Goals for and against

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nice to get our first clean sheet of the season.

Crystal Palace H 4-0

Toby picks up ball deep in our half. Long ball to Son who collects on the right, cuts into the CP area and scores with a low left foot shot to the GK’s left corner. 1-0.

Verts quickly takes a FK passes to Sissoko who bursts forward and passes to Son in their half. Son powers on and slides a great pass to Aurier on the right. He attempts a cross and the ball is deflected into the net by van Aanholt. OG. 2-0.

Lloris kicks ball to Aurier who heads to Lamela then Eriksen to Winks who passes wide right to Aurier. Great high cross to Son whose left foot volley goes under the GK. 3-0.

Sissoko powers forward and passes to Son who speeds forward and passes to Kane wide right. Harry puts over an inch perfect bending low cross to Lamela whose low left foot volley is too strong for the GK. 4-0.

Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace Extended

Last edited:
Olympiacos A 2-2

Sanchez on right passes to Son central who passes to Kane on edge of box. He dribbles past defender who trips him. Penalty high central. 1-0.

Winks intercepts defender’s clearance bursts forward and passes to Lucas who controls well, cuts towards goal and unleashes a powerful fight foot shot from outside the box into the middle left side of the net. 2-0.

Podence
gets the ball at the half way line, passes inside to a player, receives the return and speeds between Toby and Davies. He is totally free in the area and shoots low past Toby’s outstretched leg and ball goes in off the post. If Ndombele chose to run rather than amble back he may have prevented the pass. Davies slow to track Podence and Verts should have been closer to the passer. Hard to call the “main” culprit but Davies just about. 2-1.

Great block by Winks on the edge of the area and the ball goes to Dele in space in the area. He takes 2 touches then tries to pass out of defence to Eriksen who is tackled just outside the area. The ball goes to no 28 who is fouled by Verts. Dele to slow to clear and Ndombele on the right was a straightforward out ball but main culprit Dele dilly-dallied. 2-2.

Last edited:
Olympiacos A 2-2

Sanchez on right passes to Son central who passes to Kane on edge of box. He dribbles past defender who trips him. Penalty high central. 1-0.

Winks intercepts defender’s clearance bursts forward and passes to Lucas who controls well, cuts towards goal and unleashes a powerful fight foot shot from outside the box into the middle left side of the net. 2-0.

Podence
gets the ball at the half way line, passes inside to a player, receives the return and speeds between Toby and Davies. He is totally free in the area and shoots low past Toby’s outstretched leg and ball goes in off the post. If Ndombele chose to run rather than amble back he may have prevented the pass. Davies slow to track Podence and Verts should have been closer to the passer. Hard to call the “main” culprit but Davies just about. 2-1.

Great block by Winks on the edge of the area and the ball goes to Dele in space in the area. He takes 2 touches then tries to pass out of defence to Eriksen who is tackled just outside the area. The ball goes to no 28 who is fouled by Toby. Dele to slow to clear and Ndombele on the right was a straightforward out ball but main culprit Dele dilly-dallied. 2-2.

Dele dilly dallied ..... love it. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Maybe this is the best thread to post the following question (I know, I am a statto beginner, but the lockdown is giving me some free time ;) ):

I think I understand what is a XG. But surely the best indicator on how good a side is in terms of scoring goals is : goal scored/XG? (i.e. how lethal a side is at converting goal chances?) Has this metric got a name?

Maybe this is the best thread to post the following question (I know, I am a statto beginner, but the lockdown is giving me some free time ;) ):

I think I understand what is a XG. But surely the best indicator on how good a side is in terms of scoring goals is : goal scored/XG? (i.e. how lethal a side is at converting goal chances?) Has this metric got a name?
This is included in XG. XG factors all goals scored from that position.

XG also shows if a team is overperforming, that's to say that they score more goals than they should (above the average), in general, those teams (and individual players) rarely sustain this, the teams/players that do are the elite of the elite e.g. Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Bayern, Barca under Pep, City of a couple of seasons ago.

This is included in XG. XG factors all goals scored from that position.

XG also shows if a team is overperforming, that's to say that they score more goals than they should (above the average), in general, those teams (and individual players) rarely sustain this, the teams/players that do are the elite of the elite e.g. Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Bayern, Barca under Pep, City of a couple of seasons ago.
cheers, mate 👍

Back
Top Bottom