is not one thing or the other. He is not great at defending he cannot pick a pass or shoot but he can dribble . That means he is exactly like Sissoko and Gio but Gio can sometimes see a pass . None of them are great though just look how many goals and assists they have . Not many

I agree I would have loved Winks to be a top cm but unfortunately he is not. He is not one thing or the other. He is not great at defending he cannot pick a pass or shoot but he can dribble . That means he is exactly like Sissoko and Gio but Gio can sometimes see a pass . None of them are great though just look how many goals and assists they have . Not many

Agree on winks. Strongly disagree on gio.

Modric didn't have many assists either. Playing as a pivot 2, your role is to make the pass that leads to the pass that makes the assist. You're the start of the attack, not the end. Gio also moves forward and breaks lines when appropriate. Winks.. just doesn't. They're different players.

Back
Top Bottom