Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am not specifically jumping on his case nor am I suggesting to sell him. But after the season got wrapped up, I took a look at stats.

Across two full seasons with Spurs he has 3676 minutes (equivalent of 41 full games; ~20,5 per season).
Out of which 2435 has come from EPL (27 full games) - that is just 35,5% of the total chances.

I would not add goals and assist numbers, as he has played also in deeper positions. But what I saw this season, he was not really spectacularly good or outstanding. He is clearly an upgrade on Winks and Sissoko, I think we can all agree with this but given he cost us 48 million - 16mEUR of loan fee + 32 mEUR to make it permanent (as far as I know, you can correct me). That makes him our 2nd most expensive puchase ever.

I'd say that on general terms he has been extremely bad return for that kind of investment.
Of course this season turmoil nor the injuries have helped his case, but still. For 48 million you would expect at least certain starter and one of the bright spots for the squad. Up to now he has been neither.

Hope he can turn things around in future of course. At least age could be on his side, given he just became 25.
Yep he and Ndombele were both good signings on the face of it: young, talented and highly rated players with a lot of potential.

Two years later it's safe to say neither have completely delivered due to fitness/attitude/poor coaching issues or whatever.

That being said, I will always give more slack to proper "footballers" ahead of the Winks, Sissokos and Diers of this world.

These two have bags of talent and we need to add more technical ability to the squad not take it away. The bulk of our squad are plodders.

Also, there's no way we get anywhere near what we paid for them so no point selling at a discount to then have to replace them and still add to the squad further.

Yep he and Ndombele were both good signings on the face of it: young, talented and highly rated players with a lot of potential.

Two years later it's safe to say neither have completely delivered due to fitness/attitude/poor coaching issues or whatever.

That being said, I will always give more slack to proper "footballers" ahead of the Winks, Sissokos and Diers of this world.

These two have bags of talent and we need to add more technical ability to the squad not take it away. The bulk of our squad are plodders.

Also, there's no way we get anywhere near what we paid for them so no point selling at a discount to then have to replace them and still add to the squad further.

Yep, pretty much agreed to everything you said.

I would not use the logic "we will not recoup what we paid for" as sole argument not to sell, cause sometimes the value could further decrease and in that instance it might make sense to sell player at half the purchase price, but I don't think neither Lo Celso nor Ndombele would be the case.

But yea, if we look at them together, it is really painful to think - we shipped out 108 million euros and got ... well.. two wild cards. While generally speaking buying 2 players worth 54 mil each could and should be expected to be star-players. Though it could be worse, we could have paid 80 mil for an absolute crap from France like gooners did the same summer :D :D

Really-really hope that new coach can find a way to use midfield of
--Ndombele---Lo Celso------
----------Hjojberg--------------

With sufficient help from CB, fullbacks and AM department.

Last time Lo Celso started against Chile, 2 months after joining Spurs and after 2 short sub appearances, he was badly crocked and missed next couple of months.

Prayers required this time ?

Playing very well for Argentina. Looking forward to seeing more of Gio, Ndombele and Bergwijn post Mourinho. A shame that 18 months of coaching malpractice has convinced many that these players aren't up to it.

Lo Celso always seems to play well for Argentina, it’s amazing what happens when he can players around him that show movement and have basic football IQ. If he can stay fit he is a very good player.

The guy has intelligence and a bit of fight in him too. Just annoys me that he can’t strike a ball. A lot of under hit passes and slow curling shots.
With a functioning system around him and less niggles/injuries, he’ll come great.

Many seem to have forgot he was our most consistent player during the 2nd half of ‘19-‘20 season.

What is Fonseca-ball?

Found it:​

www.dictionary.com

Fonseca-Ball [ fon-sek-uh-bawl]

noun​

1. the act of defining, or of making footballers better. Giving definite, distinct, or clear instruction to humans of a lower IQ, but who also happen to be multimillionaire sportsmen : We need a better tactical definition of his attacking and positional responsibilities.

2. The opposite of outdated Portugese Dinosaur-Ball

3. '80s Double-Act icon Bobby's Portugese Uncle!

Last edited:
I think he's decent and would keep him, unlike many other players we have. But the fact he plays in the same national side as Messi really does do funny things with some Spurs fans view of him as a player, in my opinion.

I think he's decent and would keep him, unlike many other players we have. But the fact he plays in the same national side as Messi really does do funny things with some Spurs fans view of him as a player, in my opinion.

Weird take....

Does the same apply to Foyth (and Lamela before him)?

....I doubt most even watch Argentina games.

Back
Top Bottom