GOALKEEPING NIGHTMARES

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
Who would believe it.
Man City goalkeeper throws 2 in.
Chelsea drop keeper.
Rockford dives over another.
Lloris punches one out to their CF
Vorm ? Why?
It seems that most of the GKs are more prone to error this season. Is there a reason for this? New ball?

Last edited:
Ok... so my kid plays goalie so maybe I can provide a bit of an educated guess. Its crazy the amount of decisions keepers have to make all the time... catch a cross, let it go? Come off my line or not? Play high or stay low? Are the defenders in the right spot? Is someone checking that guys run? Play it out of the back or pick it up? With all of that going on I think that there just isn't as much practice time spent on the most important thing... stopping and catching the damn ball!

Side note: the worst thing about your kid being a goalie is when he stops 8 out of 10 and he has a "bad" game, but that fucking pampered striker up front can hit the target 1 out of 10 and he's a hero.

Last edited:
Ok... so my kid plays goalie so maybe I can provide a bit of an educated guess. Its crazy the amount of decisions keepers have to make all the time... catch a cross, let it go? Come off my line or not? Play high or stay low? Are the defenders in the right spot? Is someone checking that guys run? Play it out of the back or pick it up? With all of that going on I think that there just isn't as much practice time spent on the most important thing... stopping and catching the damn ball!

Side note: the worst thing about your kid being a goalie is when he stops 8 out of 10 and he has a "bad" game, but that fucking pampered striker up front can hit the target 1 out of 10 and he's a hero.

Agree with this. Keepers get such a raw deal because they're the last line of defence and a match winning save is rarely viewed in the same light as a match winning goal.

I don't think keepers are making more mistakes, although it's definitely possible that this craze of playing out from the back is leading to more errors. If we started counted the mistakes that strikers made in front of goal, they'd probably be far more to blame for not winning the match than someone like Hugo spilling one shot. Keepers cannot be perfect so defenders need to do their job (Toby I'm looking at you) and not expect the keeper to hold every shot.

Agree with this. Keepers get such a raw deal because they're the last line of defence and a match winning save is rarely viewed in the same light as a match winning goal.

I don't think keepers are making more mistakes, although it's definitely possible that this craze of playing out from the back is leading to more errors. If we started counted the mistakes that strikers made in front of goal, they'd probably be far more to blame for not winning the match than someone like Hugo spilling one shot. Keepers cannot be perfect so defenders need to do their job (Toby I'm looking at you) and not expect the keeper to hold every shot.

Despite no previous training, I qualified as reserve keeper as a kid cos I was tallest.... One year our keeper got ill and missed a full season... Most miserable year of my life. :(

Despite no previous training, I qualified as reserve keeper as a kid cos I was tallest.... One year our keeper got ill and missed a full season... Most miserable year of my life. :(
I remember if I ever had to go in goal as a kid I’d be shitting it for the whole game. So stressful.

As others have said on here though watching your kid in goal is the worst.

Loved playing in goal cos I were belligerent and a mouthy fucker. Still am. 90 mins of calling people fuckers and bastards. Joyous

Back
Top Bottom