Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
I am not saying that if we wanted to sign Lukaku that he would have chosen Spurs, but what I am saying is that Everton is reckoning the importance of what a great strike force can give you. We don't.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do feel that every window we don't get that striker we need, is a window were we fail. We might improve the squad we have, but we wont be able to improve our final league standing. And yes we need Poch to get Soldado to deliver, but he is not a magician

I agree in some ways too, but Im still firmly of the belief that this team hasnt failed yet. AVB and Sherwood last season accounted for nothing and for me, it seems like the players that Poch didnt want, he got rid of. The rest he will have to work with for now. They are still new signings in some ways.

People here know I am one of Soldados biggest critics....but its weird that people who tried telling me he had a very good season last year, and he is a great, intelligent player who was let down by having a system that didnt suit him, and that he will come good etc etc etc are nowhere to be seen, and here I am, all alone, trying to back him while they slate the club for leaving us with a "load of shit" up front..

We also shouldnt look to Everton as a beacon.....they didnt buy for 8 years despite selling players like Rooney, Lescott and Fellaini for 70 odd Million.

I agree in some ways too, but Im still firmly of the belief that this team hasnt failed yet. AVB and Sherwood last season accounted for nothing and for me, it seems like the players that Poch didnt want, he got rid of. The rest he will have to work with for now. They are still new signings in some ways.

People here know I am one of Soldados biggest critics....but its weird that people who tried telling me he had a very good season last year, and he is a great, intelligent player who was let down by having a system that didnt suit him, and that he will come good etc etc etc are nowhere to be seen, and here I am, all alone, trying to back him while they slate the club for leaving us with a "load of shit" up front..

We also shouldnt look to Everton as a beacon.....they didnt buy for 8 years despite selling players like Rooney, Lescott and Fellaini for 70 odd Million.

Everton is not a beacon, but I do believe they have done a very good transfer window by focusing on strikers. Same with Liverpool witch was awful before Suarez and Sturidge started to work together.

But lets forget all the other teams.

I do believe that we are undermining the importance of what a good striking force can provide, and we have done that for many years. Maby the right targets hasn't been out there this window,( I belive it has), but It certainly have been during the last 6 years.

Also - the poll questions are preposterous to put it mildly - doing a Leeds or Pompey? Are you having laugh, mate - 6th biggest market share in the PL, 70 quid ticket prices, solid sponsorship deals and TV numbers

HP paid us 19m last season - I'm sure AIA is even more

• Tottenham Hotspur revenue from jersey sponsorship 2009-2014 | Statistic

Our wage bill to revenue ratio is in the 60%

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/99/91/07/1999107_DOWNLOAD.pdf
As you probably know mate, I`m one of the most vocal on here in my stance against Enic. I was just trying to get the Levy cock-munchers to take part in the poll. There was also a hint of sarcasm in that question too.

Should have some options of:

Are you happy to be self sufficient?

Do you want to spend beyond our means?

Do you realise that you are whining about not spending when we have the 6th highest Purchased Gross - behind City, arse, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool - all of who are CL regulars and/or have massive debts and/or a Sugar Daddy

Do you realise that buying players you dont rate doesnt mean we have not spent money?

Do you realise that selling players, and spending the money still means spending money?

You would rather support a football club that spent money it didnt have to buy a title....then you have the nerve to mock the Pompey and Leeds comparisons.
Your back are you. Or have you not been away since last night. Cos` actually the Pompey / Leeds comparisons were yours. From last night, in the summer transfer window thread. I was hoping you`d appreciate me using them.

Your back are you. Or have you not been away since last night. Cos` actually the Pompey / Leeds comparisons were yours. From last night, in the summer transfer window thread. I was hoping you`d appreciate me using them.

I know they were my comparisons, and they are valid. I simply said that its rich to mock the comparisons when you clearly want the club to spend beyond its means.

Last edited:
I'm just not massively impressed that with the high managerial turnover, we're constantly selling and replacing players, rather than having some continuity.

It leaves us with a bunch of players that the fans have no connection with whatsoever, I'm struggling to see a future club legend in our squad right now.

I think people are overlooking the fact that we spent almost all of the Bale money last season and still have all 7 of the players we brought in. That's still a lot of bedding in to do, especially when some of them have barely been playing under the various managers. Add in the mostly new back line we have recently bought and the return of Lamela and we are looking at a lot of players who all need game time and could potentially turn out to be very capable players.

Just because we got spanked by Liverpool in our third premier league game under a new manager doesn't mean we are desperate for quality. If anything we are desperate for time and cohesion, which WILL NOT come with buying more and more players. There is no point recycling the squad for the sake of spending the money we have.

Have faith in our players, our squad is looking excellent at the moment in my opinion - with two legitimate options in every position of a 4-2-3-1.

I know they were mine comparisons, and they are valid. I simply said that its rich to mock the comparisons when you clearly want the club to spend beyond its means.
Where did I say I want the club to spend beyond their means ? Please support this assumption.

Anyway, your losing the fucking poll pal.

I'm just not massively impressed that with the high managerial turnover, we're constantly selling and replacing players, rather than having some continuity.
Exactly - weren't we the second highest spenders on agents' fees 2 season ago?

Where did I say I want the club to spend beyond their means ? Please support this assumption.

Anyway, your losing the fucking poll pal.

I dont care what Im "losing", or who agrees on here..I didnt even vote in the farce of a poll.

What matters is that my opinion on spending is being supported in the way the club is being run.....your desperate claims are insignificant.

The fact you want us to spend money, based on the fairytale premise that the NDP is a hoax says it all about the money you want us to spend.

I believe we have valid reasons to stay self sufficient and stick to our policy. You believe those reasons are faked, so what is there left to discuss?

As I said last night, its a bit like trying to tell someone that the Titanic sank, and all you get back is "no it didnt, they are lying"...pointless.

Last edited:
Should have some options of:

Are you happy to be self sufficient?

Do you want to spend beyond our means?

Do you realise that you are whining about not spending when we have the 6th highest Purchased Gross - behind City, arse, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool - all of who are CL regulars and/or have massive debts and/or a Sugar Daddy

Do you realise that buying players you dont rate doesnt mean we have not spent money?

Do you realise that selling players, and spending the money still means spending money?

I'll answer the 1st bit & the rest later as I'm a bit pressed for time :)

If we're self sufficient then we surly don't need enic , who as it seems are only looking for a big payday. If we can after each window make a positive off our own back then why have them here at all ?

Head says that Poch knows what he is doing, but I get emotional about some of them. I don't like it when favourites leave ... if I was in charge we would have a squad of about 85.

I'll answer the 1st bit & the rest later as I'm a bit pressed for time :)

If we're self sufficient then we surly don't need enic , who as it seems are only looking for a big payday. If we can after each window make a positive off our own back then why have them here at all ?

I think we do need ENIC...I believe they are a big plus in our sponsership negotiations and things like the new training centre etc......

Just because they dont lavish us with 250K a week players doesnt mean they are useless.

Back
Top Bottom