Greatest Goal Seen at the Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LeeMcl

Supporter
In less than 5 days our home will be no more. While it's important to move on. It is also lovely to remember and with that in mind, thought it would be fun to canvas opinions on the best goal ever seen in person at the Lane.

This is going to be subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. It does not need to be a big game winner, it could be a shin in from Gordon Durie.....the only rule is that it is strictly only goals seen in person allowed ( we would surely struggle to look past the Jimmy Greaves v Man Pooh or Hoddle v Oxford goals if going by YouTube )

As I go back to a 1987 debut v Nottingham Forest i am picking from goals from that 30 years period.

My top pick is: Gary Lineker v FC Porto 1991 ( 3-1 win ) I was in the East Stand looking across the penalty box line. A wonderful moment. A Sublime goal. What a pleasure it was to see Gary Lineker in a Spurs shirt. Superb striker.

I am cheating with a second and third place pick, but I started this so I can.....

Second: Keane v Birmingham 2003. Fantastic goal. Keane was a special player. At times he was our only hope. Massive shame he did what he did and never got back the respect he had fought so hard to obtain. But that goal was ( almost ) the perfect team goal. From the defense through to midfield and Keane - bang ! ..proof that Spurs is as much about a moment as it is about winning games.

Third: RVD v Inter. Rafa. Just world class on his day. In those big games he would step up and do what others could not do. All too brief was his stay. But a very special player and that moment when he put us ahead against the reigning European Champions was just magical.

WHL - what a place. Loved it. Will miss it more than words can say.

Last edited:

one of my least favourite people on the planet. It's like listening to a Chavski mad Bill Oddie. So I dont listen.

That season we lost 6-0 at United (that's Sheffield United), and 6-2 at Liverpool. Should have won the FA cup with a bit of luck.

Venables really did buy some strange players. Andy "tub o' lard" Gray springs to mind.

- Danny Rose vs. Woolwich
- Stephen Carr vs. Man Utd
- Erik Edman vs. Liverpool*
- Assou-Ekotto vs. Liverpool

Fuck me, we love a full back who can score a worldie against a top club.

*Anfield

Last edited:
In the same vein as above, I've always seen this as Defoe's best goal. Many will probably point to an overhead kick against Manure, but for me he has no right to score this from the moment he picks up the ball with two men on him 50 yards from goal.

best goals I've seen in the flesh...
Zeige's free kick against the scum. I loved Zeige and it was an absolute fucker of a strike. .
Barmby header against Wimbledon in the cup 1993. Stooped low to head into the top corner from 20 yards. Probably the best header Ive ever seen.

best goals I've seen in the flesh...
Zeige's free kick against the scum. I loved Zeige and it was an absolute fucker of a strike. .
Barmby header against Wimbledon in the cup 1993. Stooped low to head into the top corner from 20 yards. Probably the best header Ive ever seen.

I'll never forget that Ziege goal. I'd been in Rome, and just got back to Stansted in plenty of time for the football. Turned out though the trains were fucked, so I left the bird I went to Rome with at Stansted Airport with all our luggage and told her I had to rush off to watch the NLD. I had to get a replacement bus service all the way to Liv Street I think from Stansted, and then cabbed it pretty much from there to WHL.

Got to White Hart Lane late, entered Block 32 to a rousing reception from my mates who were impressed I'd even made it, and 5 seconds later, Ziege scored that beauty of a freekick.

Greatest introduction to a game at WHL for me ever.

Not a great goal in the conventional sense but I always think of a goal Robbie Keane scored against Birmingham. He waited behind the keeper as he rolled it out of his hand to take a goal kick from the floor. Keane, with the cunning, speed and chutzpah which was so evident in his early career appeared suddenly and stole the ball and rolled it home into the empty net. It was so obvious what was happening to everyone apart from the oblivious keeper and was hilarious and massively enjoyable.

Gazza's winning goal against Notts County in 1991 FA Cup quarter final was decent. More recently, Bale's against Chelsea in 2010 a few days after beating the Arse was also superb. That game is the best performance I think I've ever seen from a Tottenham side. Chelsea were genuinely decent but we outfought and outclassed them completely. A Redknapp special.

Greaves vs Man U in 65. Someone else has alluded to it.
Started from the back with a stylish passing combination, onto Mackay, who provides a superb pass through the midfield, then individual brilliance from Greavsie in his prime.
I can't find a solo edit but it's on this video around 46 seconds in.
Rightly, the crowd go fucking mental.

Last edited:
- Danny Rose vs. Woolwich
- Stephen Carr vs. Man Utd
- Erik Edman vs. Liverpool
- Assou-Ekotto vs. Liverpool

Fuck me, we love a full back who can score a worldie against a top club.
Do you recall Carr's strike v Sunderland ? That was very special too ( think Edman's was away at Anfield )

Back
Top Bottom