Handball law set to change

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"in certain circumstances"!!! As if there isn't enough confusion around handball already. IMO you need to bite the bullet and either don't give handballs or give a handball when it hits hand/arm regardless of the intent. I'd go with the latter because to have no handball would encourage players getting away with some deliberate cases.

I've been playing for decades and I get pinged for handball 3 times a season(??), I can honestly say I've never deliberately gone to handle the ball once.

"in certain circumstances"!!! As if there isn't enough confusion around handball already. IMO you need to bite the bullet and either don't give handballs or give a handball when it hits hand/arm regardless of the intent. I'd go with the latter because to have no handball would encourage players getting away with some deliberate cases.

I've been playing for decades and I get pinged for handball 3 times a season(??), I can honestly say I've never deliberately gone to handle the ball once.
There's to much confusion (if that's the right word) at the moment.
Did he move is arm ?
Is the arm in an unnatural position ?
How far was from the ball when it was played ?
How fast was the ball moving ?

They can't make it worse with this....Can they ?

Handball should be handball no matter what.
Some might be accidental but it will cut out all the did he or didn't he and God help us when VAR comes in.

God help us when VAR comes in.

Too true. I don't recall VAR really infringing too much during the World Cup, but in domestic football it seems to be a total unrelenting nightmare. Overly officious English referees watching every single match event over and over and over and over here we come.

On the upside, just start betting on all Premier League games to have a penalty. It'll be like printing money.

I agree 100% with Woy.

A couple of weeks into the season and we've seen too many games decided unfairly by this stupid rule.

I agree 100% with Woy.

A couple of weeks into the season and we've seen too many games decided unfairly by this stupid rule.

Changing the rules to make the game adjudicatable by slo-mo replay rather than the judgment of a human being.

I agree 100% with Woy.
Me too and I totally admire the way he went about explaining just how stupid the rule is, calmly and objectively. No sour grapes and putting the blame firmly on the shoulders of the people/organisations responsible. Football is destroying itself from within without any justification at all.
Remove the unnecessary technology and nonsensical rules and give us our game back.

From the first game I watched with VAR I hated it. It's inconsistent and they make mistakes all the time. It has taken the joy of scoring away as you don't know if you celebrate. Thankfully spurs were 5-1 up last week when they conceded the penalty. How can it ever be deemed hand ball if someone kicks a ball at you which then spins upwards and tips your hand? Bin it, keep it for red cards and goal line technology only, which they have even fucked up as well. Let the linesman and the ref look after the rest. They did a pretty good job before var

I agree 100% with Woy.

I agree with you mummy mummy - It happened again today, to your beloved Spurs, but far, far worse than yesterday.

The morons who run the beautiful game have succeeded in removing subjectivity from handball, but they've replaced it with a new rule that is even more unfair! Run the game? Nah. Ruined the game.

Handball should be handball everytime regardless of intent. Subjectivity will always lead to bad decisions. At least if theres just 1 set of rules, its more acceptable even when it feels 'unfair'.

Handball should be handball everytime regardless of intent. Subjectivity will always lead to bad decisions. At least if theres just 1 set of rules, its more acceptable even when it feels 'unfair'.
The problem is consistency, 1 rule or 10 rules doesn’t matter, the people enforcing the rules are a mess....

But it seems to be applied differently outside the box? It would just mean the game being stopped all the time when players just kick it at each other: surely you can see that?

Its either clear rules or whining and crying about the referee every week.

What planet are you on? You're not really suggesting your 'clear rules' eliminate the whining and crying, are you? If so, what have we all been doing ever since that ridiculous travesty of a penalty was awarded?

Your 'clear rules' are clearly idiotic.

What planet are you on? You're not really suggesting your 'clear rules' eliminate the whining and crying, are you? If so, what have we all been doing ever since that ridiculous travesty of a penalty was awarded?

Your 'clear rules' are clearly idiotic.
Well I have heard whining and crying makes the world go round. If it stops, it could affect the earths rotation and send us spiralling towards the sun. I take it all back.

I’m pretty sure that if the handball rule is retained much further, then footballers, when they are in the penalty area, are not going to bother about shooting for goal but are just going to kick the ball at the opposition defenders, there’s probably a one in four chance that they will hit an arm and so get an easy penalty.
Who will want to watch footie then?

Back
Top Bottom