Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Too bad Sammy had to go and get himself banned. Would have loved to see how he would turn yesterday into a negative.

He'd have done the same as KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy . Play down Kane's performance and focus on a couple of missed chances rather than the fact he was doing everything he's previously claimed Kane can't do i.e dominate defenders physically, win 1v1's regularly, hold up the ball and bring others in to play, showed a fantastic turn of pace.

Their position has been blown apart, so now it's time to shift the goalposts and make it all about how Kane isn't clinical or whatever. So you'll see xG or big chances missed spammed over and over till inevitably some of those headers go in and players don't clear it off the line, so he'll be above xG too.

Dunno what they will turn to then. Probably just say he can't do it in big games because he didn't score against City or something.

Play down Kane's performance and focus on a couple of missed chances rather than the fact he was doing everything he's previously claimed Kane can't do i.e dominate defenders physically, win 1v1's regularly, hold up the ball and bring others in to play, showed a fantastic turn of pace.
He did it 1 game against a battered/shit Leicester team. Honestly, they were atrocious and looked lethargic yesterday.

He looked pretty good against Newcastle earlier this season too, putting in a similar performance. And I remember how everyone thought he was back and Sammy/Ndom this, Sammy/Ndom that.

Want to bet on whether he can do it this weekend against Chelsea or do it in the league with any sort of consistency? Hope he does but I highly doubt it.

Their position has been blown apart, so now it's time to shift the goalposts
Shift the goalposts? The goalpost at the beginning of the season was that he was a flat track bully and struggles to turn up against good teams with the exception of the odd game here and there. An 8/10 performance against Leicester doesn't change that.

Play down Kane's performance and focus on a couple of missed chances
10 shots, 1 goal, 3 big chances missed. Not good for any striker mate.

I rate him very highly and think he is a better all-round player than he gets credit for.
That said, i have been critical of him since the summer, both his attitude and performances, but cant see (apart from a couple of shots) how you can fault him last night.

10 shots
1 goal
3 big chances missed

What striker wouldn't be able to score on 10 shots and 3-4 big chances?

Kane has 10 big chances missed on 4 non pen goals this season. He's among the leaders in big chances missed. It's not like a new problem/issue he's had this season.

So he's human then, and not a machine.

10 shots
1 goal
3 big chances missed

What striker wouldn't be able to score on 10 shots and 3-4 big chances?

Kane has 10 big chances missed on 4 non pen goals this season. He's among the leaders in big chances missed. It's not like a new problem/issue he's had this season.
Depends how you define "big chances". I see understat used regularly here to make a point, so here's Kane's graphic from yesterday.

10 shots. He scored with a 0.6 xG and missed with (in order) 0.43, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07, 0.07, 0.05, 0.02, 0.02 and 0.01. Not sure what constitutes a "big chance, but if you claim he missed 3 of them, then you're referring to chances understat rated 0.43, 0.09 and 0.08.

gJmFsp1.png

As for Nicol, you cherry picked his opinions, latching onto his criticism, but conveniently leaving out the fact he stated Kane was "world class" last year.

So he's human then, and not a machine.
Of course. But after yesterday, you have some delusional fans saying that he's back to being 'prime Kane' or 'better than Lewandowski.' He's far from being prime Kane. A prime 2016/17 Kane would have had a hattrick at half time and put the game away.

I'm not even saying he didn't have a good game yesterday overall - he had a good all around game. But as our striker and our primary target up front, he needs to be more clinical for us to have a chance to make top 4. Every chance/goal is going to matter from here on out. Scoring once on 10 shots and 3-4 big chances isn't something to be particularly happy about.

Depends how you define "big chances". I see understat used regularly here to make a point, so here's Kane's graphic from yesterday.

10 shots. He scored with a 0.6 xG and missed with (in order) 0.43, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07, 0.07, 0.05, 0.02, 0.02 and 0.01. Not sure what constitutes a "big chance, but if you claim he missed 3 of them, then you're referring to chances understat rated 0.43, 0.09 and 0.08.

gJmFsp1.png

As for Nicol, you cherry picked his opinions, latching onto his criticism, but conveniently leaving out the fact he stated Kane was "world class" last year.
I'm using the official premier league website. His big chances missed went up by 2 or 3 (can't exactly remember) from our last game.

He's got 10 big chances missed on just 4 non pen goals this season.

He did it 1 game against a battered/shit Leicester team. Honestly, they were atrocious and looked lethargic yesterday.

He looked pretty good against Newcastle earlier this season too, putting in a similar performance. And I remember how everyone thought he was back and Sammy/Ndom this, Sammy/Ndom that.

Want to bet on whether he can do it this weekend against Chelsea or do it in the league with any sort of consistency? Hope he does but I highly doubt it.

Shift the goalposts? The goalpost at the beginning of the season was that he was a flat track bully and struggles to turn up against good teams with the exception of the odd game here and there. An 8/10 performance against Leicester doesn't change that.

10 shots, 1 goal, 3 big chances missed. Not good for any striker mate.

You realise he's been consistently good in the league of late? Right? RIGHT?

He scored vs Liverpool, Palace, Southampton and now Leicester. That's goals in 4 out of 5 of his last league games. He also scored another vs Southampton that was bizarrely disallowed, and it was a fucking quality goal to boot.

Seriously, this isn't a one off game, I've been saying he's been getting back to his best for a good while. It's been fucking obvious. Even vs Watford where he wasn't at his best, he was still dangerous and our most influential attacker. It's a world away from how he looked under Nuno or in Conte's first few games.

And you can quote missed chances all you like, when a striker is playing with opposition defenders like that and making the whole team tick, I couldn't care less. He was at the heart of everything good we did vs Leicester, it was a dominant performance.

I'm not even saying he didn't have a good game yesterday overall - he had a good all around game
He had an excellent game yesterday. He was an absolute boss. It was the evolved Kane we saw at the start of last season but with more shiny teeth and smiles. 1 goal, 1 assist, countless fantastic passes. I loved watching him.

You realise he's been consistently good in the league of late? Right? RIGHT?

He scored vs Liverpool, Palace, Southampton and now Leicester. That's goals in 4 out of 5 of his last league games. He also scored another vs Southampton that was bizarrely disallowed, and it was a fucking quality goal to boot.
His performances since December have been mostly 6-7s. Better than he was earlier this season but I wouldn’t call that good by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly not world class or elite.

His recent performances against Chelsea were average/subpar. Maybe a combined 4.5 between both games.

Again, let’s see if he can have another 8/10 performance against Chelsea this weekend. Remember, he had a good performance against Newcastle too and people were getting excited and worked up after it.

Last edited:
He had an excellent game yesterday. He was an absolute boss. It was the evolved Kane we saw at the start of last season but with more shiny teeth and smiles. 1 goal, 1 assist, countless fantastic passes. I loved watching him.
Yup I’m not denying that. But he was very wasteful.

Let’s see if he can do it consistently against teams that aren’t a battered/injured Leicester. Starting with this weekend against Chelsea

I think us fans take him for granted to be honest. Also, this weird idea that strikers should score every chance...I don't understand it. I am sick of hearing about his finishing from morons who must not understand football. Maybe it is because Kane has been so good that they think strikers are all like him in his pomp. Well, they are not.

Compared to Kane most strikers are shite. The bog standard striker is Rondon. Watch Jiminez, actually watch him. Watch Rashford give the ball away. Even watch Lukaku miss one-on-one after one-on-one.

We are lucky to have Kane.

Yeah but we would be even more lucky if we had Raul Jimenez though. You know, that Wolves striker that has never scored 20 league goals in a season once.

Yeah but we would be even more lucky if we had Raul Jimenez though. You know, that Wolves striker that has never scored 20 goals in a season once.
Actually he’s having just as poor a season as Kane.

He's about equal to Kane this season taken as a whole but if he were on Spurs rather than Wolves he'd be having a much better goal/assist tally.

Jiminez
4 goals
2 assists
11% shot conversion
5 big chances missed
-0.5 goals under xG

Kane
5 goals
2 assists
8% shot conversion
10 big chances missed
-3.2 goals under xG