Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was thinking similar watching Mbappe play night. Kane level finishing + superior athleticism.

As a pure number 9, you can argue Kane's not at the very very highest level that you are talking about. But then he has other qualities that most number 9s, including Mbappe, don't have.

Mbappe Defoed that first goal straight at Neurer, who should have saved it. Nothing elite about that. And he misses hell of a lot of good chances. Ndombellendbadboy is just talking shit as usual. These mystical other strikers who never miss simply don't exist. They just watch YouTube highlights of various strikers scoring goals and think they never miss. A lot of self appointed experts also base their opinions on how a player peforms in FIFA.

Why are you entertaining this complete cunt of a troll Sammy? Kane is amazing and our best player for the last 4 or 5 seasons. Great chap, amazing goal scorer and assister and all round awesome.
Fuck Sammy and his trolling cuntface

You won't find any posts from Notabigcock being positive about Spurs. He's a blatant Chelsea fan.

Why are you entertaining this complete cunt of a troll Sammy? Kane is amazing and our best player for the last 4 or 5 seasons. Great chap, amazing goal scorer and assister and all round awesome.
Fuck Sammy and his trolling cuntface

Sorry mate, I do what I like.

I take no sides and find that if I don't agree with someone and as long as they are not abusive, then I am content with how and what they post.

Ssmmyspurs has his faults like we all do but he also makes some very insightful posts in my opinion.

On Kane it is for others to engage as much as they see fit. I like some of the debate.

On strikers and the perception of what makes some world class and others not, I think it is quite an intellectual debate but only one you can have if you have objectivity and football knowledge.

Some people fall well short of one or both elements and therefore view those who do have some understanding as difficult or worse.

Mbappe Defoed that first goal straight at Neurer, who should have saved it. Nothing elite about that. And he misses hell of a lot of good chances. Ndombellendbadboy is just talking shit as usual. These mystical other strikers who never miss simply don't exist. They just watch YouTube highlights of various strikers scoring goals and think they never miss. A lot of self appointed experts also base their opinions on how a player peforms in FIFA.
I'm just going on what I've seen of Mbappe. He showed up against Barca and now Bayern, and was a stand out in the World Cup. Has pretty obvious qualities, and seems to be able to deliver in big games. Kane's a very clever footballer, but it is fair to say he can't rely on blistering pace. So it's a fair point about top teams being a bit more able to mark him out of the game.

Okay he comes some heresy.... whilst freely admitting he is super talented. I think Mbappe is over rated. That said when Bezos buys us I want him wide of kane in the front three.

I'm just going on what I've seen of Mbappe. He showed up against Barca and now Bayern, and was a stand out in the World Cup. Has pretty obvious qualities, and seems to be able to deliver in big games. Kane's a very clever footballer, but it is fair to say he can't rely on blistering pace. So it's a fair point about top teams being a bit more able to mark him out of the game.

He's had plenty of games where he hasn't been effective. You can't just cherry pick the ones he has been. Deny him space in behind and he's much less of a player. It's up to a manager to use Kane effectively. In his two finals I lay the blame firmly on Poch. We played predictable formations and tactics in both. I think Mourinho's a cunt but he probably utilises Kane better than anyone by giving him more freedom. Kane has truly elite plus plus level of football intelligence and can read a game and find a way to make a difference, and he can make a difference in many ways, ways that other strikers can't.

I agree and because of the limitation on pace, it is surprising that Kane has not figured out a way.

He could for example do as C. Ronaldo has often done, which is position himself again at the weakest header of the ball in an opposition's defence.

Kane just needs to adapt when teams are set up to nullify him and if he did that, he would in my opinion take that final step-up.

But yep I think your point is a good one.

Kane is so much better than Mbappe but Mbappe went to PSG and Kane is so much better than Lewandoski who went to Bayern Munich and so much better than Salah who went to Liverpool and won 100 trophies between them.

Kane at 28 was free to stay at a failing Spurs side his whole career and no big club ever showed interest.
You call it loyalty, I call it lack of options.
This kind of criticism is exactly why I'm worried about Kane staying at Spurs for his whole career. But to hear it coming from a Spurs fan is incredible. It's your club he's potentially destroying his legacy to help!

If you don't believe that some of the huge clubs have spoken to Spurs behind the scenes about Kane, I don't know what to tell you. >90% of the real business happens out of our view and >90% of the business that's visible to us is pure theatre.

Last edited:
This kind of criticism is exactly why I'm worried about Kane staying at Spurs for his whole career. But to hear it coming from a Spurs fan is incredible.

If you don't believe that some of the huge clubs have spoken to Spurs behind the scenes about Kane, I don't know what to tell you. >90% of the real business happens out of our view and >90% of the business that's visible to us is pure theatre.
There has obviously been interest but probably no takers at the price that Levy was probably demanding. I think that's the point Sammy was making. Is it worth buying Kane for 150+ million?

There has obviously been interest but probably no takers at the price that Levy was probably demanding. I think that's the point Sammy was making. Is it worth buying Kane for 150+ million?
Probably not. But Levy pricing Kane at a world record fee says very little about how good he is. A transfer record for a soon-to-be 28-year-old would be an insane decision for the buying side to make. And that is probably by design: they're not supposed to actually buy him.

Last edited:
Probably not. But Levy pricing Kane at a world record fee says very little about how good he is. A transfer record for a soon-to-be 28-year-old would be an insane decision for the buying side to make.
So the question is how much is Kane worth and how much would the big clubs pay up for Kane? 80-100 million in today's market?

On strikers and the perception of what makes some world class and others not, I think it is quite an intellectual debate but only one you can have if you have objectivity and football knowledge.

Some people fall well short of one or both elements and therefore view those who do have some understanding as difficult or worse.

You're utterly deluded. You have zero ability to assess a footballer. You've shown zero insight in anything you have ever posted on any topic, Your perspective revolves entirely around what you perceive as a Special Magic Super Power to score in what you deem as "Big games". If a player scores in a big game, they are deemed Elite, even if it's from two yards out. Can't you see how stupid this makes you look, to believe in a Special Magic Super Power?

He has found a way.

He's currently top of the goalscorer chart and has most assists in the PL. No one has ever ended the season in the PL with most goals and assists.
The debate was around whether Kane fails to perform in big games and/or better defenses and why he may or may not fail to deliver in those games. I initially made the point that he scores in buckets against 80-90% of defenses/teams but can be marked out of games relatively easily by better defenses.

I attributed that to a lack of elite level athleticism/physical tools (pace/strength/mobility etc) that several top drawer strikers have shown to have. A good defense can outmaneuver players that have quality/high IQ but absolutely no one can stop players that have both quality/high IQ AND elite level athleticism when they are on their game. Think both Ronaldos, Messi, Henry, prime Bale etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom