Handball law set to change

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem is that accidental handballs have the same punishment as a deliberate foul...how is that fair?

Indirect free-kicks might be more appropriate...

Gabby Agbonlahor on Talk sport saying that shorts should have pockets so players can put there hands in them. Seriously this is the farce that football is becoming with these clowns ruining the game.

I like Roy a lot. A good man in my view.

Steve Bruce as well for me, he come out after the game yesterday saying it was nonsense and (basically) they didnt deserve anything put of the game.

I'm pretty sure our strikers are being told to start aiming at defender's arms now in the box if they can't hit the target, go for the arm. It's a sad inditement of what the game is becoming now.

You saw that yesterday with Newcastle in particular. Just lump the ball into he box and shout for a pen no matter where it hits the defender. It'll become like watching rugby union where a team just grinds games out with pens all game, but without the skill level. Just blind luck.

If we gonna have these stupid rules then we surely deserve to have the ref's mic'd up to actually hear the reasoning for shitty decisions. Also to be allowed to be interviewed by the press after a game.

Rules are dog shit but ref's have it too easy aswell.
I could get behind this. If this is how it has to be then make the referees justify their decisions.

This handball law is a consequence of VAR, designed to make rules unambiguous, even at the expense of fairness or the spirit of the game. Designed to protect referees from accusations of bias by removing the subjective.

What we have now is a whole new way to score - the target is no longer just the goal, but also the opposition hand. You couldn't have a much more fundamental change to the laws of our great game than that.

The British invented football and evolved the rules carefully and sensibly all those years ago. We have a proud heritage in that sense and I think we now need to reclaim that spirit of fairness and restore some common sense. Even if, ultimately, it means going it alone from FIFA and other European leagues on this.

The British invented football and evolved the rules carefully and sensibly all those years ago. .

We evolved the rules to factor in what happens in a game based on what happens in a game. The IFAB/FIFA et al evolve rules based on a group of people sitting in a room dreaming up hypothetical situations and theoretical reason for such things happening. resulting in phrases like "the arm making your body unnaturally bigger", or the arm "being in a natural position". As far as I'm concerned, if your arm is attached to the body at the shoulder, it's completely natural.

We evolved the rules to factor in what happens in a game based on what happens in a game. The IFAB/FIFA et al evolve rules based on a group of people sitting in a room dreaming up hypothetical situations and theoretical reason for such things happening. resulting in phrases like "the arm making your body unnaturally bigger", or the arm "being in a natural position". As far as I'm concerned, if your arm is attached to the body at the shoulder, it's completely natural.
Yes, humans have arms, seems a bit unfair to penalise that.

Can someone tell me if they clarify what "unnatural position" means in the rule book? As far as I'm concerned if you're using your arms to either balance yourself or protect another part of your body it's literally as natural as you can get - it's fucking human reaction.

This handball law is a consequence of VAR, designed to make rules unambiguous, even at the expense of fairness or the spirit of the game. Designed to protect referees from accusations of bias by removing the subjective.

What we have now is a whole new way to score - the target is no longer just the goal, but also the opposition hand. You couldn't have a much more fundamental change to the laws of our great game than that.

The British invented football and evolved the rules carefully and sensibly all those years ago. We have a proud heritage in that sense and I think we now need to reclaim that spirit of fairness and restore some common sense. Even if, ultimately, it means going it alone from FIFA and other European leagues on this.
It's an Englishman making all of these decisions at IFAB.

The problem is that accidental handballs have the same punishment as a deliberate foul...how is that fair?

Indirect free-kicks might be more appropriate...
If someones 'accidental handball' ruins the attack for the other team. then the one who had the accident should not be benefitting from it.

If someones 'accidental handball' ruins the attack for the other team. then the one who had the accident should not be benefitting from it.
I'm not saying that he should benefit from it. An indirect free kick in the box is more fitting than a penalty though.

If he handled the ball on purpose it's a penalty. Replays can show if he saw the ball coming and moved his arm towards it, if it's unclear then it's an indirect free kick.

Fucking handball rule was perfectly fine the way it was. Been watching/playing the game for almost 30 years and don't recall people up in arms about it, clamoring for it to be changed. Just fucking revert back to the way it was and allow refs to exercise a bit of common sense.

The way it is currently just isn't fit for purpose and will drastically alter the way attacking teams seek to get cheap penalties. If I'm a forward jumping for a header I'll just think head it towards the defender's arm - almost guaranteed pen. Defenders now have to play with arms absurdly and dangerously behind their back, and can't compete with a header because their arms will be in 'unnatural' (fuck me) positions as they extend up/outwards for elevation.

What a ridiculous state of affairs. How has it come to this?

Last edited:
Fucking handball rule was perfectly fine the way it was. Been watching/playing the game for almost 30 years and don't recall people up in arms about it, clamoring for it to be changed. Just fucking revert back to the way it was and allow refs to exercise a bit of common sense.

The way it is currently just isn't fit for purpose and will drastically alter the way attacking teams seek to get cheap penalties. If I'm a forward jumping for a header I'll just think head it towards the defender's arm - almost guaranteed pen. Defenders now have to play with arms absurdly and dangerously behind their back, and can't compete with a header because their arms will be in 'unnatural' (fuck me) positions as they extend up/outwards for elevation.

What a ridiculous state of affairs. How has it come to this?

'up in arms'

:levylol:

I'm not saying that he should benefit from it. An indirect free kick in the box is more fitting than a penalty though.

If he handled the ball on purpose it's a penalty. Replays can show if he saw the ball coming and moved his arm towards it, if it's unclear then it's an indirect free kick.
I guess if there wasnt a goalscoring chance then a freekick is okay. But if its ruined a chance , then a penalty has to be awarded surely.

All the officials involved in Sunday's match would readily agree that Eric Dier was clearly guilty of doing nothing other than jumping in an attempt to head the ball.

Normally, innocent players are only punished accidentally, due to human error. This has changed.

The new handball rule legitimises punishing innocent players, people who are simply trying to play the game properly. It is a flawed concept, because it intentionally punishes the innocent. It must be rescinded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom