Greatest Goal Seen at the Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone at the FA cup tie Jan 1978 v Bolton, 2-2?
The most impossible goal that Hoddle scored, and that includes the crazy vollies v Forest and Liverpool that thankfully were televised. Unfortunately the Bolton one wasn't. Far out near the RH corner flag at Paxton End, an unbelievable shot. Jimmy Armfield said it was the best goal he'd ever seen, and he would have seen a lot more than me then. The goal made no difference; Bolton equalised with a scrappy one a minute later, and we lost the replay.
imagine trying to explain that concept to anyone today....?
"whaddaya mean it wasn't televised....? It's always televised...all games are televised... Weirdo!"

For me it's Poyets goal to equalise agains the Scum, Judas first game back.

Was in the Paxton, the ground literally exploded.

Technically obviously not the best, but it meant so much not to let that, and them win

Kanoute's goal vs Everton is a goal that always springs to mind. I sit in Park Upper Block 43 and I can still see the goal in my mind now.

Steed's goal against Woolwich. The nail in the coffin in the 5-1 win. The goal was nothing special but I remember waiting for our luck to change and the scum to pull it back. When the fifth went in a shed a small tear in disbelief and turning to my dad in amazement that we had just smashed the scum 5-1!

This next goal will stay with me until the day I die. For me this goal sums up every reason why I love football and the ups and downs of being Spurs. That Harry Kane goal last year. For this game I was actually in North Upper and was in line with the ball and the top corner. The fact the goal came from nothing. I have never celebrated a goal so much. I literally shook my sisters head off and was screaming we're going to win the league. As we all no that didn't turn out to be true. I have never experienced such ecstasy when that goal went in. Maybe I need to try ecstasy for real?

Sunday is going to be a tough day

I don't know if it qualifies as the greatest, but one that always sticks in my mind was Klinsmann's final ever club, which was at WHL in our end of season game against Southampton in May 1998. I've tried to find a video of it but to no avail.

this one was great too

Yeah, remind me why Liverpool played in Black that day?
As far as I'm aware, Red and White have never clashed!
...I can only A$$UMยฃ it was for the same reasons we turned out in that Grey & Black monstrosity at The Emirates in one of the "5-2" games a few years back??

Fucking *money-men can go fuck themselves!

*ahem, whilst helping us pay for a new ground... sorry lads!

Seen loads in 42 years of games a lot all ready mentioned but special mention for G.Roberts against Brugges 84/85 UEFA cup was behind it in the Paxton and if it wasn't for the net and then the fence it would have knocked someone's block off.
Hoddle against Birmingham in the Fa cup fifth round was good and Falco's volley against them Easter 83.Paul Allen scored a great winner against Aston Villa around 89/90 season also Vinny Samways against the filth around the same season.

Seen loads in 42 years of games a lot all ready mentioned but special mention for G.Roberts against Brugges 84/85 UEFA cup was behind it in the Paxton and if it wasn't for the net and then the fence it would have knocked someone's block off..
I mentioned this match on another board on great memories. I was on the Shelf for Bruges. Perfect Storm - evening k/o, Europe, great game, 3-0, and that belter of a goal. And from the Shelf you had the best and noisiest view anywhere Ive been before or since.

Lennon's to beat Chelsea for the fist time in years; I had witnessed so many defeats to the bastards! To finally beat them on November the fifth - fucking fireworks!
And I can't forget Ginola's against Leeds in an evening FA cup match - I was in the Shelf close to the pitch, the ball looped up and dropped to Ginola's; what was he going to do, take it down and start building another attack? No! He smashed it frm 25, 30 yards into the net. WHL exploded. Beautiful!

My brother rang me that morning telling me he had a spare and do i want it?
I had agreed to help a mate move,and it only being Wigan, and probably not be much of a game i turned it down........................................

Story of my life

On the other side I remember back then I listened to "The Spurs Show" podcast, and some guy emailed them saying he'd taken his son to that game as his first game ever. After I think it was five goals his son turned to him and said "Is it like this every week dad"? Brilliant.

Poor quality but its round about the 1 hour 59 minute mark.

Yeah, that's the one. Watched that one go in from the West stand almost parallel to when he jumped up. Having been only going for two seasons by then it was the first live goal I think I'd seen that really had me thinking "how'd he do that"?

Last edited:
I too witnessed the Hoddle goal against Bolton in '78.
We in the Shelf were going ballistic. Through to the 4th round at last we thought, after the previous four early knock-outs. But no - Whatmore chips in.
Another great goal never to be seen again was at Forest in 1980. We played them off the park and beat the then European champions 3-0. Our third that day was a brilliant passing move, lost count of how many....culminating in Archie tapping home.
Peter Taylor's run from the halfway line was pretty special too - Oct '78 at the Hawthorns. Very similar to the one he scored at Millwall the previous season.

it has to be the Stephen Carr against United, i remember that i was in the east stand and i was sitting roght down the front to the right of the half way line.

when Carr hit that shot i knew it was in straight away, and did that stand up slowly with excitement that this could hit the back of the..... and then it did and you hear that roar.......

i was excited before the game, Mancheter United who had won 3 tropbies (incredible really looking back), and they had great players like, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and Keane and i could wait to see my very first Spurs V United at WHL. The year before i had just left school and got my first job.

Witj a dad that hated football and my stepdad who is a Chavski fan, ( shakes his head but he is a typical racist Chavski fan..... anyway my Spurs mates where always broke, so i just went on my own that season and fell in love the old girl.

i will never forgot that walk upto the stadium, through the concourse to find your seat and then you walk up and see the pitch and the stadium. l would be amazed for about 5 seconds pintching myself that im actually at WHL.

will be missed but cant wait for the new stadium... its gonna be amazing and i cant wait to see what memories she will bring (finders crossed trophies)

Back
Top Bottom