Graham Potter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes. Since lockdown I don't think I have missed a Premier League match (apart from the few occasions when they are scheduled at same time as another). I would hazard a guess I have watched them on multiple more occasions that you.
I see chances created by Brighton, by players that Potter spent record monies bringing to the club that aren't converted, but not more clear cut really than by their peers given the playing style.
I see a possession based style of football that is quite sterile in its nature. I see him doing the same thing over and over again, and not changing things when they are obviously not working.
Really I am not overly impressed, and his results since he has been in England (or Wales) bear that out so far.
It is just excuse after excuse. It is basically what Mourinho did regularly and you shot him down for it, but you are now doing it yourself for somebody else.
I think he needs to either improve Brighton by a good 10 to 15 points than he has been, which is basically Chris Hughton level, or move to a club the next level of finances club down from us (a West Ham, Villa, Wolves) and see if he can do it there, before he is worthy of a shot.
There are plenty of managers out there I rate higher, and with good reason, backed up with results as well as just playing pretty football.
It's the lack of intensity in their play that bothers me, in particular. Does he have something against players that are not one-paced? The athletic profile of that squad disturbs me. I watched the first half of their game yesterday and I saw a side that was quite happy to sit in a mid-block and allow the opposition time on the ball. Even in their defensive third, I thought they were a bit lax. They worked the ball forward very slowly at times but when they got up the field, they were capable of putting decent sequences of passes together, facilitated by good off-the-ball movement. Also, I thought their counter-attacks from deeper areas were laboured.

He’s shit. Wolves said it too, some decent bits at times but he’s not a right back.

same for Aurier, no-one is taking a player that inconsistent. Lazy managers like Redknapp and Allardyce would have him years ago but data / analysis means you can’t mug off these sides anymore
Ok mate, I'm really done discussing it. You're over dramatizing how bad our players are claiming they can't get in another professional football team anywhere in the world. As shit as they've been, and they've been shit in the past 18 months of complete turmoil....and yet they've still been good enough to play in a squad that's comfortably top half in the most competitive league in the world.

In short, you're a bit of a clown.

That now has a 29 year old on a contract with three years to run at top six wages after a season in which he looked like he'd forgotten how to play football.

That is an un-transferrable player.

Serge Aurier with a Champions League pedigree, an EU passport, a sterling record of availability at least, and just a year to run on his deal is probably someone we could find a home for, though not for much money and I would be flabbergasted if it was Real Madrid.

(I guess Doherty has an EU passport too. But still)
Doherty's wage is supposedly £65k pw. Hardly unmeetable wage demands. Even if we had to subsidize them for a year in a loan with obligation to buy move, or discount the fee to account for it,, its totally doable. Hes not a title winning right back but he's not a fucking lump either.

Its really a bit sad how overly dramatic people are about our players. They're not at the level we need, but easily good enough to help Watford or someone stay up. Doherty's salary over a similar replacement is probably around £1.5M. The cost of relegation is ~£75M? The idea that we can't sell our unwanted players is absurd.

Will Levy accept a huge loss on Doherty in a year? Thats debatable. But we absolutely can sell him for money, claiming we can't is Chicken Little talk.

As bad as our defence has been, as painful as watching it has been, only 5 clubs in the PL have conceded fewer goals than we have. Seriously...some of you need a long soak in a cold shower.

Doherty has also shown at Wolves and internationally for Ireland that he is good as a RWB. Not saying he is going to Inter to start for Conte but for many teams that play with WB's he can definitely fit in there.

Plus it isn't like anyone is suggesting we are getting 30m for him, it is likely a 7 figure number with the hope that maybe we could get 10m because Levy is such a tightfisted a-hole that he would try to get back what he paid.

Ok mate, I'm really done discussing it. You're over dramatizing how bad our players are claiming they can't get in another professional football team anywhere in the world. As shit as they've been, and they've been shit in the past 18 months of complete turmoil....and yet they've still been good enough to play in a squad that's comfortably top half in the most competitive league in the world.

In short, you're a bit of a clown.
They haven’t been good enough. They are clearly weak links propped up by our decent players like Lloris, Toby, Kane etc

No need to start chucking insults around, it’s a different opinion yours that all. Tings done changed and Doherty will be here next year, Aurier will go for less than 5M

They haven’t been good enough. They are clearly weak links propped up by our decent players like Lloris, Toby, Kane etc

No need to start chucking insults around, it’s a different opinion yours that all. Tings done changed and Doherty will be here next year, Aurier will go for less than 5M
You're claiming the two rightbacks of the defence that conceded the 5th fewest goals in the PL are worth a combined <£5M. You're an overly dramatic clown.

No way Aurier goes for less than 5m what are you talking about. Tyrick Mitchell at Place with less than one full season and about the same time will go for more than that.

You're claiming the two rightbacks of the defence that conceded the 5th fewest goals in the PL are worth a combined <£5M. You're an overly dramatic clown.
We’ll see, hopefully I’m wrong and we recoup 25M for the pair and buy a decent replacement

I honestly think there’s an economic rude awakening happening this summer and fees will drastically reduce across the board

We’ll see, hopefully I’m wrong and we recoup 25M for the pair and buy a decent replacement

I honestly think there’s an economic rude awakening happening this summer and fees will drastically reduce across the board
I don't think we'll get £25M either. I agree that finances are going to be crunched. But that also makes getting/staying in the PL even more imperative for a host of clubs.

I think we could easily sell Aurier and Doherty for £12-18M, to that end. But, again, I think the easiest way to shift one is as part of a deal for Max Aarons...so the value of that player in the deal, likely to be Doherty in my mind, will be very vague.

I'll be on the Potter train if we go full rebuild. If we end up hiring him and keeping mostly the same squad we are fucked.

Yep. I dont give a shit who we hire really. If they get rid of the dregs I don't care who it is I will love them.

I think most high profile managers will see the squad, see Levy and then see a golden handshake. Probably why they are having so many "interviews". They are trying to suss out who can polish this turd rather than perform a full rebuild.

That I keep seeing Hitchen involved in the discussions for a new manager is a red flag itself. He is not going to want some progressive manager who wants to shake things up. The ballbag twins want to do the least work possible in order to maintain the status quo.

That I keep seeing Hitchen involved in the discussions for a new manager is a red flag itself.
Hitchen drawing up a shortlist for Levy to make the decision is such a perfectly terrible process. It is both way too much involvement for someone with Hitchen's remit and way too little involvement for the football side of the operation vis a vis Levy.

No wonder Trevor Birch got the hell out of this "structure" at the first opportunity.

Hitchen drawing up a shortlist for Levy to make the decision is such a perfectly terrible process. It is both way too much involvement for someone with Hitchen's remit and way too little involvement for the football side of the operation vis a vis Levy.

No wonder Trevor Birch got the hell out of this "structure" at the first opportunity.

Hang on. Didn't Birch just get here? Has he already left?

It's the lack of intensity in their play that bothers me, in particular. Does he have something against players that are not one-paced? The athletic profile of that squad disturbs me. I watched the first half of their game yesterday and I saw a side that was quite happy to sit in a mid-block and allow the opposition time on the ball. Even in their defensive third, I thought they were a bit lax. They worked the ball forward very slowly at times but when they got up the field, they were capable of putting decent sequences of passes together, facilitated by good off-the-ball movement. Also, I thought their counter-attacks from deeper areas were laboured.
Who's your guy?

Back
Top Bottom