Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's had a couple of great goals this year to be fair. But yes, I'd agree with you... I don't think he's as good a goal scorer as people tend to think he is. He needs world class service most of the time to score.

World class service????

He hasn't had close to that this year and is top 5 in goals. Didn't have it last season and had a great scoring record despite injury problems.

I am not sure who you would say is a better goal scorer than him, maybe Lewandowski but I think if you switch the two players one guy would drop off a lot in production while Kane would produce at the same or better rate than he currently does.

World class service????

He hasn't had close to that this year and is top 5 in goals. Didn't have it last season and had a great scoring record despite injury problems.

I am not sure who you would say is a better goal scorer than him, maybe Lewandowski but I think if you switch the two players one guy would drop off a lot in production while Kane would produce at the same or better rate than he currently does.
Look through his goals this season and tell me how many of his open play goals were goals created from nothing. And how many shots and penalties does he need to get his goals? Remember, he’s below average at under 20% in terms of goal conversion.

Look through his goals this season and tell me how many of his open play goals were goals created from nothing

The Sheffield United goal, the goals at Southampton including the ones he created for Son all come to mind. In fact a lot of Son's goals come from Kane creating the chance out of nothing.

I will have to have some time to find all the goals to see the others, but I can't think of a goal outside of the header from Reguilon in which he had world class service.

He's had a couple of great goals this year to be fair. But yes, I'd agree with you... I don't think he's as good a goal scorer as people tend to think he is. He needs world class service most of the time to score.
I don't think you have watched many Spurs games before your man Ndombele arrived did you.
Get yourself on youtube and watch the amount of goals Harry has scored during his Spurs career,
Goal after goal many that he has made out of nothing.
If your man was 50% the player Harry is we would have a very good midfield player on our hands.
Sadly we can only dream.

I don't think there is much doubt he is an excellent finisher with both feet and head!

But for me he lacks pace. That factor is almost essential to every attacking player in a top team. Because it damages passages of play when the press is required. Fast pressing , not for the whole game, but when needed raises the teams spirit. And for me the team looks like it lacks a permanent ingrained fighting spirit.

The team isn't good enough to support him to be the best he could be.

So sell him. Use the money to rebuild.

Lo celso return will help him. He misses Ericson and a good Deli.

A Vardy type would suit us better at the moment.

Look through his goals this season and tell me how many of his open play goals were goals created from nothing. And how many shots and penalties does he need to get his goals? Remember, he’s below average at under 20% in terms of goal conversion.
So now I know why city are top of the league, they get extra points from scoring goals from nothing ! ? :mourthumb:

Have you seen his goals vs Xgoals? I’m not even going to look but I guarantee he’s above average there.

Have you seen his goals vs Xgoals? I’m not even going to look but I guarantee he’s above average there.
Kane is 50th in the PL with 1 goal more than his non-penalty xG. So no, he doesn't look great here either.

Just FYI Son is still #1 in the PL with 5.7 goals more than his non-penalty xG.

Also, what's more interesting is that Kane has 11 assists vs just 5.0 xAssists. He ranks #1 in the PL as far as this differential is concerned. This suggests Kane benefited A LOT from quality/clinical finishing from his teammates.

Last edited:
Kane is 50th in the PL with 1 goal more than his non-penalty xG. So no, he doesn't look great here either.

Also, what's more interesting is that Kane has 11 assists vs just 5.0 xAssists. He ranks #1 in the PL as far as this differential is concerned. This suggests Kane benefited A LOT from quality/clinical finishing from his teammates.

What was your point again? Edit: I should be clearer. Why the non-stop putting down of Kane?

Yes, the center backs with 2 goals on .8 xG are far better finishers than Kane.

Nothing to do with high deviation due to a low sample size. These kind of arguments are just so pointless.

Oh fuck off. This place has been invaded with trolls lately. It's the Mourinho effect. He brainwashes idiots into thinking all our players are basically crap and every goal we score or point we obtain is somehow the work his genius. Won't enjoy football again until he's gone and hopefully he takes his fucking fan boys with him.

Who let in all the dipper and Woolwich fans to troll us?

Kane? Needs world class service? The dude who's a top scorer in the Premier League and providing massive assist numbers while playing most of the season with the mighty midfield of Sissoko and Winks?

Come on...

Fuck off there is nothing wrong with Kane he is a world class forward do you think he would have to keep dropping deep and using up most of his energy during the game just to get the attack going who has been the best forward this season Kane best attacking mid this season Kane best defender on set pieces Kane we have shit manager that’s the fucking problem

I don't think there is much doubt he is an excellent finisher with both feet and head!
The team isn't good enough to support him to be the best he could be.

So sell him. Use the money to rebuild.

Lo celso return will help him. He misses Ericson and a good Deli.

A Vardy type would suit us better at the moment.
How many clubs could actually afford him, especially now when most clubs a bit cash strapped.

Sheffield United?

I don't have the photographic memory for goals that some do but I think that was largely him just beating the defense on his own.
Can't say that I remember the goal...or match. In my defense I try to forget them as soon as they are over nowadays.

I don't see him being taken out of the game as easily as you do. I think he has been taken out of recent games more by being injured and overplayed more than anything. If we have quality around him I think it is impossible to take him out of the game because his passing allows him to effect the game even if he is dropped deeper and one on one 99%, if not 100%, of defenders are out of their depth.
His passing is decent but his footwork, ball control, and resistance to MF pressure is shit. He cannot make time and space with the ball at his feet in the MF so dropping deeper will not open up space to get his passes off. That is why Jose's little wrinkle has been thwarted. And it wasn't due to injury it was defensive attention.

And I don't agree with the point about defenders being our of their depth deeper. Harry cannot face a player up (and thus expose the ball) in the MF. He can do it in the box against a slower CB with the threat of a pen nullifying tight defensive pressure but not in the MF.

And lastly, you've reached the catch 22, 'if we have quality around him'. Yes, 'if' indeed. But how do you get the quality while he's still here and money is tight? Sell Sonny to generate funds? Well that would make things even tighter on Harry since we would then have no threat in behind to stretch the defense and keep them honest.

I want Spurs to win and I want Spurs to play good, entertaining football. Those two things are necessities. Harry, or any 1 player, being a part of it isn't. But I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about the last part if his advisors are worth anything. I do wonder if anyone that could both use him and afford it will pony up the money though.

I believe this would be QED. Thanks for getting it.

I didn't need the stats to come to my opinion but they do support the point. I just think it should be pretty clear from watching all of our games. But be prepared for folks taking shots at 'lying stats'.

Yes, the center backs with 2 goals on .8 xG are far better finishers than Kane.

Nothing to do with high deviation due to a low sample size. These kind of arguments are just so pointless.
Spectacularly missing the point. His placing in the list is not the salient point of the post. The stats suggest that Kane's goals are from goals that should be scored by any competent player and no further intrinsic value is being derived from the player as suggested by most in this thread (i.e. we can't get rid of Kane because we can't find anyone to do the things he does). When, in fact, we have a player outperforming his respective xG in our very own team due to his clinical finishing and pace in behind.

Sentence I never expected to see in this forum.

"Enough excuses for Kane already" ?!?!

Enough excuses for a loyal homegrown superstar who could have left us for very best teams for huge amount of money years ago.
But despite everything he has stayed loyal to Spurs through thick and thin.

Yes, he stayed loyal to Spurs because he loves the club. and kisses the badge

< and the 90m quid contract helped >

I believe this would be QED. Thanks for getting it.

I didn't need the stats to come to my opinion but they do support the point. I just think it should be pretty clear from watching all of our games. But be prepared for folks taking shots at 'lying stats'.

They aren’t lying they just don’t tell us anything at all.

For the avoidance of doubt, Kane is bloody brilliant and we won't replace him with a better striker.

What we don't have at Spurs is anyone that can pass the ball to him; so he is having to drop deep and go in search of the ball. Early in the season, Son and Kane made a deadly partnership; but other teams figured out quickly that they were our only goal threat.

If Bale can stay fit and plays, Harry will be able to play in more dangerous positions and will be back scoring a goal a game.

And of course GLC should be back tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom