Greavesie is still all-time top goalscorer in the big 5 leagues

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, he's certainly not a physical monster, but seems to have a pretty perfect blend of blistering pace, quick directional changes and a good shot from just about anywhere it's physically possible to fire from. It's a pity he played when he did. Looking at his skillset, he'd really benefit from the changes to the rules in the modern game, as well as physical improvements to the ball and playing surface.
Good points, as a highly skilled and technically adept player, the modern game would suit Greavesie. Not sure about the double training sessions though :)

A measure of his natural talent is his record at youth level. Naturally it's not in the 'official figures' but it's amazing.

Taken from Wikipedia

scoring 51 goals in the 1955–56 season and 122 goals in the 1956–57 season under the tutelage of youth team coach Dickie Foss.[4] Greaves scored in the 1958 FA Youth Cup final, but Chelsea lost the two-legged tie 7–6 on aggregate afterWolverhampton Wanderers turned round a four goal deficit with a 6–1 win in the second leg.[5] He turned professional in the summer of 1957, though spent eight weeks working at a steel company to supplement his income during the summer break.[6]

My bolding.

122 goals in a season, most teams never match that in a season at any serious level. For one player to score that many, it's simply ridiculous.

Two adult records of Greavesie that are likely to stay for the foreseeable future.

41 Lge goals in one season for Chelsea, and 37 for Spurs. Costa is doing brilliantly but I doubt he'll get even 31 Prem goals this season, let alone 41. Generally speaking if you get 30 Prem goals in a season these days, it's absolutely exceptional.

Good points, as a highly skilled and technically adept player, the modern game would suit Greavesie. Not sure about the double training sessions though :)

A measure of his natural talent is his record at youth level. Naturally it's not in the 'official figures' but it's amazing.

Taken from Wikipedia

scoring 51 goals in the 1955–56 season and 122 goals in the 1956–57 season under the tutelage of youth team coach Dickie Foss.[4] Greaves scored in the 1958 FA Youth Cup final, but Chelsea lost the two-legged tie 7–6 on aggregate afterWolverhampton Wanderers turned round a four goal deficit with a 6–1 win in the second leg.[5] He turned professional in the summer of 1957, though spent eight weeks working at a steel company to supplement his income during the summer break.[6]

My bolding.

122 goals in a season, most teams never match that in a season at any serious level. For one player to score that many, it's simply ridiculous.

Two adult records of Greavesie that are likely to stay for the foreseeable future.

41 Lge goals in one season for Chelsea, and 37 for Spurs. Costa is doing brilliantly but I doubt he'll get even 31 Prem goals this season, let alone 41. Generally speaking if you get 30 Prem goals in a season these days, it's absolutely exceptional.
31 is the raw record for a 38 game Premier League season, 34 for a 42 game season. Either way, Greaves was a long way beyond that. At this point, he's definitely the forgotten striker when you look at the halo that a lot of his contemporaries (di Stefano, Pele, Muller, Cruyf) received.

And yeah he probably would have hated the double sessions. But just imagine what he'd have done to the opposition when that fit!

Last edited:
60 is the record for a 42 game season - 1927-28 Dixie Dean for Everton.

Think he meant Premier League, old Div 1 was a separate entity but you're correct for top division.

P.S. William Dean. He hated 'Dixie'. Ironic that he's remembered by that name lol.

Think he meant Premier League, old Div 1 was a separate entity but you're correct for top division.

P.S. William Dean. He hated 'Dixie'. Ironic that he's remembered by that name lol.
An Everton supporting friend of mine was at the unveiling of W Dean's statue at Goodison - about 15 years ago, and when they pulled the cover off, this bloke behind him said "No wonder he scored all them goals - look at the size of the cunt".

For kicks I sometimes wonder what would happen if you let someone like Guardiola loose on the pre-war, or even pre-Brazil '70 football world. Then I realize that even Sam Allardyce would seem a visionary to them. And then I shudder and retch.
It would work. Modern football is boring. Progress doesn't always go in a forward direction - it sometimes slips round the back - but we're all being happily conned.

It would work. Modern football is boring. Progress doesn't always go in a forward direction - it sometimes slips round the back - but we're all being happily conned.
It seems to be, but I have hope. At some point, everyone's going to wind up going full Ardiles/Zdenek. We've seen every other tactical trend. It's time for 0-0-10!

Yep, enjoy your 75th year JG. Not just the greatest goalscorer we've had, but the greatest goalscorer the top flight of English football (Div1/Prem) has ever seen.

And indeed as per my opening post, still the leading top flight scorer in all the major European Leagues.

QcuXDRO.gif

Back
Top Bottom