Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I recently saw all of All Or Nothing back-to-back and scribbled some notes on Kane's appearances while watching. This is more or less a direct transcription of the stuff I wrote down so it's very disjointed. Sorry for the long-post but I think it'll be interesting, particularly to anyone who hasn't watched or doesn't want to watch the series for whatever reason:

His relationship with Jose is so good that they discuss which of them should give the final team talk. It was intriguing to see and hear his speeches in action, especially after we learnt of his famous Ajax intervention. He carries out many of the duties of a captain without prompting and regardless of Hugo's presence (which is not to downplay Hugo, whose mastery of motivational speaking in English was impressive). When the ball boy from the Olympiakos match came in for a meal, Kane was the one to take him around and introduce him to the other players. And it appeared to be quite natural and expected that he would be the one to do it.

Interesting that Kane spoke up very publicly and seemingly without invitation at one of the formal conferences (not sure what they're actually called, but I'm referring to the meetings where they're dressed regularly and all sitting in a conference type room facing the front board) to express his frustration at perceived laziness and sub-par performances throughout the team. Without throwing anyone in particular under the bus, he seemingly chewed out basically everyone in front of the whole squad.

He obviously demands a lot from everyone else and himself. But he's emotionally mature as well. I assume that if the producers had footage of him throwing a tantrum, they would've used it, as they did with other players. But they didn't. Seems like the controlled passion you see from him on the pitch is the same thing you get behind the scenes.

Everything we've heard about his training and professionalism was confirmed and then some. For example, José uses Kane as the benchmark for an ideal trainer when talking about Dele. Although Kane's role as a "leader by example" was also confirmed, it seems he has a very vocal position in talking to the team. He seems to have a good or very good relationship with literally everyone in and around the club. His relationship with Son seems genuinely affectionate in quasi-private as it does in public.

Nothing about his demeanour during or after games seems to suggest that he's jealous or upset when his teammates do well or score even when he doesn't. The idea of selfishness is further diminished. He seems to care about the results and the team more than his records.

Kane was considered by Jose to be the key man to get on side as soon as possible (presumably in terms of both staying at the club and in reaching the rest of the squad). He chose Kane as the first player to have a broad base 1-to-1 conversation with and did it immediately (basically his first and second days).

It was fascinating to hear a player actually say the words (paraphrased) "in terms of talent, we're better than them". You logically know that they do say things like that but you'd never hear it in one of today's sanitised, PR-managed media interviews. Speaking of which, he doesn't half swear a lot in private!

I've always thought this way but the series underlined it: I don't think it can be argued that when Kane is playing poorly by his standards, it's down to laziness, lack of interest or complacency. I think it's more likely to be lack of match fitness, stamina management per instructions, or just rubbing up against his realistic physical limits after several injuries. This is especially applicable this year because as we now know, Kane's last injury could've been a career-ender. It hammers home that we're really just lucky to be able to see him still playing world class football at an elite level, and should be grateful for that. He's been extremely unlucky with injuries thus far and they've probably, historically, been poorly managed IMO. Kane is my personal #1 striker in the world[1] and if he had current Kane's technical ability with younger Kane's fitness, agility and stamina, I reckon my opinion would be shared almost universally.

Jose sees Kane's value even in games where most people would say he performed poorly (mostly because he didn't score). And he talks about his workrate despite not having that obvious eye-catching flash of someone like Moura who has the energy to run all over the pitch chasing the ball. That intensity looks good and subconsciously biases viewers into believing the players are "doing something" (to quote the common refrain: "just do something, move around a bit!") even if the running is entirely ineffectual and possibly deleterious to their future performances.

Kane had been playing with a low-grade injury for an unspecified but lengthy period of time even before the Southampton injury, which pretty much confirms the theories that his injuries had/have taken a cumulative and long-term toll on him (but maybe, hopefully, not entirely permanent). It's something special that he can play at the level he is. It's not quite on the level of Andy Murray winning 250/500s with a metal hip (an unrivalled feat in tennis; part of an ongoing comeback) but it's impressive.

Most fascinating of all to me was learning about the trilateral friction between the players, medical staff and coaching staff. It seems like the medical staff are under immense pressure from all sides to greenlight players to play irrespective of their actual readiness. When the doctors talked about the need for bone scans, Jose didn't want them done, or wanted their results ignored regardless. The medical guys had to actively push against management merely to get the players appropriate diagnoses, treatment and recovery time. It's strongly implied, via vague talk of a hypothetical CL final, that Kane was indeed rushed back for the final. But knowing what we now know, we can surmise that it was probably not solely Kane pushing for his return.

It's clear that the players are desperate to be playing and are equally willing to ignore injuries to do so, but that's to be expected to some degree. On the management side, it's kinda concerning. I got the distinct impression that they would neglect their duty of care to the players if not pushed by the medical staff. And with that level of pressure applied to you from both your patients and your boss - both telling you not to do your job properly - you have to imagine that a lot of things fall through the cracks or get conveniently passed over.

[1] Yes, better than Lewa. I have no problem with anyone who thinks otherwise but to me, Lewa is just a great player in possibly the world's best team. His team wins games by 8 goals and he only scores one of them and it's a penalty or something. Gnabry might actually be a better finisher than Lewa, or maybe the team makes Gnabry look world class, but that's kind of my point. G/xG ratio strongly supports my point that Lewa scores a lot because he gets a ton of opportunities rather than because he's clinical. Lewa's G/xG over the last six seasons is garbage compared to Kane's overall and much less consistent year-by-year too. Kane has never underperformed expectation in his entire senior career, whereas Lewa has done so multiple times over the same period, despite already being established, unlike Kane, at the beginning.

Last edited:
Dan KP: Southgate almost spiky but smiling: "Jose needs to make sure in April and May he looks after Harry Kane for us. Because there will be 55m people relying on that. It works both ways."

Southgate continued: "With Jose I've had a pretty good relationship for a while. He has never, ever put us under pressure not to pick a player. He has always accepted that...his players are going to go."

Southgate says he doesn't intent to start anyone in all three of the matches but can't rule out some players featuring against Wales, Belgium and Denmark.

:mourfacepalm:

1 start each for Kane, C'Lewin & Ings.... Anything less is bullshit (esp. as one game is 100% meaningless).

Durham: "Is Calvert-Lewin better than Kane?"

2019/20
EPL Games: 36
Goals: 13
Assist: 1

2018/19
EPL Games: 35
Goals: 6
Assist: 2

Come back in 6 season's time, Durham ya knob-end.

Durham: "Is Calvert-Lewin better than Kane?"

2019/20
EPL Games: 36
Goals: 13
Assist: 1

2018/19
EPL Games: 35
Goals: 6
Assist: 2

Come back in 6 season's time, Durham ya knob-end.
Yes, Play him every game for England as he is clearly the better player, dont even let kane sit on the bench, send him home to train with Bale as punishment for not being as good! :mourthumb:

Blatantly would have come off at half time, but on 2 goals and probably has a huge hat trick bonus.
3rd goes in around 75 minutes and he practically subs himself off in the goal celebrations :sonlol:

Back
Top Bottom