Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GLC was great all tournament and very good last night.

It was clear how much better he is in a system that uses him properly and actually has attacking intentions. Unfortunately we still don't have that but his talent is enough he could still be successful even with Nuno trying to hold him back.

I don’t think he was great last night, but he was swapped because Scaloni switched to a more defensive 442 type shape and he wanted Tagliafico on the left of the midfield 4, in a more defensive type remit.
Also GLC was playing LM in what was essentially a 4-4-2, giving him major defensive responsiblities.

He nearly put Messi in once with a good pass, but he's clearly not a LM in a flat midfield 4, and I can't see him playing that position under Nuno.

Not least because NES likes wing backs and Reguilon & Sessegnon are ideal for that system.

I think Gio was one of Argentina's best players throughout the tournament. He made some dribbles and passes I have never seen him make on Spurs. We need him to play that way for us, feel free to do a trick and see what happens.

He needs to play along Hojbjerg or in front of Hojbjerg/Skipp. Asking Gio to put in defensive work is basically asking him to get a yellow.

Also GLC was playing LM in what was essentially a 4-4-2, giving him major defensive responsiblities.

He nearly put Messi in once with a good pass, but he's clearly not a LM in a flat midfield 4, and I can't see him playing that position under Nuno.

Not least because NES likes wing backs and Reguilon & Sessegnon are ideal for that system.

I could be wrong but it seemed to play more like a lopsided 433 when GLC was on, he seemed to be playing much narrower than when Tagliafico came on and stayed wide.

Why was he subbed after an hour?
In your opinion.

Because Argentina was up and wanted to shore up defense, Gio was on a yellow and they already had replaced Parades so he is the guy that makes sense to come off at that point.

I could be wrong but it seemed to play more like a lopsided 433 when GLC was on, he seemed to be playing much narrower than when Tagliafico came on and stayed wide.
It was basically a 4-4-2, with Di Maria & GLC having some license to get forward, as Di Maria showed when he scored the winning goal.

So yes, GLC tucked in more than Di Maria who's pacier, but defensively it often looked like an old-fashioned 4-4-2.

There's a line up tab at the link below, fwiw.

copa america - Google Search

I don’t wanna be a stick in the mud and the guys on holiday. But if you’re gonna smoke Shisha pipe why put it on your Instagram it’s just not a great look for an elite athlete.

Di Maria....

Golfy_Home_Alone_Buzz_Wolf_large.gif

Back
Top Bottom