Harry Kane: subject to envious hate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

While it's obviously true Harry gets way more stick than he deserves for the national team I don't think it's exclusive to him.

I'm not sure how common it is in other countries but English fans start attacking players who play for rival clubs the second they don't put out at least a 9/10 performance.

Just look at how much Sterling has been getting destroyed for years despite being a really good player. The bigger and better the player - the more criticism he gets.

Ronaldo has been getting slated by millions of people for like 15 years despite always being a top 2 player lol.

While it's obviously true Harry gets way more stick than he deserves for the national team I don't think it's exclusive to him.

I'm not sure how common it is in other countries but English fans start attacking players who play for rival clubs the second they don't put out at least a 9/10 performance.

Just look at how much Sterling has been getting destroyed for years despite being a really good player. The bigger and better the player - the more criticism he gets.

Ronaldo has been getting slated by millions of people for like 15 years despite always being a top 2 player lol.
I reckon a part of it is whenever a player from another club in the national team rivals one of your own.

See: people (with Chelsea bias) rimming Barkley on a very small sample size, essentially bigging him up over Dele.

You also get the whole 'Henderson should be captain over Kane' narrative popping up before the World Cup, with the knifes out for our dear Harry at any opportunity.

74,000 people did not give him any stick last Sunday against Croatia, probably not many Spurs fans jumping up and down with the Harry and England winner.

I reckon a part of it is whenever a player from another club in the national team rivals one of your own.

See: people (with Chelsea bias) rimming Barkley on a very small sample size, essentially bigging him up over Dele.

You also get the whole 'Henderson should be captain over Kane' narrative popping up before the World Cup, with the knifes out for our dear Harry at any opportunity.

I think it's because he is against the norm when it comes to how spoilt we are for finesse, touch, elegance etc. People who are slating him compare him to the Iniestas & Messi's of this world.

The same can be said for Ronaldo. People still don't rate him even though he's won pretty much everything in his path over a career that has hammered records. Harry doesn't fit the mound of easy on the eye but his hold up play, tenacity, relentlessness and ruthlessness in front of goal make him top of the pile when it comes to his position. What he's prepared to do for the team and what he gives in movement in possession or when the other team has the ball is second to none. It's one of those things you don't see unless you watch what happens in the whole game not just when a player has a ball at his feet.anyone who thinks it's luck to have scored the goals he's scored clearly hasn't played as a striker or at a sound level of the game to understand where to sniff out threats and get others into play

I think it's because he is against the norm when it comes to how spoilt we are for finesse, touch, elegance etc. People who are slating him compare him to the Iniestas & Messi's of this world.

The same can be said for Ronaldo. People still don't rate him even though he's won pretty much everything in his path over a career that has hammered records. Harry doesn't fit the mound of easy on the eye but his hold up play, tenacity, relentlessness and ruthlessness in front of goal make him top of the pile when it comes to his position. What he's prepared to do for the team and what he gives in movement in possession or when the other team has the ball is second to none. It's one of those things you don't see unless you watch what happens in the whole game not just when a player has a ball at his feet.anyone who thinks it's luck to have scored the goals he's scored clearly hasn't played as a striker or at a sound level of the game to understand where to sniff out threats and get others into play

I think most people rate Greasy Ron. They just don’t like him.

Back
Top Bottom