Good players but made no difference.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this thread players that played well but couldn’t stop us losing? If so I’d say dean Richards.

If it’s players that you rate and hate I’d say Taraabt. Could have been the absolute bollocks but had the mental age of a toddler

Not how I remember it.
I remember Gazza absolutely changing games with a flash or two brilliance. He could decide how a game went with just 20 mins of him in top gear. There were times he the only thing worth the entrance money.

Just like Ginola in his day

The OP is very vague. It mentions like/rate. Thread title says "but made no difference." Its really down to your interpretation. This whole thing is a shambles, tbh.

I've chosen to interpret it as made no difference to the team/results. Otherwise Ade was a lazy player everyone soured on. Jenas and Bentley fall into the same sort of more talent than brains/spirit category.

As far as your interpretation of the discussion I'd have to put Crouch on the list for me. He had some good times at Spurs but I never really warmed to him. Maybe it was his overall awkwardness, or that it always felt like Spurs deserved more and were above his level.
I'd argue that Jenas was too much of a thinker to succeed.

For me Jenas didn't give as much as he had on the pitch 9 times out of 10. That for me was his biggest downfall I hardly ever saw him exhausted. If he had a genuine passion to take games by the scruff of the neck I think we'd have seen a special player
I think he choked, overthinking stuff, couldnt handle the pressure. He lacked the natural arrogance to be top and that was his downfall imo.

Les Ferdinand, Jamie Redknapp, John Scales, Jason Dozzell, Gordon Durie, Ray Clemence, stephe clemence, Paul Stewart, Rocket Ron,
A few players I thought didn’t look right or didn’t like or want as Spurs players

Great but made no difference
Alfie Conn
Modric
Bale ( to a certain extent)
Sheringham
Klinsmann
Berbatov
Ledley

A few off my head.

Les Ferdinand, Jamie Redknapp, John Scales, Jason Dozzell, Gordon Durie, Ray Clemence, stephe clemence, Paul Stewart, Rocket Ron,
A few players I thought didn’t look right or didn’t like or want as Spurs players

Great but made no difference
Alfie Conn
Modric
Bale ( to a certain extent)
Sheringham
Klinsmann
Berbatov
Ledley

A few off my head.

How do you define made a difference ? As the list you gave consits of players that made quite the difference for us imo

How do you define made a difference ? As the list you gave consits of players that made quite the difference for us imo
Made no difference as to the success of the team.
Finished 7th with Klinsmann Sheringham for example.
Sheringham never won anything with us nor did Klinsmann Berbatov, Bale, and only one played CL
Modric I’d say the same, won nothing one CL experience.
I define it by great players who never made a difference in that way.
For instance we have been more consistent in the league last 4 years and managed CL more times. Had one realistic title challenge. Kane could still win nothing but sort of made a difference. Depending on how you define success.
Ledley won a league cup but didn’t experience CL.
Not they made no difference to Spurs, but in the grand scheme of things.
Like what could have been.

Greaves was brilliant and won a euro trophy and two fa cups for instance.

Last edited:
Gazza, Linekar, Mabs, Walsh, Howells, Paul Allen, Stewart, Erik The Viking... A promising young Walker, Barmby & Edinburgh...

Granted we had a few stinkers, but i loved that side... Last time i got to genuinely say that before the dark times.

I see your point as what followed was much worse.

We also had van den huwe, austin and Terry fenwick!

I feel like you could say this kind of shit about most players in top 4 teams tbh.

There's usually a few superstars and then the rest are B or C (or lower) levels players who play that supporting act role.

Since we haven't won anything yet naturally such players are more prominent.

Truth is all our team atm probably could get into a champions squad and a few the first XI.

Back
Top Bottom