Greatest Goal Seen at the Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LeeMcl

Supporter
In less than 5 days our home will be no more. While it's important to move on. It is also lovely to remember and with that in mind, thought it would be fun to canvas opinions on the best goal ever seen in person at the Lane.

This is going to be subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. It does not need to be a big game winner, it could be a shin in from Gordon Durie.....the only rule is that it is strictly only goals seen in person allowed ( we would surely struggle to look past the Jimmy Greaves v Man Pooh or Hoddle v Oxford goals if going by YouTube )

As I go back to a 1987 debut v Nottingham Forest i am picking from goals from that 30 years period.

My top pick is: Gary Lineker v FC Porto 1991 ( 3-1 win ) I was in the East Stand looking across the penalty box line. A wonderful moment. A Sublime goal. What a pleasure it was to see Gary Lineker in a Spurs shirt. Superb striker.

I am cheating with a second and third place pick, but I started this so I can.....

Second: Keane v Birmingham 2003. Fantastic goal. Keane was a special player. At times he was our only hope. Massive shame he did what he did and never got back the respect he had fought so hard to obtain. But that goal was ( almost ) the perfect team goal. From the defense through to midfield and Keane - bang ! ..proof that Spurs is as much about a moment as it is about winning games.

Third: RVD v Inter. Rafa. Just world class on his day. In those big games he would step up and do what others could not do. All too brief was his stay. But a very special player and that moment when he put us ahead against the reigning European Champions was just magical.

WHL - what a place. Loved it. Will miss it more than words can say.

Last edited:
- Danny Rose vs. Woolwich
- Stephen Carr vs. Man Utd
- Erik Edman vs. Liverpool*
- Assou-Ekotto vs. Liverpool

Fuck me, we love a full back who can score a worldie against a top club.

*Anfield

Last edited:
- Danny Rose vs. Woolwich
- Stephen Carr vs. Man Utd
- Erik Edman vs. Liverpool
- Assou-Ekotto vs. Liverpool

Fuck me, we love a full back who can score a worldie against a top club.
Do you recall Carr's strike v Sunderland ? That was very special too ( think Edman's was away at Anfield )

Bale v Sunderland 2013
Kane 2nd goal vs Chavs 2015 (that turn was pure class)
vdv vs scum 2011 (both goals)
Rose vs scum 2010
Modric vs Pool 2011
Lennon vs chavs 2006

Kanoute's goal vs Everton is a goal that always springs to mind. I sit in Park Upper Block 43 and I can still see the goal in my mind now.

Steed's goal against Woolwich. The nail in the coffin in the 5-1 win. The goal was nothing special but I remember waiting for our luck to change and the scum to pull it back. When the fifth went in a shed a small tear in disbelief and turning to my dad in amazement that we had just smashed the scum 5-1!

This next goal will stay with me until the day I die. For me this goal sums up every reason why I love football and the ups and downs of being Spurs. That Harry Kane goal last year. For this game I was actually in North Upper and was in line with the ball and the top corner. The fact the goal came from nothing. I have never celebrated a goal so much. I literally shook my sisters head off and was screaming we're going to win the league. As we all no that didn't turn out to be true. I have never experienced such ecstasy when that goal went in. Maybe I need to try ecstasy for real?

Sunday is going to be a tough day

Anyone at the FA cup tie Jan 1978 v Bolton, 2-2?

The most impossible goal that Hoddle scored, and that includes the crazy vollies v Forest and Liverpool that thankfully were televised. Unfortunately the Bolton one wasn't. Far out near the RH corner flag at Paxton End, an unbelievable shot. Jimmy Armfield said it was the best goal he'd ever seen, and he would have seen a lot more than me then. The goal made no difference; Bolton equalised with a scrappy one a minute later, and we lost the replay.

Also, Lennon v Chavs Bonfire Night
Kanouté v Everton was a scorcher. Really annoyed with Jol when we sold him
Sandro got a belter v Manure in the 2-2 (AVB meltdown season)
Anderton v Leeds FA replay from miles out. Same match Ginola hit both posts with the same shot, that would have been up there. Picked up a short corner out right, mazy run across the box to the other side. He also hit the post with another from distance. He got a good goal too, would have been the greatest hat trick of all time.

Best goals away from the Lane: Hoddle freekick at Wimbledon 87 QF. To beat Beasant from so far out was amazing, he was so tall. And Gazza 91 Wembley of course.

Gary Lineker v FC Porto 1991 ( 3-1 win ) I was in the East Stand looking across the penalty box line. A wonderful moment. A Sublime goal. What a pleasure it was to see Gary Lineker in a Spurs shirt. Superb striker.

Immense goal

There have been many.....Kanoute v Everton, Keane v Chelsea in the 4-4....Defoe v West Ham where he took on the whole team from the hafway line.....Hoddle v Oxford..

Kanoute's goal vs Everton is a goal that always springs to mind. I sit in Park Upper Block 43 and I can still see the goal in my mind now.

Steed's goal against Woolwich. The nail in the coffin in the 5-1 win. The goal was nothing special but I remember waiting for our luck to change and the scum to pull it back. When the fifth went in a shed a small tear in disbelief and turning to my dad in amazement that we had just smashed the scum 5-1!

This next goal will stay with me until the day I die. For me this goal sums up every reason why I love football and the ups and downs of being Spurs. That Harry Kane goal last year. For this game I was actually in North Upper and was in line with the ball and the top corner. The fact the goal came from nothing. I have never celebrated a goal so much. I literally shook my sisters head off and was screaming we're going to win the league. As we all no that didn't turn out to be true. I have never experienced such ecstasy when that goal went in. Maybe I need to try ecstasy for real?

Sunday is going to be a tough day
you murdered your sister?

White Van Jan beat me to it. Tops all of the televised spectaculars. This:

The most impossible goal that Hoddle scored, and that includes the crazy vollies v Forest and Liverpool that thankfully were televised. Unfortunately the Bolton one wasn't. Far out near the RH corner flag at Paxton End, an unbelievable shot. Jimmy Armfield said it was the best goal he'd ever seen, and he would have seen a lot more than me then. The goal made no difference; Bolton equalised with a scrappy one a minute later, and we lost the replay.

I recall some Ginola volley which was quite special, a Defoe thunder strike from 30 yards against Boro in 2004 or 05 can't remember now. Mason's goal v. Forest was always one my favourites (though the atmosphere was beyond shite that night). I recall some cracking strike from Barmby (edge of the box thrust to the upper corner) but I honestly don't remember which match was it

best spurs goal I have ever seen live was Berbatov at Besiktas. I had to stay silent as I was sitting with the Besiktas crowd!

one of my least favourite people on the planet. It's like listening to a Chavski mad Bill Oddie. So I dont listen.

That season we lost 6-0 at United (that's Sheffield United), and 6-2 at Liverpool. Should have won the FA cup with a bit of luck.

Venables really did buy some strange players. Andy "tub o' lard" Gray springs to mind.

agree with a few already mentioned..

lineker - porto
rose - cunts
carr - sunderland

also carr v utd was a bit special

Back
Top Bottom