Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ESPNS top 100 player rankings are out...

ESPN has Kane at #4 among strikers? Anything not in the top 2-3 is ridiculous given his form.
That article was written by an idiot who probably spends more time playing FIFA on the PlayStation than they do watching actual football.

Its pretty standard, low grade, student type reporting that is consistent with ESPN's extremely poor quality standards.

This is ridiculous.

Mourinho is actually getting the credit for something Kane has had in his locker since his youth days.

This is ridiculous.

Mourinho is actually getting the credit for something Kane has had in his locker since his youth days.

whats wrong with mourinho getting credit for kane being the best version weve ever seen? you think kane would of been this good with poch still manager? wed have dele in the hole trying pointless nutmegs going no where still, with kane being starved of service.

whats wrong with mourinho getting credit for kane being the best version weve ever seen? you think kane would of been this good with poch still manager? wed have dele in the hole trying pointless nutmegs going no where still, with kane being starved of service.

Because Kane isn't any different to the Kane we have seen in previous years. He's just FINALLY getting assists because players are being less wasteful. Most likely because it's Son on the end of them. He's always come deep, especially over the last 2 or 3 years.

Again, it's lazy. So so lazy.

People looking at stats columns to determine a players true identity and ability. "Kane can't be creative, he's only had about 5 assists in his whole Premier League career" - fast forward literally a few months and "Kane is complete, 9 assists in the opening 10 Premier League games is unreal" etc. etc.

Anyone who saw Kane at youth level knew that he was a player who could pass a ball. He would even play some games in attacking midfield.

and Kane WAS this good with Poch as manager.

562342-ceb3cffda14df459ccb20738f5b46071.jpg

At 23 years old too.

And even back then he would drop deep and create. Kane is no more complete now than he was back then. He's just simply having a season where his passing is finally being rewarded.

i disagree i think hes more of a team player now than hes ever been, yes hes always been able to create..thats not something you can teach thats innate with footballers. he was very greedy before and now hes more ruthless in getting the game won for the team.....i think thats down to working with mourinho imo

Because Kane isn't any different to the Kane we have seen in previous years. He's just FINALLY getting assists because players are being less wasteful. Most likely because it's Son on the end of them. He's always come deep, especially over the last 2 or 3 years.

People looking at stats columns to determine a players true identity and ability. "Kane can't be creative, he's only had about 5 assists in his whole Premier League career" - fast forward literally a few months and "Kane is complete, 9 assists in the opening 10 Premier League games is unreal" etc. etc.

Anyone who saw Kane at youth level knew that he was a player who could pass a ball. He would even play some games in attacking midfield.

At 23 years old too.

And even back then he would drop deep and create. Kane is no more complete now than he was back then. He's just simply having a season where his passing is finally being rewarded.

Lets hope this continues. I'm not ready to say that this Kane & Son dominant dynamic is permanent . My hunch is that the good teams will be able to adjust and it'll be much more difficult to sneak those passes in behind the opposing defense. We're going to have to get NDombele and GLC to also serve as playmakers throughout the entirety of the season and have Stevie, Lucas, Lamela, Bale contributing on the opposite side of Son. It's a full team effort that requires us giving opposing defenses a variety of looks/tactics etc. otherwise it's going to be fairly easy for teams to adjust and counteract what we're doing successfully.

i disagree i think hes more of a team player now than hes ever been, yes hes always been able to create..thats not something you can teach thats innate with footballers. he was very greedy before and now hes more ruthless in getting the game won for the team.....i think thats down to working with mourinho imo
Probably has to do with him playing the traditional striker role under Poch tbh. Chances created won't matter if the receiving end doesn't make good finishes. Goals won't happen without good chances created. I think the team overall improved a lot significantly and you gotta give credit to Jose for some.

Mourinho deserves credit for realising how to use Kane, but what he did is a very minimal tactical adjustment as far Kane's game is concerned. The only significant difference is that Kane passes directly to the runner on the ball (son), rather than spreading play out wide to the fullbacks. His ability to read the game and execute has been there for a long time.

If you watch a Kane compilation video from years past, even those through balls to Son are present, they often tended to land for Dele and Eriksen, think of the Woolwich FA cup game when Dele chipped Petr Cech. or the time he did it agianst Swansea but Dele hit the crossbar before rebounding it in.

The bigger factor is that Son is finishing at a far superior rate than Eriksen or Dele ever did. The volume of those great through balls is not that much higher IMO.

It's a similar story for England, he ran the show in the previous nations leauge and Euro qualifier games, but the stats exploded when Rashford and Sterling finally stopped bottling chances for a short time, and both played almost exactly the role Son plays for us. Pickford > Kane > Rashford/Sterling dismantled Spain not that long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going to have to get NDombele and GLC to also serve as playmakers throughout the entirety of the season and have Stevie, Lucas, Lamela, Bale contributing on the opposite side of Son. It's a full team effort that requires us giving opposing defenses a variety of looks/tactics etc
Haha, you're saying the exact same thing as I was alluding to in the Son thread, but got all bent out of shape cos I said "son is a limited player".

This is exactly my point. Son is best utilised as the runner in behind, someone else will have to be the Grealish/Hazard/Salah/Ziyech type winger, the one who can do great things on the ball, without needing space in behind to run into.

Last edited by a moderator:

At 23 years old too.

Biggest part I agree with here is that Son’s ability in the last year to be incredibly clinical with chances has shined an enormous spotlight on what Harry has always done.

Haha, you're saying the exact same thing as I was alluding to in the Son thread, but got all bent out of shape for I said "son is a limited player".

This is exactly my point. Son is best utilised as the runner in behind, someone else will have to be the Grealish/Hazard/Salah/Ziyech type winger, the one who can do great things on the ball, without needing space in behind to run into.
He’s not a ‘limited’ player as you claim though. Son just happens to be great at getting in behind, beating defenders and getting a 1x1 with the keeper. It’s our most effective and efficient form of attack which happens to play into Jose’s tactics. If we need him to be a playmaker dishing out assists, he can do that as well but as we have seen, he is our most efficient goal scoring threat so there’s no way we are going to sacrifice his ability as a goalscorer and turn his focus away from what he's great at. If and when a change is needed, I have no doubt Son will be able to step in and do a great job at whatever role Jose sees fit.

Last edited:
Agreed.

In cases like that an apology isn't worth shit.
Kane's my favourite player of all time and I didn't like that video but I think this modern attitude of "it doesn't matter how you react to a mistake: your career and your life should be over" is a huge problem. We don't need this extrajudicial system of outrage mobs who live for the perverse dopamine hit they get when they ruin someone's life.

At 23 years old too.

Daft to say he is no more complete than back then.
He may have always exhibited the ability to perform in a 10 role but he is now doing it consistently, every game in fact.
In the end it was Jose that made the decision to allow Kane to drop and have son and others running in behind.
As obvious as it seemed no other manager did it, Jose has so Jose gets the plaudits.

At 23 years old too.

Kane assist

I had the often displeasure of seeing him having to deal with Millwall's lack of creative opportunities in his youth, but here's some evidence of his quick thinking even back then, with the ball even being in motion as he struck a quick free quick near the final minutes of this match

Kane's my favourite player of all time and I didn't like that video but I think this modern attitude of "it doesn't matter how you react to a mistake: your career and your life should be over" is a huge problem. We don't need this extrajudicial system of outrage mobs who live for the perverse dopamine hit they get when they ruin someone's life.
I don’t agree with ‘cancel culture’, which is what you’re referring to, but I also don’t think an apology always cuts it as a reasonable attempt to make amends.

It wasn’t an accident or slip of the tongue, and it was obvious that the apology was insincere and purely a matter of trying to save their own skin. When people act like that they ruin their own lives.

Kane assist

I had the often displeasure of seeing him having to deal with Millwall's lack of creative opportunities in his youth, but here's some evidence of his quick thinking even back then, with the ball even being in motion as he struck a quick free quick near the final minutes of this match

Like looking at Kane in modern day.

Jose was clearly a visionary back then and gave the Millwall manager a call.

Back
Top Bottom