Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep, I would say I’m continually shocked by people under estimating him, his worth to us and his ability, but I’m not, there’s so many people who don’t have a clue.

I always say if people don’t rate Harry Kane then they don’t really know the sport and it’s utterly pointless discussing it with them. He’s one of the best English strikers every with a goal scoring per game record similar for England as jimmy greaves and in the PL similar to Aguero. It’s utterly insane people don’t rate him and want to sell him. Insane.
I try my best to ignore anyone who says Kane is shit/overrated/whatever but as troll bait goes, it's fucking catnip to me. He's my all-time favourite player, yet I'm completely honest about the bias that can create (unfortunately it doesn't go without saying that most people declare their biases and try to correct for them -- quite the opposite). I can't help myself a lot of the time, even in YouTube comments (where you've lost the argument as soon as you join it).

It's been my experience that people who don't rate Kane usually fall into one or more of three categories: (a) they're doing it for the contrarianism/troll value and/or have anti-Kane biases (e.g. anti-England types), (b) they don't watch many or any Spurs or England games, (c) they don't know much about football.

(a), usually combined with (b), is very common outside of Spurs communities, since a lot of people don't support/like Spurs and actively dislike England. And a lot of people judge Kane on the fact that he never looks (or sounds) like the archetypal flashy superstar striker on the pitch or off of it.

Naturally, (c) is by far the most common among Spurs supporters. A lot of these ones don't, for example, get that Kane creates tons of space for the other attackers even when he doesn't touch the ball at any point during a move, giving the impression of him doing/achieving very little when he actually is.

ETA: As Pzabbythethird correctly identifies above, the younger generation also has a bad habit of getting their "knowledge" of players and/or clubs outside their own entirely from video games. It falls under (b) and probably (c) and maybe even (a). In many ways, the "knowledge" those kids have is worse than no knowledge at all. At least you can't be wrong about what you recognise that you don't know.

I think the average fan makes their decision on how good a player is based on how talented and dominate the player is on fifa.

Kane is rates great, but lacks pace, so people hate playing with him. Naturally he must be shit then
People's memories are also incredibly short and a player is only as good as his previous game.

Have we declined because Kane has declined?

Or is more realistic to assume Kane has declined because we as a team have?

Good question. I'll claim none of our players have bettered themselves over the last 12 months (maybe except for Dier).

My feeling about Kane is he's losing pace and as a consequence he's no getting on the end of as many chances as he used to. I'm also lacking aggressive runs from him into the box. If I'm to make anything of those stats, it's not beneficial for him doing that much defensive work, and his touches on the ball are moving further and further away from goal.

Good question. I'll claim none of our players have bettered themselves over the last 12 months (maybe except for Dier).

My feeling about Kane is he's losing pace and as a consequence he's no getting on the end of as many chances as he used to. I'm also lacking aggressive runs from him into the box. If I'm to make anything of those stats, it's not beneficial for him doing that much defensive work, and his touches on the ball are moving further and further away from goal.

The reason he's not getting on the end of as many chances is because of the last thing you mention. He's moving further away from goal.

I assume that's because of either instruction or he feels there isn't much creativity behind him so he takes charge.

What a fucking cunt move from Berba here

Berbatov urges Man Utd target Kane to follow his Spurs example
Date published: Tuesday 7th April 2020 2:23

Dimitar Berbatov has urged Tottenham striker Harry Kane to follow his path and join Manchester United.

Kane has been linked with a move away from Spurs in the hope of a greater chance of major honours elsewhere.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have both previously been linked, but United are thought to be his most likely suitors

And former Spurs striker Berbatov – who swapped White Hart Lane for Old Trafford in 2008 – claims Kane should seriously consider making the same move.

“I’ve seen some comments from Harry Kane, saying he loves Spurs but if they aren’t going to be producing trophies then maybe it is time to leave. He knows all that, of course he’s thinking about it, now even more than before,” he told Betfair.com.

“I think once it returns, maybe football will change in the amount of money that is spent, in the way players are bought and sold.

“If you are Kane in this situation and Daniel Levy is your chairman, he isn’t going to sell you cheap, he is going to ask for what is fair, which in the case of Kane is a lot of money.

“I see a lot of similarities in the situation I went through and what is happening with Kane at the minute.

“There is a strong connection between Spurs and Manchester United, Teddy Sherringham was at Tottenham then went to Old Trafford, I was a Spurs striker and went to United and now Kane, who’s also a striker, is being linked with a move there.

“I feel that it’s also a similar time in his career that I was at, you start to think if you’re on the right path and you think about winning things.

“If you are one of the lucky ones like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes or Gary Neville where you spend your whole life at one great club then you don’t have to ask yourselves those questions, you just want to work hard and prove yourself everyday.

“When I left Spurs, even though I had won a trophy with the club it was still a difficult decision to make.

“I was following my own path and I knew that people wouldn’t be happy, but I had to do it, I come from a small country and when one of the biggest clubs in the world came in for me, it was my dream.”

Yep, I would say I’m continually shocked by people under estimating him, his worth to us and his ability, but I’m not, there’s so many people who don’t have a clue.

I always say if people don’t rate Harry Kane then they don’t really know the sport and it’s utterly pointless discussing it with them. He’s one of the best English strikers every with a goal scoring per game record similar for England as jimmy greaves and in the PL similar to Aguero. It’s utterly insane people don’t rate him and want to sell him. Insane.

Agree completely. The only caveat I would add are injuries. Hope he can recover his best once he's back.

What a fucking cunt move from Berba here

Berbatov urges Man Utd target Kane to follow his Spurs example
Date published: Tuesday 7th April 2020 2:23

Dimitar Berbatov has urged Tottenham striker Harry Kane to follow his path and join Manchester United.

Kane has been linked with a move away from Spurs in the hope of a greater chance of major honours elsewhere.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have both previously been linked, but United are thought to be his most likely suitors

And former Spurs striker Berbatov – who swapped White Hart Lane for Old Trafford in 2008 – claims Kane should seriously consider making the same move.

“I’ve seen some comments from Harry Kane, saying he loves Spurs but if they aren’t going to be producing trophies then maybe it is time to leave. He knows all that, of course he’s thinking about it, now even more than before,” he told Betfair.com.

“I think once it returns, maybe football will change in the amount of money that is spent, in the way players are bought and sold.

“If you are Kane in this situation and Daniel Levy is your chairman, he isn’t going to sell you cheap, he is going to ask for what is fair, which in the case of Kane is a lot of money.

“I see a lot of similarities in the situation I went through and what is happening with Kane at the minute.

“There is a strong connection between Spurs and Manchester United, Teddy Sherringham was at Tottenham then went to Old Trafford, I was a Spurs striker and went to United and now Kane, who’s also a striker, is being linked with a move there.

“I feel that it’s also a similar time in his career that I was at, you start to think if you’re on the right path and you think about winning things.

“If you are one of the lucky ones like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes or Gary Neville where you spend your whole life at one great club then you don’t have to ask yourselves those questions, you just want to work hard and prove yourself everyday.

“When I left Spurs, even though I had won a trophy with the club it was still a difficult decision to make.

“I was following my own path and I knew that people wouldn’t be happy, but I had to do it, I come from a small country and when one of the biggest clubs in the world came in for me, it was my dream.”

just on this as well it really feeds into the narrative of "United were at the top for a while, thus it should be forever."

It absolutely infuriates me that because their the richest club with the most fans (debatable) when teams like us/Leicester surpass them, the media narrative doesn't change from "Now these are the teams who are good" it becomes "which Leicester/Spurs players should United buy to take them back to the top. WHERE THEY BELONG as it should be forever"

really pisses me off. it's so bad for the Sport. when we're talking PL & CL since Fergie left United have gotten nowhere near either, in fact we've been runner up in both. when we're talked about like we're watford or Everton etc it drives me fucking insane.

I really hate this sport sometimes.

I try my best to ignore anyone who says Kane is shit/overrated/whatever but as troll bait goes, it's fucking catnip to me. He's my all-time favourite player, yet I'm completely honest about the bias that can create (unfortunately it doesn't go without saying that most people declare their biases and try to correct for them -- quite the opposite). I can't help myself a lot of the time, even in YouTube comments (where you've lost the argument as soon as you join it).

It's been my experience that people who don't rate Kane usually fall into one or more of three categories: (a) they're doing it for the contrarianism/troll value and/or have anti-Kane biases (e.g. anti-England types), (b) they don't watch many or any Spurs or England games, (c) they don't know much about football.

(a), usually combined with (b), is very common outside of Spurs communities, since a lot of people don't support/like Spurs and actively dislike England. And a lot of people judge Kane on the fact that he never looks (or sounds) like the archetypal flashy superstar striker on the pitch or off of it.

Naturally, (c) is by far the most common among Spurs supporters. A lot of these ones don't, for example, get that Kane creates tons of space for the other attackers even when he doesn't touch the ball at any point during a move, giving the impression of him doing/achieving very little when he actually is.

ETA: As Pzabbythethird correctly identifies above, the younger generation also has a bad habit of getting their "knowledge" of players and/or clubs outside their own entirely from video games. It falls under (b) and probably (c) and maybe even (a). In many ways, the "knowledge" those kids have is worse than no knowledge at all. At least you can't be wrong about what you recognise that you don't know.

I don't think anyone says Kane isn't quality - it's just that he's not as good as a lot of Spurs fan think anymore.
He hasn't even been the best player on the squad yet people act as if he's still the best striker in the world.
Whether it be injuries or other issues, he's just not as good as he once was and you've got to be blind to think that he hasn't regressed.

The reason he's not getting on the end of as many chances is because of the last thing you mention. He's moving further away from goal.

I assume that's because of either instruction or he feels there isn't much creativity behind him so he takes charge.

His game isn't set up to "take charge" and play deeper. He lacks pace the versatility to play deeper.

just on this as well it really feeds into the narrative of "United were at the top for a while, thus it should be forever."

It absolutely infuriates me that because their the richest club with the most fans (debatable) when teams like us/Leicester surpass them, the media narrative doesn't change from "Now these are the teams who are good" it becomes "which Leicester/Spurs players should United buy to take them back to the top. WHERE THEY BELONG as it should be forever"

really pisses me off. it's so bad for the Sport. when we're talking PL & CL since Fergie left United have gotten nowhere near either, in fact we've been runner up in both. when we're talked about like we're watford or Everton etc it drives me fucking insane.

But a betting man would put money on utd retuning to successful winning of trophies rather than us winning anything during the same time period.

The great thing is those that don't rate Kane are and will remain virgins and thus will be extinct within a generation....

Media, powers that be just gunning for Man U to be back Top dogs. They dwarf every other club in terms of their worldwide supporter base and capacity to generate Revenue.

I’ve found it highly amusing these last few months the narrative that Harry will be off next season to a side that can challenge for and win the League and European Cup. Then in the next breath, you hear that Man U are favourites to sign him. They’ve been nowhere for the last 7 seasons now since Sir Alex departed and they’re years away from the top table, all the more so with Solskjaer at the helm.

Good post but I would ask you if, in your mind, it's possible to rate Harry and see the potential long-term benefits to the club of a potential transfer. Has there not been any meritorious point made in favor of a Hexit in your estimation? And beyond that point who's the more likely to be confounded in their assessment of the player, the aforementioned seer of both sides or the 'fan' of a player?

Would you say that Kane is our most important player, if not, who is?

Last 2 years? That’s a no brainer.

2019 Spurs POY - Son
2019 B’allon Dor Short List - Son, Lloris
2019 -London Footballer of the Year - Son

As far as 2020 awards? Son is probably going to be the Spurs POY again and probably be the only Spurs player on the B’allon Dor short list as well.

I’d put Sissoko second and Kane third. Lo Celso would be ahead of both if he had been on the squad last year and played like he did this year.

Again, only speaking in terms of a players importance throughout the past 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom