Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm going to stick up for him. A month ago he was playing with Messi and Lautaro. Now he's got Winks next to him. It's an insult that he was even played in this shit and i've seen enough of him to know he can play football.

But if you sleep with dogs, you'll catch fleas. He's sunk to the level of the garbage around him.
He's obviously not enthused to be playing in the ECL
He should be playing in the Champions League. Europa League at a minimum.
ECL is beneath him.

I have to say I feel like since the first season where he actually impressed I'm usually more often than not underwhelmed by his performances. I know he can play but I don't think he's been all that over the last season and a half when he has played.

Always takes a few games to get up to speed, which has been half his problem imo.

Play well... injured... play meh... play meh.. play well... injured....

Hes never really managed a run on form has he?

Last night looked very much like one of his "I need to warm up" performances.

He wasn't carried by Messi if you actually watch the games, but I guess that is an easy narrative to throw out there to try and slag a guy for no reason.

As for showing up for Spurs, for large parts of the Covid season he was by far our best player.

I have zero issue replacing him with a better player or even one who can stay healthy but we are lacking so much in terms of passing and creativity in the MF to give up our best or 2nd best (depending on what you think of Ndombele) player when it comes to these things is very risky.

We need more players of Gio's skill and until we get them in I don't see the point in getting rid of him.
For Covid season do you mean 20/21 ? Or 19/20 ? Because last season he only popped up in the Premier League 17 times. And to be honest I felt Kane did a lot more. And Son too.

I agree with your other points generally of course.

He wasn't carried by Messi if you actually watch the games, but I guess that is an easy narrative to throw out there to try and slag a guy for no reason.

As for showing up for Spurs, for large parts of the Covid season he was by far our best player.

I have zero issue replacing him with a better player or even one who can stay healthy but we are lacking so much in terms of passing and creativity in the MF to give up our best or 2nd best (depending on what you think of Ndombele) player when it comes to these things is very risky.

We need more players of Gio's skill and until we get them in I don't see the point in getting rid of him.

The comment on Messi was in reply to the post extolling Lo Celso as a player alongside Messi.

Lo Celso last night looked generally unmotivated and performed at far less than the skillfull and energetic player that he can/could be.

That also needs to be looked at in the context that over 2 seasons he has had about a dozen matches (just after Mourhino joined in 19/20) where he looked quite good and effective, but failed to show in the closing 6 matches of that season to add to an almost complete no show in the first half of the season due to injury.

However for the whole of last season, and a good part of the his first season (other than the dozen or so matches referred to) he has seemed to be injured/recovering the majority of the time, rarely playing 90 minutes but playing off sub benches and has shown very little on average (obvuiously better in some but poor in others).

I have no idea how or why you can claim' As for showing up for Spurs, for large parts of the Covid season he was by far our best player.' as last season (20/21), 'the covid season', he did not complete ANY PL matches - he started in 11 but was subbed off before the end in all, and was subbed on in a further 7 minutes scoring one goal and gaining one assist. He played about 950 minutes in the 28 matches (equivalent to ten and a half matches) out of 38 matches.

He's not on my immediate hit list but he does need to show up this season and show both effort and skill, unlike last night, otherwise he'll go down as a very poor purchase given his £40m price tag, and rightly be on most people's 'get rid off list' for making no significant impact in 3 seasons..

He's obviously not enthused to be playing in the ECL
He should be playing in the Champions League. Europa League at a minimum.
ECL is beneath him.

Perhaps if he had been more enthused last season we wouldn't be in ECL

He has yet to show whether he belongs in CL - has only played 5 CL matches all for Spurs and not looking that effective against Leipzig which were only 2 full matches he played - and rst of time played in EL.

Maybe needs to grow up and decide he has to earn the right to play in europe of any flavour - on current showings may well be in a side which never qualifies

He is another player where you ask yourself" what does he actually do, what is his best position"

Fucks sake football used to be a much simpler game

Perhaps if he had been more enthused last season we wouldn't be in ECL

He has yet to show whether he belongs in CL - has only played 5 CL matches all for Spurs and not looking that effective against Leipzig which were only 2 full matches he played - and rst of time played in EL.

Maybe needs to grow up and decide he has to earn the right to play in europe of any flavour - on current showings may well be in a side which never qualifies
1 goal in the league last season and we wonder why we haven't qualified for the Champion League since signing this absolute flop.

Because of one game? He's had more good games than bad games for Spurs and it's not even close. Good God we're starting to sound like Woolwich fans...
He's been shite for a while now. But I think he should play more before this decision, yes. Barely the player we see for Argentina, I hope Romero signing can help him.

Strangest thing about him is that he has 0 goal threat. In his last Betis season he got 16 goals in all competitions.

He's not terrible and can play a role for us this season, but for the money we paid he's definitely been a big disappointment. It's essentially been £50m for someone that is just OK and a bit functional.

Last edited:
For Covid season do you mean 20/21 ? Or 19/20 ? Because last season he only popped up in the Premier League 17 times. And to be honest I felt Kane did a lot more. And Son too.

I agree with your other points generally of course.

I mean 19/20 when the season was stopped for Covid, I can see how it wasn't clear though.

I mean 19/20 when the season was stopped for Covid, I can see how it wasn't clear though.

As I said about a dozen games when Mourhino first started in 19/20 where I agree he looked pretty good.

But out of 76 games ( 2 seasons) where overall he hasn't done well that's not good enough to point out a dozen games and say 'he's done wel', and yes I know he was injured for part of the time.

But his PL record in 20/21 (in my original response to you) of playing the equivalent of ten and a half games part as starts and part of the bench might be good for an academy player breaking into the side, but not for a relatively experienced international player who ended that season winning Copa America for Argentina. And that contribution by him is precisely why we are in ECL now.

As I said about a dozen games when Mourhino first started in 19/20 where I agree he looked pretty good.

But out of 76 games ( 2 seasons) where overall he hasn't done well that's not good enough to point out a dozen games and say 'he's done wel', and yes I know he was injured for part of the time.

But his PL record in 20/21 (in my original response to you) of playing the equivalent of ten and a half games part as starts and part of the bench might be good for an academy player breaking into the side, but not for a relatively experienced international player who ended that season winning Copa America for Argentina. And that contribution by him is precisely why we are in ECL now.

Its more than a dozen games because he wasn't bad all last season.

As I said I have no problem bringing in someone better than him, my concern is that we have maybe one player in the MF who can pass better and who adds creativity to our team (Ndombele) and he looks like he is on his way out as well. We need more passing and creativity in the MF not less. We have struggled to maintain possession and play through the MF for the past two seasons, and in the very early stages of this season. Nuno had similar struggles in his time at Wolves. We also have been linked to a bunch of MF that don't provide any of this Nandez, JWP, Sarr, McKennie.

I know many, maybe not you, have said they wish we had 11 PEH's out there, but the truth is we need technical ability and actual talent as well and we are woeful short in that department in the MF.

Its more than a dozen games because he wasn't bad all last season.

As I said I have no problem bringing in someone better than him, my concern is that we have maybe one player in the MF who can pass better and who adds creativity to our team (Ndombele) and he looks like he is on his way out as well. We need more passing and creativity in the MF not less. We have struggled to maintain possession and play through the MF for the past two seasons, and in the very early stages of this season. Nuno had similar struggles in his time at Wolves. We also have been linked to a bunch of MF that don't provide any of this Nandez, JWP, Sarr, McKennie.

I know many, maybe not you, have said they wish we had 11 PEH's out there, but the truth is we need technical ability and actual talent as well and we are woeful short in that department in the MF.
The answer is Kane

If/when Kane stays, we need to put him as a permanent #8 / #10

We go with a front three of Berg/Son/Lucas and a good striker that can play within that rotation.

Having Kane play up front is detrimental to the way we play and he'll be a very good 8 or 10 with the way our squad is currently.

The answer is Kane

If/when Kane stays, we need to put him as a permanent #8 / #10

We go with a front three of Berg/Son/Lucas and a good striker that can play within that rotation.

Having Kane play up front is detrimental to the way we play and he'll be a very good 8 or 10 with the way our squad is currently.

Kane as #8 is such banter.........

FI was against buying James Ward-Prowse and he is twice the player of the Argentine. I'm disappointed wanted so much from him and N'dombele got so little. I actually think its unarguable that N'dombele has had more impact full moments. How sad is that. Its like two bald men fighting over a comb.

Back
Top Bottom