Good players but made no difference.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fantastic player but was suffocated by Grahams boring brand of football. He made that team above average when it was rather shit , a somewhat achchiement considering he was constantly attacked by the manager.
The only thing worth watching was our French swashbuckling winger in the late 90s and remember player of the year .
Rather unfair

Hard to argue with any of that.

I suppose we just understand the topic of the thread differently?

Ledley King and Darren Anderton
:ledleylick:hmmm.... care to add Jimmy Greaves and Glenn Hoddle to the list?

For what it's worth, (and I THINK the point of this thread) my suggestion would be Vinny Samways... a tidy little player, and 'one of our own' etc etc... but I just never warmed to him!

:gazza2:
I was too young to remember his overall contribution, but I can remember some of his significant goals.
When he was a rangers he was a seriously important midfielder for them. I would imagine he was the same for us

So hands up who else feels old right now?
2014-12%2BFacing%2BIndia%2527s%2BCow%2BBelt%2B%252803%2529.jpg

And for good reason. When Ade was up for it he was too drawer.

biggest reason I haven't wanted Zaha - screams Ade 2.0 to me.

Different thread. Ade was immense, definitely a difference maker...when he wanted to be.
But the point is a player who was good but that you still didn't like, Ade epitomises that for me

Don't see why personality would come into the debate. The thread is about players who are held in high regard but were actually not that special.

I'm gonna throw Gazza out there. I remember Gazza as a scorer of great goals but he didn't have the overall impact on a game that a player like Eriksen does.
Not how I remember it.
I remember Gazza absolutely changing games with a flash or two brilliance. He could decide how a game went with just 20 mins of him in top gear. There were times he the only thing worth the entrance money.

Not how I remember it.
I remember Gazza absolutely changing games with a flash or two brilliance. He could decide how a game went with just 20 mins of him in top gear. There were times he the only thing worth the entrance money.
football was different, less was expected from a playmaker.

Waddle was great but his workload was significantly lower than a modern winger. Hoddle was one of Europe's best but wasn't mobile enough for modern game...

Not how I remember it.

Easily the most exciting and talented footballer I have seen in a spurs shirt.

Was playing with injuries as well in the 91 cup run and was part of a very average spurs squad at the time.

Not one player in our current squad compares, such a shame he got injured and had his off field issues, for me he is up with the world's best, saw him tore so many teams apart single handed in a spurs shirt.

football was different, less was expected from a playmaker.

Waddle was great but his workload was significantly lower than a modern winger. Hoddle was one of Europe's best but wasn't mobile enough for modern game...

Fair point, but to suggest Gazza wasn't a game changer is insane.

Easily the most exciting and talented footballer I have seen in a spurs shirt.

Was playing with injuries as well in the 91 cup run and was part of a very average spurs squad at the time.

Not one player in our current squad compares, such a shame he got injured and had his off field issues, for me he is up with the world's best, saw him tore so many teams apart single handed in a spurs shirt.

Gazza, Linekar, Mabs, Walsh, Howells, Paul Allen, Stewart, Erik The Viking... A promising young Walker, Barmby & Edinburgh...

Granted we had a few stinkers, but i loved that side... Last time i got to genuinely say that before the dark times.

But the point is a player who was good but that you still didn't like, Ade epitomises that for me
The OP is very vague. It mentions like/rate. Thread title says "but made no difference." Its really down to your interpretation. This whole thing is a shambles, tbh.

I've chosen to interpret it as made no difference to the team/results. Otherwise Ade was a lazy player everyone soured on. Jenas and Bentley fall into the same sort of more talent than brains/spirit category.

As far as your interpretation of the discussion I'd have to put Crouch on the list for me. He had some good times at Spurs but I never really warmed to him. Maybe it was his overall awkwardness, or that it always felt like Spurs deserved more and were above his level.

Back
Top Bottom