Glad to see Daniel Levy finally doing business early!!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whatever. The point the thread makes is nonsense as most players are not signed early, and we have missed several important targets by waiting.

So celebrating a myth that Levy signs players early, based on 14 out of 82 is stupid. No?

The point is not that Levy signs players early, the point is that Levy doesn't always sign players late.

Some come in straight away, some toward the end of the window, but as S.L.R says, we are not the only club doing business on deadline day!

Ok, so suddenly its players still at the club...because it makes your non point look better? How about we do players from when Levy took over. As that would actually make sense now wouldnt it?

Anyway, seeing as you randomly chose 2005, here are the players signed in that time. http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

All 82 of them.

14 were signed early. As I said, Whooopdy Doo!!!

Great point you make.

:gallas:

Fuck me you are a bit thick aren't you? My list was always players who were still at the club, not suddenly. 2005 was chosen because Dawson is our longest serving player.

Just in case you still don't get it, all 14 of my list are still at the club, that's two thirds of our squad bought before August. Two fucking thirds, I'm not even including Livermore and Obika in this who came out of our academy. Your link doesn't even fucking have join dates, try using this one instead:

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurPlayerTransferHistory1908-2009.html

Levy took control of Spurs in February 2001, giving you the whole of August as a late signing I count

Pre-August: 53
August: 28

Oh look, about two thirds again, and I'm giving you all of August.

x

Fuck me you are a bit thick aren't you? My list was always players who were still at the club, not suddenly.

So your whole point is that Levy signed some players at the club early?

Thats a real nice reason to start a thread.

Lets defend Levy for signing players early, but ignore everything else that proves he does'nt move early way more often.

:harryfacepalm:

So your whole point is that Levy signed some players at the club early?

Thats a real nice reason to start a thread.

Lets defend Levy for signing players early, but ignore everything else that proves he does'nt move early way more often.

:harryfacepalm:

You're either a wind up merchant or failed junior school. Either way, you've just broken my ignore button cherry.

images

the point is that Levy doesn't always sign players late.

But nobody ever said that every signing is late.

If we miss out on another important signing for example, a striker, Im not going to take any comfort in Zins list.

Some might be appeased by another midfielder, but if we start the season with Ade and Defoe, I for one will go nuts.

Lennon - 15 June 2005
Huddlestone - 01 July 2005
Assou-Ekotto - 09 June 2006
Bale - 25 May 2007
Rose - 25 July 2007
Gomes - 27 June 2008
Defoe - 09 Jan 2009
Naughton - 17 July 2009
Walker - 17 July 2009
Sandro - 26 March 2010
Friedel - 03 June 2011
Sigurdsson - 04 July 2012
Vertonghen - 08 July 2012
Paulinho - 06 July 2013
I'm all up for supporting the club and agree with the sentiment, but this is bs really buddy. Lennon, Hudd, Bale, Rose and the Kyles were all "ones for the future", Friedel was free, Verts actually took over 6 months as it all started in January previous. I think most people's arguement is the fucking around with established players that the team needs right now.

Personally, I don't really care when deals are made for peripheral players, Levy has failed to realise for several years the damage his hard on for coming out top dog on the negotiation table has on our preseason preparations.

I'll personally wait to applaud him until we begin the season with a proper strike force for the first time in three or four years.

But nobody ever said that every signing is late

Zins thread is in reply to people who say 'Finally, Levy signs somebody early' as if Paulinho is breaking a trend. His list just proves that it's a fallacy. Not that we never sign players late, not that we don't miss out on players because we wait and haggle too much, just that we do in fact sign players early sometimes, with one of our signings just last year coming earlier than Paulinho.

His list just proves that it's a fallacy.

It doesnt prove a thing, because he hasnt counted all of Levy's signings, or factored in the players we have missed out on.

Why should only the current squad count?

There are more late signings, and failed signings, than early ones, so his list is meaningless...because the early signings are breaking a trend when you take Levy's work in its entirety.

Something which Zin conveniently didnt do.

Better than explaining yourself I suppose

I assume this was complete sarcasm....

It doesnt prove a thing, because he hasnt counted all of Levy's signings, or factored in the players we have missed out on.

There are more late signings, and failed signings, than early ones, so his list is meaningless...because the early signings are breaking a trend when you take Levy's work in its entirety.

I agree. We should count players that we don't own, and going by the media we were after. We should count them as late signing. You've been talking nonsense in this whole thread. Then gave bullshit responses to zins facts.

I assume this was complete sarcasm....

I agree. We should count players that we don't own, and going by the media we were after. We should count them as late signing. You've been talking nonsense in this whole thread. Then gave bullshit responses to zins facts.

So if we miss out on a signing, by waiting too late, we should dismiss it, and not use it as proof that Levy leaves it too late.

And if Levy signs a player late, and then we sell him on, we should also dismiss it?

So we should only look at Levy's early signings to prove he signs early. Haha, fucking hilarious!

:harrylol:

But nobody ever said that every signing is late.

If we miss out on another important signing for example, a striker, Im not going to take any comfort in Zins list.

Some might be appeased by another midfielder, but if we start the season with Ade and Defoe, I for one will go nuts.

Do we (Levy) have a reputation for last minute signings? Is the natural assumption that we miss out on targets because Levy leaves it late? Yes? This is the reasoning behind what Zin is getting at.

Chances are, if we miss out on the striker we want it is because we were not prepared to meet the valuation (or agree a structure to the deal). The fact that Levy is willing to wait to see if an agreement can be made up to 5 minutes before the window closes should be applauded, as should the fact that Levy is not prepared to pay over the odds or risk our financial structure to rush a deal through.

We buy within our means, as such the prices we pay are not always immediately available to us, it sucks from a footballing perspective but it's how we have to survive as a club. I'm sure the signing of "another midfielder" wasn't designed just to appease people, it was to strengthen the team, as will be a striker signing, but strikers come with a premium so we will only get what we can, when we can.

So if we miss out on a signing, by waiting too late, we should dismiss it, and not use it as proof that Levy leaves it too late.
Just because Jim Whyte says we tried to sign Charlie Adam, doesn't mean it actually happened.

No way can players we might've tried to sign can be included in here.

And I've no axe to grind here. I'd rather we signed players early, but can see the reason financially for waiting.

It proves everything. The original point wasn't that us signing Pualinho this early is in contrast to how we *NEVER* purchase early. Whereas, that's clearly not the case. Fuck 90% of purchases could be on the last day, and we could miss out on hundreds of players, but that doesn't make a difference to the point of this thread.

I'm all up for supporting the club and agree with the sentiment, but this is bs really buddy. Lennon, Hudd, Bale, Rose and the Kyles were all "ones for the future", Friedel was free, Verts actually took over 6 months as it all started in January previous. I think most people's arguement is the fucking around with established players that the team needs right now.

Modric, Crouch, Bentley, Dos Santos, Prince-Boateng, Bent, Zokora, Berbatov, Lee, Davids, Routledge, Tainio, Stalteri should fit your criteria then.

Just because Jim Whyte says we tried to sign Charlie Adam, doesn't mean it actually happened.

No way can players we might've tried to sign can be included in here.

And I've no axe to grind here. I'd rather we signed players early, but can see the reason financially for waiting.
Even for Damiao??

Sammy is such a tedious fuckwit sometimes. And I can say this without fear of reprisal as I am on his ignore list.

It's only the last few seasons levy has had this reputation as far as I'm aware. How on earth we can include players we 'missed out on' when for 99% of them no one but levy and a few people at the club truly know the situation is beyond ridiculous.
zin zin made a perfectly good point and for some reason spammy decides to choose the thread for his nit picky argument du jour

Back
Top Bottom