Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree that they should play together. But Lo Celso should be the number 10.

We are a entirely different team when he is playing there.

Swapping throughout the game could be smart.

We know Ndombeles defensive deficiencies, but we also know his ability in receiving the ball from deep and progressing the ball upfield, whether it be from a line splitting pass or a dribble.

Just waiting to see what Mourinho says on Ndombele in his presser - hopefully it's nothing more than Ndombele played 40 odd minutes on Thursday and got a good 45 minutes under his belt today with a hand in our important equalising goal.

Would love to see Ndombele and Lo Celso together against Orient or in Macedonia.
I think we need them more in Macedonia. Sadly, against Orient we may need to take some risk

I am expecting Mou to say that Ndombele sub was planned (I could see that happening myself around the 60th minute anyway). Let's see what he says

Such a wonderful talent.

Once he replaces Winks for good - we'll look much better.

People think we'll look weaker defensively with the likes of Lo Celso and Ndombele in there with Hojbjerg - but this is a myth. GLCs work rate is unmatched in our team and he adds much more overall, especially defensively.
I agree that they should play together. But Lo Celso should be the number 10. Once again, today he showed that the team is a entirely different beast when he is playing there.

He's a great player but I'm not convinced he's at his best playing as a 10. There were couple of occasions even today where he didn't see a through ball that prime Eriksen would have made nine times out of ten. I think Ndombele would be better in those situations as well. Maybe we'll get a number 10 as Dele seems to be leaving.

It was a creative shape in the second half, with Lo Celso kinda sitting above PEH and Winks in a 4-3-3 inverted triangle. Finding a way to play a 10-type role in a front 3.
That's what I've been saying. It's not a traditional midfield 3. More like a 2+1. But Lo Celso must be the "1".

Swapping throughout the game could be smart.

We know Ndombeles defensive deficiencies, but we also know his ability in receiving the ball from deep and progressing the ball upfield, whether it be from a line splitting pass or a dribble.
I agree, and this is one of the advantages of having Lo Celso ahead in midfield. He is intelligent enough to swap with Ndombele whenever it's necessary. The opposite is not necessarily truth.

Last edited:
That's what I've been saying. It's not a traditional midfield 3. More like a 2+1. But Lo Celso must be the "1".

The trouble is, where does Ndombele play in that arrangement?

The way to get all of the best players on the field is to have Lo Celso and Ndombele as dual 8's in a 4-3-3.

But then who is the 6? The work rate of the aforementioned two helps, but still no one quite fits the bill.

I was disagreeing with those who said Hojbjerg didn't make sense for us when he signed, but I'm starting to see I might be wrong.

He has a bit of everything about him, which is great. Has a nasty side to him and matches it with his workrate. At times final ball lets him down but I'm always more confident with us winning when he's starting.

If he’s playing with Ndombele, he needs to be the deeper player. Lo Celso has the intelligence and mentality for the role, even if his ideal position may be further up. PEH needs reliability around him since he’s not a true DM and it’d free up Ndombele to go do his weird genius thing.

It's not about individual brilliance. And not taking away anything from Ndombele - if it's a choice between him and Dele Alli, I'd go with Ndombele every time.

But we are a entirely different team when Lo Celso is playing as a 10. He coordinates the whole team in the right directions - with and without the ball.

Hopefully we can see in the future a Ndombele-Hojbjerg pivot, with Lo Celso (And Bale, and Sonny and Kane) ahead of them.

My favorite player.
Ndombele is better playing deeper. Lo Celso is plays well as a 10. They actually compliment each other quite well.

No reason they can't play together in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

I guess the better thing to say is that Ndombele and Lo Celso can and should be on the pitch together and Mourinho needs to figure out how. I think there's a bunch of different ways to do it without compromising the team defensively.

it’s a tough one, but in a Mourinho system I actually think Lo Celso should be the one deeper if we are playing them both in a 2+1. He has the bite and tenacity to make it work, he’s also dictates the game better but doesn’t quite have the vision of Tanguy.

I can see either of them working there under another manager, and I would be happy to be proved wrong on the above assessment.

The only thing I will say that I am certain of is we definitely NEED to get them both on the pitch together. I know the opposition was poor on Thursday but the link up between the two for Ndombele’s goal was sublime. They are both extremely talented young midfielders that appeared on the same wave length with out having hardly featured together at all.

I hope Mou can make it happen, come on Jose prove me wrong! I’ve been giving you shit all year, shut us haters up, play your best players and find a system that gets the best out of them!

I guess the better thing to say is that Ndombele and Lo Celso can and should be on the pitch together and Mourinho needs to figure out how. I think there's a bunch of different ways to do it without compromising the team defensively.

We should try to play him in the 10 role behind two strikers (Kane + Bale, Son + Kane, or Son + Bale if Kane is on the bench) to see how it goes. The non-striker of Son and Bale plays as a LM or RM.

it’s a tough one, but in a Mourinho system I actually think Lo Celso should be the one deeper if we are playing them both in a 2+1. He has the bite and tenacity to make it work, he’s also dictates the game better but doesn’t quite have the vision of Tanguy.

I can see either of them working there under another manager, and I would be happy to be proved wrong on the above assessment.

The only thing I will say that I am certain of is we definitely NEED to get them both on the pitch together. I know the opposition was poor on Thursday but the link up between the two for Ndombele’s goal was sublime. They are both extremely talented young midfielders that appeared on the same wave length with out having hardly featured together at all.

I hope Mou can make it happen, come on Jose prove me wrong! I’ve been giving you shit all year, shut us haters up, play your best players and find a system that gets the best out of them!
The thing is to get both of them on the pitch we needed a monster DM and and we got Hobo instead.

You're an intelligent guy, but you're wrong.

Lo Celso needs to play as a 10. The whole team looks better when he is coordinating things from an advanced position. Ndombele has a place in the team, next to Hojbjerg - he would play instead of Winks.

Don't get me wrong, Ndombele is brilliant; capable of extraordinary skills, passes, through balls. But he works in moments of brilliance.

Lo Celso could drop deep in specific moments to open spaces for Ndombele to come from behind - but the Argentinian should be the one with the perrogative to do it (again, he truly understands how the team needs to work).

As for the defensive aspect of things, Winks is not developing - at least not yet - into the DM Jose would like him to be. He's got time on his side, of course. But at the moment, if Ndombele is doing his best - in matches and training - I don't think we would lose that much without the ball.

Hojbjerg + Ndombele, and Lo Celso as a 10.

Last edited:
Passes were a bit out v Plovdiv but I believe he had a hat trick of "assists to an assist" v Southampton.
Certainly 2 great passes to Harry who assisted Son and I believe it was GLC who played the ball to Lamela whose shot hit the post for H to score from the rebound.
Can't wait until he is 100% fit.

You're an intelligent guy, but you're wrong.

Lo Celso needs to play as a 10. The whole team looks better when he is coordinating things from an advanced position. Ndombele has a place in the team, next to Hojbjerg - he would play instead of Winks.

Don't get me wrong, Ndombele is brilliant; capable of extraordinary skills, passes, through balls. But he works in moments of brilliance.

Lo Celso could drop deep in specific moments to open spaces for Ndombele to come from behind - but the Argentinian should be the one with the perrogative to do it (again, he truly understands how the team needs to work).

As for the defensive aspect of things, Winks is not developing - at least not yet - into the DM Jose would like him to be. He's got time on his side, of course. But at the moment, if Ndombele is doing his best - in matches and training - I don't think we would lose that much without the ball.

Hojbjerg + Ndombele, and Lo Celso as a 10.

Agree with this.

Ndombele is not a 10. If he can get up to full fitness he will be great alongside PEH feeding Lo Celso and the front 3.

In fairness there is a lot of flexiblility in the system and they will all interchange a fair bit but we will be something special with both on the pitch.

Didn't Lo Celso play as a DM at PSG on occasion? It's not his preferred role by all accounts but it would help get our best players on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom