Going down

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a safe for work message (for the time being)

We are almost half way through the year. Have you lot got an predictions about who will go down, do you think there will be a free faller in the new year (Villa?) Will anyone claw there way back out (Wigan?) Will any of the new clubs go back down?

At the moment it could be 3 from anyone up to 8th in the table (not literally as it still could be 3 from 20)

It really looks like its going to be a massive bun fight this year and makes me even more turgid at our current level of sucess.

Who do you reckon.

For me

18. QPR
19. Bolton
20. Blackburn

I think Bolton are gone. They're not playing good football and have little to no money to spend in January plus they'll more than likely lose Cahill from their already shocking defence. Still not sure if I want us to sign him or not but I'm edging towards the no thank you club at the moment.

If Blackburn can sort out their defence they'll be fine. They're putting up decent fights most weeks but they look all over the place at the back at the moment.

I really like Wigan for some reason. I think I like the way they play but sadly I don't think they'll get out of it. QPR will spend again in January I would've thought to make sure they stay in the top flight.

If I had to guess:

18. Wolves
19. Wigan
20. Bolton

With possibly Blackburn staying alive on the final day. As for a team sliding down the table I could see Swansea doing that if their home form suddenly drops off which it's more than likely going to do at some point. Hope not though because like Wigan, I respect their footballing style.

I'd love to see Stoke, Everton and Wolves get relegated though.

Can't see QPR going down , they'll spend in Jan and already have a good enough squad, well I say "good enough" they have a better squad than others in the bottom half of the table.

For me it's going to be Wigan, Wolves and either Blackburn and Bolton depending on who does what In January

The way Villa are playing at the moment, I can see them getting dragged back into a relegation scrap. So woeful.

I still think Wigan can get out of it somehow. They always do. I'm a huge Roberto Martinez fan and you can definitely tell the players LOVE playing for him. Run through brick walls type of stuff.

Bolton & Blackburn to me are done. Can't say that I mind either seeing as we never seem to win up at Bolton ever, and Blackburn is just one of those teams I don't care to see in the Premier League anymore.

going off topic slightly but commenting on Mike in Parma's last sentence. Games from this weekend, is this really the "best" least in the world?

Blackburn v West Brom
Everton v Norwich
Fulham v Bolton
Newcastle v Swansea
Wolves v Stoke

That's half the fixtures. None of which get me excited from a neutrals point of view. Having said that, the same can be said about most leagues in the world but Blackburn, Everton, Bolton, Newcastle, Wolves and Stoke are all teams that offer nothing but negativity and "workmanlike" performances to the league.

I'd like to see Blackburn gone, such a nothing club these days with empty seats all over the place.

Suppose you could say the samw of Wigan but I really like Martinez and Whelan.

also there's a difference between Wigan's few fans who sing their hearts out and Blackburn's who don't. Wigan really do deserve to stay up. Pleasing on the eye, loyal and good natured if a limited amount of fans and they've got some scouting system when you consider some of the players they've got/had/unearthed.

Would love to see Moses at a decent midtable prem team.

I think the only way Bolton stays is if they keep Cahill and they get a healthy Holden back for some games late this season.

Confident in Blackburn falling. Think Wolves won't hold up either. I think it comes down to Bolton/Wigan late with Swansea as my sleeper pick for the drop. Haven't won on the road yet and if they start losing confidence at home, it could be a free fall. That being said, they've impressed me so far and I hope they can hold on.

When you look at Wigans squad and money they have spent its is an incredible job Martinez has done there.

Bruce and Jewell did better than Martinez tbf, I know Martinez is more likeable than the other 2 but Wigan are shite. A lot of their best players were brought in by previous management.

Thelonious Filth said:
Bruce and Jewell did better than Martinez tbf, I know Martinez is more likeable than the other 2 but Wigan are shite. A lot of their best players were brought in by previous management.

Dont agree, they have sold their better players recently...Palacios, Valencia....

There arent really any players in their squad anyone would buy now!

The players they have now aren't of the calibre of Roberts, Bullard, Baines, Chimbonda, Palacios, Valencia et al. All players brought in by previous management.

He really should've taken the Villa job.

Thelonious Filth said:
The players they have now aren't of the calibre of Roberts, Bullard, Baines, Chimbonda, Palacios, Valencia et al. All players brought in by previous management.

He really should've taken the Villa job.

Which is why I think its amazing he's kept them up.

Their Steve Bruce 2007 team would shit on this one.

agree he should've taken the Villa job but I think you could argue he's had a lot less money to spend on players than Jewell or Bruce did. In his 5 windows so far he's spent -£12,750,000.

This includes losing Valencia, Cattermole and N'Zogbia and replacing them with largely free transfers, Victor Moses, Al Habsi, Di Santo and Boselli. Not bad business from the chairmans point of view. Not that the other managers were massive spenders in footballing terms mind but they did still spend so seeing how he took over without most of the quality players you mentioned, plus he's since lost 3 of his best players, he's not done too badly and still insists on Wigan playing well.

Remember, a large proportion of the success Swansea are having can be attributed to Martinez too.

Boselli cost about £7m didn't he? I don't recall Bruce paying that kind of money for anyone, I could be wrong on that. Bruce just had a knack of unearthing players like Valencia and Palacios.

Thelonious Filth said:
Boselli cost about £7m didn't he? I don't recall Bruce paying that kind of money for anyone, I could be wrong on that. Bruce just had a knack of unearthing players like Valencia and Palacios.

I'm sure Valencia was there when Bruce arrived?

Dru said:
Thelonious Filth said:

I'm sure Valencia was there when Bruce arrived?
Not sure tbh, I know fuck all about Wigan. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom