Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm, but you don’t press as one man. You press as a team and we are not doing that collectively.

My point, exactly.

Our whole game was built on the front man starting the press, as it's infectious and sets the standard for the rest of the team.

Harry hasn't done so forever and it has been hugely detrimental to our overall game.

His goals are gold, but this is a very real issue that has to be addressed by poch. He's burying his head in the sand.

I would play him at #10 sometimes and let Sonny set the tone for the team with a proper press to spark the others.

My point, exactly.

Our whole game was built on the front man starting the press, as it's infectious and sets the standard for the rest of the team.

Harry hasn't done so forever and it has been hugely detrimental to our overall game.

His goals are gold, but this is a very real issue that has to be addressed by poch. He's burying his head in the sand.

I would play him at #10 sometimes and let Sonny set the tone for the team with a proper press.

Meme status: imminent.

"Don't think... FEEL." - Bruce Lee.

What a captains performance.
When the shit gets really sticky, you need a pair of scissors rather than paper to sort it out.
Hugo brought single ply paper. Harry was like one of those self cleaning Japanese toilets.

Great that Hugo pulled off some stunning saves after - but perhaps his comments about not having the mentality of Liverpool or City to challenge for the title, were reflective comments about himself.

Fantastic goal from Kane. So happy with him today. Makes me even more angry at the Spurs fans that want him dropped, or want to slate him when the going gets a little tough.

Give him the arm band. Everything about him on and off the field is captain stuff for me.
Class.

And the same as Spurs, England fall at the last hurdle.

Whereas Hugo is not only captain of France but also won the World Cup with them, did France drop a bollock by having a Goalkeeper as captain ?

Hugo got away with a catastrophic blunder on footballs biggest stage - the world cup final.

He was fortunate his team mates allowed that to be glossed over and not become possibly a career crippling error to make.

Just fucking stop with the Cruyff turns ffs

Kane's biggest problem for me is his constant need to be involved. No doubt his passing is fantastic, his hold up play is excellent, but I want to see him do what he does best. Score goals as our main attacker.

I was going to say you don't score goals from your own half.....but then, this is Harry Kane we're talking about!

This guy is a super star and he produces for us. We need to have a team around him that can take advantage of his talent and that he can help to improve as well. This requires teammates that play hard all of the time and play as a team.

I always thought Hugo's drink incident was a good time to give Kane the armband. Although I suppose it is a bit kicking a man when he's down.

He should have thought about that before having the drink before a game and getting into the driving seat

Zero sympathy with drunken drivers

My point, exactly.

I would play him at #10 sometimes and let Sonny set the tone for the team with a proper press to spark the others.

I don’t know what to make of your logic, but that is not how the press works. This is a team decision, not a follow the leader tactic. Against Palace, the only game we truly pressed this season, the whole team was on the gas pedal and were swarming the ball in their final third. Kane, Son, Winks, everyone. The press isn’t started by one person running at the keeper. That is a tactic to get the keeper or defender to launch the ball so we can win the second ball.

Kane's biggest problem for me is his constant need to be involved. No doubt his passing is fantastic, his hold up play is excellent, but I want to see him do what he does best. Score goals as our main attacker.

Isn't he effectively just bringing others into play?

....Hold-up and ball winning allowing others to run beyond to either shoot or return the ball to him further up the field?

I don’t know what to make of your logic, but that is not how the press works. This is a team decision, not a follow the leader tactic. Against Palace, the only game we truly pressed this season, the whole team was on the gas pedal and were swarming the ball in their final third. Kane, Son, Winks, everyone. The press isn’t started by one person running at the keeper. That is a tactic to get the keeper or defender to launch the ball so we can win the second ball.
It's exactly how it's worked with Poch/us.

The importance of the front man setting the tone and sustaining intensity and the effect that has on the rest of the team and the overall effectiveness of the press is not a new concept.

It used to be discussed frequently between the fans as it was so important.

I remember discussing it - not on here - on many occasions since poch's been here.

It's only since poch has been pissing about with 101 shapes that we've seemed to have lost our appreciation of its importance.

It doesn't require the front man to hard press forthe rest of the team to, it's not a physical rule, but the team can be adversely effected by the tone of the front man.

Seen it many times since poch's been here.

Anyway, watched half of the first half of CP game again - Harry's pressing is adequate (in context) and he was sometimes dropping off and letting others press by him (which would seem to support my suggestion of using him at #10 sometimes).

Will watch the whole game again tomorrow to see how the dynamic changed in the second half.

Isn't he effectively just bringing others into play?

....Hold-up and ball winning allowing others to run beyond to either shoot or return the ball to him further up the field?
Yes.

And it's also exactly why playing him at #10 sometimes is a good idea, considering he doesn't like hard pressing anymore.

It takes that pressure off him and he can be clever and use the energy of those around him more and not blunt the team's vibe by jogging towards defenders in our first attempt to win the ball back from them.

When you consider that he’s clearly not 100% firing, it’s phenomenal. 10/10 for club and country.

When he was first warring the armband I felt that he lead by example but wasn’t really a leader. I take it back. This man should have the captaincy.

Also, I do agree that he gets too involved at times, though.

Back
Top Bottom