Greavesie is still all-time top goalscorer in the big 5 leagues

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/l...eagues-all-time-top-scorers-spurs-greaves-1/?

Yep, our Jimmy still heads the list, though maybe Messi and Ronaldo will overtake him.

Greavesie just pips Gerd Muller, due to the 9 he got while in Italy added to the 357 in England.

Greavesie was my idol as a kid, and I was privílged to have seen some of his best goals at the Lane. Unfortunately one of his greatest, one of 4 he put past Peter Shilton then of Leicester was never preserved on film, though I think the BBC did have footage of it at one time. (Might be wrong there, but I remember writing to them once trying to track it down, as a fellow fan had said he saw it on local news, and I kinda remember a sole camera being in the TV gantry that day).

Anyway, congrats Greavesie on still topping the list. Not that Sky ever mention it, you'd think it was Shearer leading the way, because of course football didn't exist before the Prem :rolleyes:

good stats there, would have been nice to see the number o fgames required to hit those figures.

Agreed you see Rooney overtake him in number of goals for England but Rooney has had far more games to do it but you wouldn't think that the way the media fawns over Rooney.

Pretty sure it would be the same for Spurs, his game per goals ratio at club level was nearly 2 goals per 3 games roughly over his whole career which is top draw.

Great list, thanks for sharing. I like League stats as it removes the large number of goals scores against minnows in European and international ( hi Rooney) matches.
Shame Shearer comes across as a prick on MOTD as that's an impressive record.

I though Rush would have been on that list somewhere.

Muller has a ridiculous record: his 365 Bayern goals came in 427 games. 68 international goals in 62 games. He's also won everything in the game.

good stats there, would have been nice to see the number o fgames required to hit those figures.
Yeah, I think Greaves would look mighty impressive with that factored in.

Interesting the length of the careers for most of the players was the same too. Most of the guys on the list seem to have had 14-17 year careers, with a few outliers.

I've nothing against Shearer personally. It's just the way that Sky always go on about him being the all-time Prem goalscorer, and I have never ever heard them mention once that Greaves outscored him in England by 74 goals and 83 altogether including Serie A. Shearer never playing abroad in one of the top lges.

The man is an absolute legend. One of my favourite pictures is of Greaves post match, socks rolled down, cuppa in one hand, snout in the other.
Aye it was a different world then. Apparently quite a few of the players would go down the local pubs after the game, places like the Bell & Hare/Corner Pin. So hard to imagine nowadays.

Shame Greavesie, got a bit too fond of the beer, cos he probably had another 30+ top flight goals in him, had he played into his 30s, as while his pace had gone, he still had skill and a goalscorer's brain.

I think it's absolutely disgraceful that there is no recognition of this great mans achievement.
I remember my grandad telling me he would chat with the fans and as a previous post said drink in the local pub.
And agree with comments that it seems football didn't exist before sky.

[unpopular comment]

C. Ronaldo will probably be 3rd by the end of the season, and no doubt will be closer to breaking Messi's records.

As much as people don't generally like him, he's a phenomenal player and no doubt people will envy us in the future for being able to watch the guy live.

[/unpopular comment]

[unpopular comment]

C. Ronaldo will probably be 3rd by the end of the season, and no doubt will be closer to breaking Messi's records.

As much as people don't generally like him, he's a phenomenal player and no doubt people will envy us in the future for being able to watch the guy live.

[/unpopular comment]
Not sure why you think it will be an unpopular comment, as its quite possibly going to come true.
He comes across as a complete douche (as our colonial cousins like to say) but it doesn't stop the fact that he's a superbly gifted and astonishingly talented footballer.

Aye it was a different world then. Apparently quite a few of the players would go down the local pubs after the game, places like the Bell & Hare/Corner Pin. So hard to imagine nowadays.

Shame Greavesie, got a bit too fond of the beer, cos he probably had another 30+ top flight goals in him, had he played into his 30s, as while his pace had gone, he still had skill and a goalscorer's brain.
Muller was a raging alchy as well, sign of the times, I guess.

Not sure why you think it will be an unpopular comment, as its quite possibly going to come true.
He comes across as a complete douche (as our colonial cousins like to say) but it doesn't stop the fact that he's a superbly gifted and astonishingly talented footballer.

Some people judge him based on their opinion of him as a celebrity/his perceived attitude rather than a footballer, though, so expecting some hate.

For those who don't know much about the great man's style and output, this gives a taste.

So many of his great goals are missing, because simply there wasn't wall to wall TV coverage in those days. So much of the skill he possessed, his sense of humour, his corners that he scored from, etc, etc.

Usually you had to go to the games to see the greats in actions, and people flocked in their thousands to see the likes of Greaves, Charlton etc.

Luckily, there is some of his legacy preserved for ever.

Shame there's a bit too much West Ham in the last video, but TV coverage was becoming wider by then, with the Big Match as well as Match of the Day.

Greaves was great friends with Bobby Moore, and Bobby wanted so much to leave West Ham in the 60s to join Spurs, such a shame that never went through.

Last edited:
For those who don't know much about the great man's style and output, this gives a taste.

So many of his great goals are missing, because simply there wasn't wall to wall TV coverage in those days. So much of the skill he possessed, his sense of humour, his corners that he scored from, etc, etc.

Usually you had to go to the games to see the greats in actions, and people flocked in their thousands to see the likes of Greaves, Charlton etc.

Luckily, there is some of his legacy preserved for ever.

Shame there's a bit too much West Ham in the last video, but TV coverage was becoming wider by then, with the Big Match as well as Match of the Day.

Greaves was great friends with Bobby Moore, and Bobby wanted so much to leave West Ham in the 60s to join Spurs, such a shame that never went through.

I'm looking at that video and trying to think of how to describe his style. A Messi who's also good in the air? I don't think clubs get more than one of these kinds of players per century.

[unpopular comment]

[/unpopular comment]
I hope he crushes Messi's record like a little maggot

What a player

Last edited:
I'm looking at that video and trying to think of how to describe his style. A Messi who's also good in the air? I don't think clubs get more than one of these kinds of players per century.
Certainly there's a lot of similarities between Greaves and Messi. Most of the other players on the list are markedly different to Greaves. Players like Shearer Lofthouse Ronaldo are/were much bigger than Greavesie.

And while Muller was similar height to Greaves, he was far more powerfully built.

Certainly there's a lot of similarities between Greaves and Messi. Most of the other players on the list are markedly different to Greaves. Players like Shearer Lofthouse Ronaldo are/were much bigger than Greavesie.

And while Muller was similar height to Greaves, he was far more powerfully built.
Yes, he's certainly not a physical monster, but seems to have a pretty perfect blend of blistering pace, quick directional changes and a good shot from just about anywhere it's physically possible to fire from. It's a pity he played when he did. Looking at his skillset, he'd really benefit from the changes to the rules in the modern game, as well as physical improvements to the ball and playing surface.

Back
Top Bottom