Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
I think Poch is a realist , and seeing how other managers were not provided with
their main targets had little expectations . The Saints were a car crash so coming to
Spurs without losing the core players (maybe for 1 season ) was a bit of a step up.
Of course the club would have pointed out they would try and provide him with the players he wanted
but we have a history frugality so there was no chance, he is not stupid .
So he is stuck with under performing team and will have to work a miracle to keep the
2 walking corpses happy over a period of time.

West Brom at home after that, who look like they may struggle this season and got dicked 3-0 by Swansea. I'm still optimistic we can have a good season, just don't think it will be a great one. Still far too early to tell.
If you compare the results to last season we are ahead of the game.

Away at West Ham ... + 3 points
Home to the Championship playoff winner ... no change
Home to Liverpool ... no change

We also beat two shit teams to start the season last year without conceding or playing particularly well before losing to a 'top 4 rival' without scoring in the 3rd game.

True, but I believe we won at Sunderland, gonna be difficult to emulate that. Especially as it seems Ade is off to Africa and will doubtless be knackered on his return. I so hope neither him or Bentaleb are played up at the SOL, as no way will they be fit enough for what will be a tough encounter, IMHO.

Anyway with regard to transfers, I'm no ENIC fan and have been on record for many years as saying they are not as good for us as Chelsea's and City's owners are for their clubs. But given they are not going to play the billionaire benefactor game, it's been a reasonable one, in that some key issues were dealt with. However, had we got Welbeck in, or even a Shane Long type, that would have made it a very successful window, WITHIN ENIC PARAMETERS. For where we should be, in my eyes that saw the glories of the 60s, it's not good enough.

Back to the present, not to have filled our quota of homegrown players is a mistake IMO and I can see us being stretched beyond breaking point over 4 competitions, international call ups, injuries, suspensions, etc.

Already it's pretty clear to me Kaboul shouldn't have played on Thursday and Sunday, but I can sympathize as to why Poch did it. I can easily imagine problems after the international break too, as alluded to above. A long trip away game such as Sunderland is always a worry after many of our players have been wandering round Europe and beyond.

Some/many will return tired to 'training' on Friday, and then pretty much straight on the coach for another long journey.

Last edited:

levy2.gif

Whenever I think about the fact we have just 3 strikers for a possible 60 game season, I get lightheaded and nauseous.

But then I think about the January window, and I feel a bit better.

Whenever I think about the fact we have just 3 strikers for a possible 60 game season, I get lightheaded and nauseous.

But then I think about the January window, and I feel a bit better.
same here, but then I remember the 3 strikers we have are Adebayor, Soldado and Kane and I go back to feeling lightheaded

Stupid comments after the YES and NO options. Makes no sense at all.

Personally, I am quite happy about this window. We did not get our first choices (MS and MM) for reasons that was beyond our control. I.e. 3rd party ownership and Southampton refusing to sell. What can you do? Pay over £35 million for a CB???? So we got the second best instead - saving a lot of money in the process.

I know allot of people wanted a new striker. I think so too. But given what was out there, I am not too sure that anyone would have been a major improvement on the current squad. Basically we cannot have more than 3 strikers in total.

The only major disappointment for me is that we did not get Memphis Depay, as I think that boy will be golden in the future. I also think that we could have offloaded one or two more players. With that said, I believe it is more important for MoPo to get to know his squad first and than perhaps in January (more likely the next season) make a true and more calculated decision on what kind of players he think we actually need to buy and sell

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom