Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In YOUR opinion.

I'm sure some stato probably has some appropriate numbers at their disposal..... Perhaps someone is equiped to step in and prove one of us wrong......?
He did win a lot of freekicks for us last year. Most hes ever won for us in a season . 60 compared previous years 44, 53, 41 etc.. Inversely proportional to the number of goals hes scoring. Doesnt have the legs to get away from players and score himself, so instead gets the foul.

Kane is playing shit, he needs to be better.

But fuck me, is it hard being a forward in this team or what? At least with Mourinho, in the early days anyway, there were chances created in transition (and Kane was a big part of the creation to be fair). The team as it stands right now is devoid of creativity.

It is indeed horrendous. All the statistics show this. We are below relegation threatened teams in terms of our ability to create clear cut opportunities, and whilst a lazy, disinterested striker might not help with that, it's so clear we just have a total lack of ideas.

There is no identity at the club. If you lack creativity then you have to hammer home coaching with players, work with them to create patterns of play which are burned in to their brain and consistently effective.

1 less year on his contract, even more older and slower and possibly with a terrible season. Noway on earth is anyone paying £120m for him.

Levy failed on so many levels.
He failed spurs for not improving our squad by using the Kane money.
He failed Kane not letting him go and not improving the players around him.
He failed himself for not negotiating with city and now will end up with much less than we could have.
:deledoubt:
How did you spin this onto Levy? Crikey.

Even the Levy haters must concede that Levy does what is best for the business, and it’s best for the business to have one of the alleged top-3 or 4 strikers in the world on the team (even if it is to save having to buy other players).

And, FWIW, I couldn’t care less if he ‘failed’ Kane - Kane’s current half-arsed efforts and his unapologetic behaviour since being a bellend just show someone really arrogant and - frankly - a little deluded. The most most most elite talk the talk but also do the walking (see Ronaldo, Jose, Messi etc).

Regarding negotiations, I don’t walk into a shop and expect the shopkeeper to name me a nice low price, particularly if it’s not even a shop, with nothing for sale.

To be clear I said City.

And the evidence is clear as day they didn't buy one.

I suspect this distinction between City and Pep is probably important. It's clear that Pep wanted Kane. He made that clear, to the world and almost certainly to his front office. But when City's office came to make a deal, it's also pretty clear that they were never coming remotely close to our valuation. Why? From their position, Pep's time at City is likely quite limited--rumors about him moving on soon have been circulating for awhile now--and they're clearly not convinced that Kane is a good long-term investment, and that our valuation is wildly inflated.

It's early, but the returns so far suggest they were right.

I have supported Spurs since I was a child some 75 years ago. I don’t live nearby and it was only in the 1960’s that I was able to see Tottenham in action as I was working in Epping and going to see midweek matches with the greatest striker, Jimmy Greaves (with Gilsean) so this is not a criticism. If I have come to the wrong site I apologise but I have a question which I hope that you will consider and pass it to the appropriate area for an answer. I am serious, I really would like an answer!

I watched Spurs and specifically a brilliant striker, Harry Kane. He spent most of his time creating chances(?). he’s a goal scorer!! What was he doing midfield? Very few goals are scored from this position. What a waste.

I then watched Man United who have recently acquired Ronaldo. Forget the penalties that he might been awarded, where was he? Certainly not in the midfield; no, he was in the box where he could score goals or create chances.

With due respect to managers and players, what a waste of talent and clearly if this continues Tottenham is unlikely to achieve any trophies in the way they did in the 60’s. First to do the double etcetera.

I have written this as a complaint and I would like to receive an answer as I am perplexed. I am sure I am not the only one.

Regards

Robert Sanderson
For me, it seems that Kane is playing deeper because of the lack of service by the Spurs Midfield and Backline. Ultimately he wants to be involved more and he is likely being proactive as the game progresses and the service is lacking. Spurs are in desperate need of a proper CAM and box to box CM who can provide that needed link. Dele in the CAM only works when he scores which has been lacking for years. Gio as the box-to-box CM solution is clearly going backwards. Kane playing deeper seems to be a reflection of the lack of spurs talent at those two important positions.

It is indeed horrendous. All the statistics show this. We are below relegation threatened teams in terms of our ability to create clear cut opportunities, and whilst a lazy, disinterested striker might not help with that, it's so clear we just have a total lack of ideas.

There is no identity at the club. If you lack creativity then you have to hammer home coaching with players, work with them to create patterns of play which are burned in to their brain and consistently effective.
I guess that was the point of starting GLC and Tanguy, but they’re both a little bit lightweight when it comes to a physical game (highlight being N’Dombele’s eyelash trauma - or whatever it was)…Eriksen at least hung around the oppo players a bit before giving up.

For me, it seems that Kane is playing deeper because of the lack of service by the Spurs Midfield and Backline. Ultimately he wants to be involved more and he is likely being proactive as the game progresses and the service is lacking. Spurs are in desperate need of a proper CAM and box to box CM who can provide that needed link. Dele in the CAM only works when he scores which has been lacking for years. Gio as the box-to-box CM solution is clearly going backwards. Kane playing deeper seems to be a reflection of the lack of spurs talent at those two important positions.
I think the idea has been to transition via the wings, but Lucas and Stevie being injured has put paid to that - too many times Kane has been invisible in the box, tho. I know Rooney used to end up coming deeper, too, but Kane’s skill is as a finisher and so he may be better served hanging around the box or thereabouts.

I suspect this distinction between City and Pep is probably important. It's clear that Pep wanted Kane. He made that clear, to the world and almost certainly to his front office. But when City's office came to make a deal, it's also pretty clear that they were never coming remotely close to our valuation. Why? From their position, Pep's time at City is likely quite limited--rumors about him moving on soon have been circulating for awhile now--and they're clearly not convinced that Kane is a good long-term investment, and that our valuation is wildly inflated.

It's early, but the returns so far suggest they were right.

I would say the returns have shown they were wrong.

Against us and Southampton they likely win with Kane in there converting the chances they created rather than Sterling/Torres.

The CL and PL are also as competitive as they have ever been. Highly unlikely they are beating Chelsea or even Liverpool or PSG/Bayern to those titles with a striker duo of Torres/Jesus.

I would say the returns have shown they were wrong.

Against us and Southampton they likely win with Kane in there converting the chances they created rather than Sterling/Torres.

The CL and PL are also as competitive as they have ever been. Highly unlikely they are beating Chelsea or even Liverpool or PSG/Bayern to those titles with a striker duo of Torres/Jesus.

Yeah, you're right--I was thinking about returns with respect to Kane, but on City's side, as you rightly point out, they are struggling to cash in chances.

This could turn out to be a non-deal that ends up hurting both teams.

To say there’s no evidence of something that was extensively reported in all outlets and said in public by Pep Guardiola is some 1984-ass use of language.

It’s not even worth bothering trying to figure out what axe you’re grinding here.

It wasn’t extensively reported. The reports were the opposite that City never came close to offering what Levy was looking for.

There is no axe grinding at all just pointing out reality.

I guess that was the point of starting GLC and Tanguy, but they’re both a little bit lightweight when it comes to a physical game (highlight being N’Dombele’s eyelash trauma - or whatever it was)…Eriksen at least hung around the oppo players a bit before giving up.

I don't even know if Lo Celso can be classed as a creative player. He has a grand total of 3 league assists since joining the club. Even Hojbjerg, who Mourinho basically had playing purely as a destroyer, managed 4 in the league last season.

The best I can say about Lo Celso is he tries. And sometimes he looks tidy on the ball.

:deledoubt:
How did you spin this onto Levy? Crikey.

Even the Levy haters must concede that Levy does what is best for the business, and it’s best for the business to have one of the alleged top-3 or 4 strikers in the world on the team (even if it is to save having to buy other players).

And, FWIW, I couldn’t care less if he ‘failed’ Kane - Kane’s current half-arsed efforts and his unapologetic behaviour since being a bellend just show someone really arrogant and - frankly - a little deluded. The most most most elite talk the talk but also do the walking (see Ronaldo, Jose, Messi etc).

Regarding negotiations, I don’t walk into a shop and expect the shopkeeper to name me a nice low price, particularly if it’s not even a shop, with nothing for sale.
If levy thought he was worth 160m then obviously he has to surround this player with other players at least half his value. Hes not going to do that. The only reason he woudl have wanted to keep kane soooo badly is if he felt our squad would achieve something with kane in it. It was brainless.

We all knew the squad isnt good enough to acheive anything significant. Why keep kane. We are in the rebuilding process, we dont need to keep 1 elite player. We needed more quality from other positions.

Hes fucked the teams chances, kanes chances and his own chances for more money. Its a very verybig fuckup.

He did win a lot of freekicks for us last year. Most hes ever won for us in a season . 60 compared previous years 44, 53, 41 etc.. Inversely proportional to the number of goals hes scoring. Doesnt have the legs to get away from players and score himself, so instead gets the foul.

He doesn't seem win those aerial duels anymore....

Maybe it's a percetion thing, but since the shit-storm surrounding the Lallana challenge at WHL seems even less inclined to engage in such scenarios.

Be interested to see how many of those FKs were with the ball at his feet and a result of him being a surrogate play-maker as opposed to during attempted aerial hold-up play.

(Where'd did you get the FK stats mate? I wouldn't know where to start.....)

Last edited:
If levy thought he was worth 160m then obviously he has to surround this player with other players at least half his value. Hes not going to do that. The only reason he woudl have wanted to keep kane soooo badly is if he felt our squad would achieve something with kane in it. It was brainless.

We all knew the squad isnt good enough to acheive anything significant. Why keep kane. We are in the rebuilding process, we dont need to keep 1 elite player. We needed more quality from other positions.

Hes fucked the teams chances, kanes chances and his own chances for more money. Its a very verybig fuckup.
He probably has, and he’s probably as aware as we all are of that, but I don’t think for one second it was done deliberately - a bit like the Jose debacle, or potentially wasting money on Tanguy or Janssen or Soldado - hindsight’s easy wisdom. I don’t like to blame people for the wrong things for the right reasons (although I will confront them about it) - just horses for courses, I guess.

Having said that, looking at Kane plodding about I’d rather we’d bought some exciting new talent and binned him off to some Mexican backwater…

He doesn't seem win those aerial duels anymore....

Maybe it's a percetion thing, but since the shit-storm surrounding the Lallana challenge at WHL seems even less inclined to engage in such scenarios.

Be interested to see how many of those FKs were with the ball at his feet and a result of him being a surrogate play-maker as opposed to during attempted hold-up play.

(Where'd did you get the FK stats mate? I wouldn't know where to start.....)
whoscored.com have good raw stats. Just dont buy into their ratings though.
They dont mention if the ball was at the feet or not, just how many times a player got fouled .

Back
Top Bottom