Graham Potter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think we'll get £25M either. I agree that finances are going to be crunched. But that also makes getting/staying in the PL even more imperative for a host of clubs.

I think we could easily sell Aurier and Doherty for £12-18M, to that end. But, again, I think the easiest way to shift one is as part of a deal for Max Aarons...so the value of that player in the deal, likely to be Doherty in my mind, will be very vague.
Would take that all day long, be a fantastic deal for us
Assuming we finish outside Europa, I want to see a huge cull in our squad with younger players taking up the peripheral places - either internal or buys from the championship

The case for xGraham, more than good xg and bad strikers?

Other stats:

Wins 9 (17th)
Loses 15 (joint 9th)
Draws 14 (1st)

Of those 15 loses, 11 were by a single goal.

Shots 487 (7th)

On target 143 (14th)

Hit the woodwork 17 (7th, Spurs top with 24!)

Clean sheets 12 (Joint 5th with us, Woolwich, Everton, Leeds and Liverpool)

Goals conceded 46 (joint 7th best, Spurs conceded 45, 6th)

Blocks 97, (7th fewest - I look at this as a positive)

Interceptions 425 (6th)

Tackles 628 (8th)

Clearances 560 (3rd fewest)

Penalties conceded 8 (8th most)

Passes 18,185 (9th)

Through Balls 17 (11th)

Long Balls 2,264 (6th )

Passes Backward 2,777 (11th)

Croses 686 (10th)

Dreaded xg stats

Actually worth clicking the link, anything with a red number beside it is underperforming the xg (by the value of the red number) and similarly green is over performing.

Anyway...

xG from:
Open Play- 39.39 (+12.39)
Corner-5.61 (+0.61)
Set Piece- 2.77 (+0.77)
Direct Free kick- 0.89 (+0.89)
Penalty - 6.85 (+0.85)

Marginally underperform in set pieces, massively under perform from open play shots.

Shot zones:
Out of box- 5.84 (-0.16)
Penalty area- 36.27 (+11.27)
Six-yard box-12.39 (+4.39)

Vast majority of shots they waste are in the penalty area.

Shooting results:
Missed shot - 16.48 (+16.48)
Blocked shot - 10.04 (+10.04)
Goal - 14.64 (-25.36)
Saved shot - 11.34 (+11.34)
Shot on post - 3.01 (+3.01)

For comparison, the same stats for Spurs:
Missed shot - 12.16 (+12.16)
Blocked shot - 7.27 (+7.27)
Goal - 24.45 (-43.55)
Saved shot - 12.89 (+12.89)
Shot on post - 3.07 (+3.07)

Shows what decent strikers can do!

The Understat final table shows Brighton scored 40, but their xg was 53.82 - they should have scored a lot more.
Similarly for us, we had 68 goals with an xg of 56.68 - thanks to Kane/Son/Bale we really over performed.

Defensively Brighton conceded 46 on an xGA of 39.91 so let in a few more than expected. We conceded 45 on an xGA of 52.55, so believe it or not this metric thinks we overperformed defensively!

Finally, with the table sorted by xPTS Spurs would finish 7th, Brighton 5th!

Now, believe it or not, Im not a stat acolyte, I dont believe xg is the be all/end all and dont worship at the alter of xGraham thanks to the magical xg numbers. However...

I do think when you put together more stats than just xg, it does paint a picture of a team outperforming its results considerably in all areas bar finishing - which really does look like an issue . And with Welbeck or Maupay (6 and 8 goals) as your main man is it a surprise?

Brighton are a comprehensively good team, in every aspect bar finishing the chances they create - and I do believe if Potter ran Spurs in a similar fashion we would do very well for ourselves.

I am certainly in favour of him coming in, as I do believe there is more to him than most of the naysayers believe.

He would probably be my favourite choice, but of course Im open to any quality manager that fits. Ten Hag would make me very happy too!

Over all though, I think those that blindly dismiss Potter could do a lot worse than take a closer look.

Last edited:
Only one thing against Potter.....he has not played for a top team. If he had we would all be wanting him.
For example..what had the following done to get a job with a top 6 club
Solksjaer. Man Utd. Got Cardiff relegated after success in Sweden
Lampard. Chelsea. Finshed6th with Derby, lost play off final...had Mount and Tomori on loan
Arteta. Woolwich. Worked under Pep at City
Obviously all had played for the team they went on to manage.
If Potterhad played for us he would be our manager now.

There is no reason not to go for Potter. Great football, create lots of chances, forwards not up to it.
The man deserves a chance. We will regret it as he will get a top job eventually and do well.
Looking at the people who are linked with us ....none of them are outstanding.
I really hope we get him.

Only one thing against Potter.....he has not played for a top team. If he had we would all be wanting him.
For example..what had the following done to get a job with a top 6 club
Solksjaer. Man Utd. Got Cardiff relegated after success in Sweden
Lampard. Chelsea. Finshed6th with Derby, lost play off final...had Mount and Tomori on loan
Arteta. Woolwich. Worked under Pep at City
Obviously all had played for the team they went on to manage.
If Potterhad played for us he would be our manager now.

There is no reason not to go for Potter. Great football, create lots of chances, forwards not up to it.
The man deserves a chance. We will regret it as he will get a top job eventually and do well.
Looking at the people who are linked with us ....none of them are outstanding.
I really hope we get him.
Not sure Arteta or Lampard are great examples of successful managers? One got the boot even though he spent gazillions with a team that is now in the CL final; the other is Arteta who has consolidated Woolwich’s place below us despite us being woeful for two years...

Not sure he's saying they are successful managers, just that being successful players got them the job.

So, were Potter a prior PL legend - many more would be supportive of him getting the job here.

At least that's my read on it

Often beaten, seldom outclassed would be a fair one-line description of Potter's Brighton. I would think both sides of this thing could concur on that summary of the crux of it.
Great way of putting it. I think factoring in those draws too, say they won just 5 of them, they'd be 12th and about 10 points behind us...

Not sure Arteta or Lampard are great examples of successful managers? One got the boot even though he spent gazillions with a team that is now in the CL final; the other is Arteta who has consolidated Woolwich’s place below us despite us being woeful for two years...
Never mentioned successful . The point is that in these times of data analysis and analysing anything that moves. These big clubs end up appointing a manager purely because he played for them.
Solksjaer getting the Utd job was just ridiculous. He wasn’t even one of their great players, just stuck out a foot at the right time. Having spent 250m he is still miles off winning the league.
I can see them losing tomorrow night as Maguire is out of the game

Never mentioned successful . The point is that in these times of data analysis and analysing anything that moves. These big clubs end up appointing a manager purely because he played for them.
Solksjaer getting the Utd job was just ridiculous. He wasn’t even one of their great players, just stuck out a foot at the right time. Having spent 250m he is still miles off winning the league.
I can see them losing tomorrow night as Maguire is out of the game
Cool: misunderstood.

Can we add Pirlo at Juve, too?

Often beaten, seldom outclassed would be a fair one-line description of Potter's Brighton. I would think both sides of this thing could concur on that summary of the crux of it.
Chatting yesterday to an Albion fan re their 3 heavy defeats (ie by more than one goal):

Potter changed keepers after a few matches, very much against the fans' wishes. Ryan seemed to be doing fine but he promoted Sanchez, and the defensive system has been much better since then. The last 30 odd matches of the season, just one defeat by more than one goal. They had a mare at Leicester but they're not the only ones to have been turned over by a Rodgers team on form and firing.

FYI the early big defeats were Chavs and City.

Edit just seen they lost the last one at Goons 2-0. Apparently they were on the beach.

Last edited:
I saw an analysis, either back in this thread or the next manager one, showed Sanchez coming in in Jan (when they sold Ryan to Woolwich) and from that point on a transformation in their defensive stats.

Season of two halves/keepers in terms of defence.

Either way though, I think its a great stat so show they are always in games.

Ok mate, I'm really done discussing it. You're over dramatizing how bad our players are claiming they can't get in another professional football team anywhere in the world. As shit as they've been, and they've been shit in the past 18 months of complete turmoil....and yet they've still been good enough to play in a squad that's comfortably top half in the most competitive league in the world.

In short, you're a bit of a clown.
Consider me in between. Yeah, you're right in saying that a lot of our supporters act like some of our players couldn't cut it at Millwall, but also I think several of our players are very far away from being of the talent and stature for a club of our stature that pretends to competing for honors.

I have absolutely zero faith in the argument of some that "Doherty will be good next season if the coach plays him as a wingback".

I saw Doherty get rinsed over and over and over and over and over again all season long. Sometimes it was just sad. The only thing that keeps him from being one of the very first I'd like to replace is the fact that Aurier and Sissoko aren't home-grown, so we need to carefully consider replacements in those areas first.

Consider me in between. Yeah, you're right in saying that a lot of our supporters act like some of our players couldn't cut it at Millwall, but also I think several of our players are very far away from being of the talent and stature for a club of our stature that pretends to competing for honors.

I have absolutely zero faith in the argument of some that "Doherty will be good next season if the coach plays him as a wingback".

I saw Doherty get rinsed over and over and over and over and over again all season long. Sometimes it was just sad. The only thing that keeps him from being one of the very first I'd like to replace is the fact that Aurier and Sissoko aren't home-grown, so we need to carefully consider replacements in those areas first.
TBF, I wasn't arguing we should keep them. Simply arguing against the insane idea that the players we want to move are so shit no one in professional football anywhere will buy them.

Belive your eyes the man is not a top flight fullback in any system. I stopped feeling angry at him and just felt bad for him. You know folk say "I'd be a better Centre-mid than Winks/ Sissoko " (insert favorite junk player)...they wouldn't the best of them would look like Doherty.

Back
Top Bottom