Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He had a couple of good chances to score today and missed them but Harry wasn't the issue at today so I don't get why people are talking about him like he's the problem. There are so many other issues/concerns we should be focused on.
A talismanic striker who’s meant to be one of the best in the world missing chances is an issue. He’s not the only issue, I accept that. He’s not the biggest issue either, but his form and the dip from the heights he was formerly at are an issue. Goals change the course of matches. That’s an inexperienced Chelsea team. If we’d got that equaliser against the run of play after their early dominance, who knows how they would have reacted. Could have been a very different outcome.

How much service did Abraham? Kane had one great chance. Abraham didn't. But at the other aspects of CF play Abraham totally outclassed Kane.

Abraham had much better service. He won more aerial duels than anyone else and no one had more shots, which were all in the box.

When was the last time Kane genuinely bullied a defence all game? I've not seen him do it for 2 seasons. Last time he played really well in a big game? He is playing within himself. And he shouldn't be our captain. Sadly we have no leaders anywhere, and I dont think we have since the likes of parker, dawson and king. If we can't be motivated in games vs the fucking chavs then we never will be.

I’d be interested to see how far each ran today. Abraham was always closing down defenders. Hardly noticed Harry was playing.

Harry was fed the occasional long ball vs 3 CBs and eventually resulted to dropping deep and wide in search of forcing an influence instead. Criticise him for the latter if you will (should one assume that this is contrary to managerial instruction, that is), but not his lack of impact against he former.

By contrast, Abraham had acres of space to exploit between the lines and enjoyed lots of space to run into. At the same time he was pretty piss in terms of getting a decent shot off.

Harry was fed the occasional long ball vs 3 CBs and eventually resulted to dropping deep and wide in search of forcing an influence instead. Criticise him for the latter if you will (should one assume that this is contrary to managerial instruction, that is), but not his lack of impact against he former.

By contrast, Abraham had acres of space to exploit between the lines and enjoyed lots of space to run into. At the same time he was pretty piss in terms of getting a decent shot off.
I’d put an electric collar on him that shocks him when he goes wide of the box. Don’t like seeing him having to go out wide to influence. But he’s doing what he has to do if he can’t get any joy in the middle.

However, I wasn’t seeing much chasing of defenders as I normally do. My post was less about the attacking prowess of each and more about the effort.

I’d put an electric collar on him that shocks him when he goes wide of the box. Don’t like seeing him having to go out wide to influence. But he’s doing what he has to do if he can’t get any joy in the middle.

Frustrates me too, especially when there's no-one else eager to occupy the central areas to 'cover' him.

However, I wasn’t seeing much chasing of defenders as I normally do. My post was less about the attacking prowess of each and more about the effort.

Was he effective, not particularly, but I don't doubt his effort....

(As for chasing defenders, by that I assume you mean pressing them as they try to play out? ....Early doors the comms noted that his attempts to press weren't being followed up on by those behind him and that he kept on looking round as if to say "where are you?" - I guess in that scenario you end up thinking your energy is best preserved for other aspects of the game... i.e. the aforementioned positional roaming.)

Kane is a victim of his own success. We're a fan base that loved Soldado despite being woeful during his time here yet Kane goes one or two games without scoring or setting someone up and all of a sudden he doesn't care, he doesn't have enough competition, he's not trying etc.

Kane plays in front of Son, Dele, Lucas and Eriksen, all players who seem to either be world class or championship level and nothing much in-between. What is he supposed to do?

Kane is a victim of his own success. We're a fan base that loved Soldado despite being woeful during his time here yet Kane goes one or two games without scoring or setting someone up and all of a sudden he doesn't care, he doesn't have enough competition, he's not trying etc.

Kane plays in front of Son, Dele, Lucas and Eriksen, all players who seem to either be world class or championship level and nothing much in-between. What is he supposed to do?

Kane is hardly covering himself in glory.

Games like yesterday where he was comfortably marshalled are the new norm with Kane. He barely touches the ball - especially in big games, he barely makes it a physical contest, he barely has a sight of goal. There's a stat going around that in the last eighteen games against top six opposition in all competitions he has scored just three times from open play.

Then factor in how until the Burnley game two weeks ago, he went nearly an entire year without a goal from outside the penalty box.

Then factor in how he has scored eight hat-tricks in the Premier League which puts him just three behind Alan Shearer's record of eleven ... but the last hat-trick Kane has scored for the club came two years ago almost to the day. At that time in 2017 when he also beat Shearer's record for most league goals in a calendar year you'd have backed him to have the hat-trick record by now.

It's not hyperbole any more to suggest that we have already seen the best of Kane. He will still be a great goalscorer but the days when he was considered the best striker in Europe are a long time ago. The best striker in Europe version of Kane used to create his own chances, dominate defenders, physically bully them, had a sharp turn, and had the skill and footballing intelligence to run the show. This version of Kane is more of a goalhanger totally dependent on others to set him up. He's quite a boring player to watch these days in my opinion whereas in that period 2015-18 he was a force of nature worth paying just to watch him alone.

Games like yesterday where he was comfortably marshalled are the new norm with Kane. He barely touches the ball - especially in big games, he barely makes it a physical contest, he barely has a sight of goal. There's a stat going around that in the last eighteen games against top six opposition in all competitions he has scored just three times from open play.

Then factor in how until the Burnley game two weeks ago, he went nearly an entire year without a goal from outside the penalty box.

Then factor in how he has scored eight hat-tricks in the Premier League which puts him just three behind Alan Shearer's record of eleven ... but the last hat-trick Kane has scored for the club came two years ago almost to the day. At that time in 2017 when he also beat Shearer's record for most league goals in a calendar year you'd have backed him to have the hat-trick record by now.

It's not hyperbole any more to suggest that we have already seen the best of Kane. He will still be a great goalscorer but the days when he was considered the best striker in Europe are a long time ago. The best striker in Europe version of Kane used to create his own chances, dominate defenders, physically bully them, had a sharp turn, and had the skill and footballing intelligence to run the show. This version of Kane is more of a goalhanger totally dependent on others to set him up. He's quite a boring player to watch these days in my opinion whereas in that period 2015-18 he was a force of nature worth paying just to watch him alone.
Anyone who doubts the injuries have lessened what he was is not watching him
And I say this as someone who loves him.

He's lost a step or two and some explosiveness from his legs. It started from being primarily a physical issue and now it's sort have morphed into a mental issue as well. But at the moment, he's not in the top 10 when it comes to list of concerns for this club - far from it. He's still one of the best strikers in the league and his output is still there. I think physically - unless he starts doing some major roids/PEDs, this is the new normal for him and the team will need to adjust.

When was the last time Kane genuinely bullied a defence all game? I've not seen him do it for 2 seasons. Last time he played really well in a big game? He is playing within himself. And he shouldn't be our captain. Sadly we have no leaders anywhere, and I dont think we have since the likes of parker, dawson and king. If we can't be motivated in games vs the fucking chavs then we never will be.

I reckon the 4-1 win over Liverpool at Wembley just over two years ago, in October 2017 was the last time Harry terrorised and bullied the defence of one of the big teams.

I don't give a sh!t how good he is. He needs competition.

Pochettino never did it and ultimately fell just short.

I hope and believe Mourinho will care less about Kane and more about the team.

We NEED someone to push him even further, to turn to if needed and to bring him off for.

It's hurting us nearly as much as our central midfield.

I don't give a sh!t how good he is. He needs competition.

Pochettino never did it and ultimately fell just short.

I hope and believe Mourinho will care less about Kane and more about the team.

We NEED someone to push him even further, to turn to if needed and to bring him off for.

It's hurting us nearly as much as our central midfield.

Agreed.

Letting Llorente go without replacing him ranks alongside not replacing Dembele as one of the mysteries of the universe. A 17 year old is not a PL understudy.

Who knows what will happen if Kane picks up another injury. Our tactical change to play out long from the back requires us to have a target and Son, Dele, Lucas are not it.

Back
Top Bottom