Greatest ever foreign signing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our Greatest Foreign Import

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the Sonny thread I asked if he was our greatest ever foreign signing. So here is its own thread.

Lets keep it British, so no Bale, Mackay, Blanchflower etc. Factors include ability, loyalty, and impact on the club.

My vote is Sonny, with Ardiles close second. Rafa, Ginola and Berba all close but not here long enough in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'd vote Ardiles first and then Ricky Villa as runner up, for the sheer impact they had on the club, the history they played a part in creating, how exciting it must have been to sign Argentinian World Cup winners when foreign players were still rare, and of course the cups they were involved in winning.

Definitely Ardiles.

Transformed our team when he and Ricky joined.

All through the Falklands they stayed loyal.
Manager as well, best not to mention that though.

No one comes close imo.

Last edited:
I think Son needs a trophy before he can surpass David Ginola. Ossie was a good servant to the club as well as a great player but I don't think he carried us to glory in 1981 in the same way that Ginola did in 1999. The 81 team was full of match winners. Without Ginola, the 99 team was pretty much the team we had under Gerry Francis before Ginola came minus Sheringham.

It's possible that I'm a little biased because I'm not old enough to remember Ossie and Ricky. The 81 final happened 3 months before I was born and most of what I know about that time is from old matches I've watched and books/programmes I've read.

Son has the potential to do something great for our club. With Kane as good as gone, Son is our star man and I think he will thrive in that role.

1. Ardiles - iconic, exciting and in relative terms, successful.

Below that but in no order I would include Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Modric, Eriksen - I think these four helped considerably in taking us forward (great while it lasted) but I guess it depends what one's criteria is? Klinsmann, VdV, Ginola were all 'exciting' and special too but we stayed fairly stagnant as a club (possibly VdV exempt from that quote).

Last edited:
Another vote for Ardiles.

I think Klinsmann would make the top 5 even if it was a short stay.
That was a pretty dark time with fines and points deductions after the whole Sugar/Venables war and Klinsmann helped make it a very enjoyable season in the end. If we had won the FA Cup it would have capped it perfectly.

Ginola for me personally it's not even a contest. Son is great but being young and spurs not being great wed still turn up at United and they'd have 3 players on him. It made me proud having such a good player in our team. He gave me hope that we could get a result.

Back
Top Bottom