Harry Redknapp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When results start to go wrong, everyone naturally starts to make arguments for why. And tactics / lineups etc is probably the easiest thing to blame it on. But I think the above shows that our lineups and formations in this dip aren't really very different to those during our great run.

Thanks for the info, as you pointed out our line ups and formation didn't change too much during our dip, the players would have been fatigued from playing so many games that deep into the season, or the business end when you want the run to be happening. I loved VDV, but he was rarely able to complete 90 minutes, there were times I felt that Kranjcar should have had more games, but was left on the subs bench, being an old 'Arry favourite I could not understand why he didn't get more game time when VDV was struggling with is hamstring. This was also the time when we saw poor Ledley finally break, had he been fit I'm sure we'd have been fine. There were games where we really didn't compete and should have been winning. Losing to Norwich, QPR and Everton, teams we were clearly better than. Even with those losses we could have still made 3rd but we could only draw against a turgid Villa, we should have really won that game even after having Rose sent off.

As I mentioned previously, I really enjoyed Redknapp's time as our manager, however I just don't think he had the mentality to take us to the next level. If Levy had given him free reign to sign the players that he really wanted would we be blessed with the same squad we have now? I couldn't see the likes of Eriksen, Holtby, Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, Chadli being 'Arry type signings.

Redknapp is a good, not great, manager IMO.

Its ok to praise him for good work and criticise him for bad.

I think he has a definite MO - look at his QPR dealings again, older players, money spent, big wages, large back room team (Steve McClaren now joined the usual lot)..

I fully expect him to win the league with QPR. They have outspent the rest of the league considerably and have a squad full of premier league talent. Plus top Championship performers. There was a comment on the football league show when showing the Yeovil QPR highlights that QPRS budget was 50 times that of Yeovil, if its true its a remarkable example of the disparity in what they can afford to spend and what everyone else can.

So far while QPR can boast positive results I dont think the performances are there yet, so there could be some pressure on him to deliver more...

Are you for real?

First up, no one is comparing him to AVB.

Regarding buying the players back, yes he helped them, They could not pay the players, and there was a fire sale.....Defoe could have probably gone somewhere for 3M they were so fucked, so yes, he paid them a decent fee.

Good points, you forgot what he achieved here already which is something I never get with the people who dont like him. You can hate his guts for all I care, but to belittle his what he's done for club is just gooner-like.

Won the league with record points tally taking the club to the highest division in their history. Relegated three yrs later, and he was there for two more years. Nearly dies in a car crash, sees his friend killed in that crash, and eventually quits.

Established a youth accademy that saw the likes of Ferdinand, Lampard, Carrick and Cole come through the ranks.
Secures their second highest ever top flight finish.
"The chairman had offered me a new four-year contract. What I did was talk to a fanzine, made some comments, and sometimes I should be a bit more careful. I sat down with these guys from the fanzine and they started asking me questions and I spoke to them in the way I’d talk to someone in a pub. I said a few things I shouldn’t have said. He read it and got very upset. I walked into his office expecting to sign the contract and walked out without a job!"

Won the Championship and promoted to PL. Fell out with Mandaric and resigned.

Took over halfway through the season and couldnt keep them up. Was there for one year. Resigned.

Joined halway through season, and kept them up. Following year led them to highest finish in their history.
Offered Newcastle job, declines.
Wins FA Cup
(you wanna blame Redknapp for this..
Because of the financial problems suffered by the club, Portsmouth were forced to sell several of their top players and high earners, this included selling Peter Crouch, Sylvain Distin, Glen Johnson and Niko Kranjčar. On 21 July, Al Fahim was appointed non-executive chairman of Portsmouth. On 19 August, Portsmouth announced on their website that a rival consortium headed by current CEO Peter Storrie had also made a bid for the club; unknown at the time, this was backed by Ali Al-Faraj. Despite this, Al Fahim completed the takeover on 26 August; Al Faraj moved to review a takeover of West Ham United. As the early stages of the 2009–10 season progressed, the finances dried up and the club admitted on 1 October that some of their players and staff had not been paid. On 3 October, media outlets started to report that a deal was nearing completion for Ali al-Faraj to take control of the club. On 5 October, a deal was agreed for Al Faraj and his associates via BVI-registered company Falcondrone to hold a 90% majority holding, with Al-Fahim retaining 10% stake and the title of non-executive chairman for two years. Falcondrone also agreed a deal with Gaydamak the right to buy, for £1, Miland Development (2004) Ltd, which owns various strategic pockets of land around the ground, once refinancing is complete. 2 days after the Al-Faraj takeover was completed Portsmouth's former Technical Director Avram Grant returned as Director of football. On the pitch, Portsmouth's late transfer of funds called for a flurry of transfers at the end of the window, including the loan signing of Ivory Coast international Aruna Dindane who would go on to score a hat trick against Wigan Athletic. An opening run of seven defeats saw fears Hart would be sacked. However at the eighth attempt, at Molineux Stadium, Hassan Yebda another loanee, headed the first win. Portsmouth were beaten 4–2 at home by Aston Villa in the quarter finals of the League Cup having beaten off Premier League high-flyers Stoke City. Yet another loanee Frédéric Piquionne was on target twice. However, because of the financial problems, the Premier League placed the club under a transfer embargo, meaning the club were not allowed to sign any players.

Avram Grant took over at Portsmouth on 26 November 2009 replacing former manager Paul Hart, who had been sacked by the board two days previously, due to the club's position at the bottom of the league.

In December 2009, it was announced that the club had failed to pay the players for the second consecutive month, on the 31st it was announced player's wages would again be paid late on 5 January 2010. According to common football contracts, the players then had the right to terminate their contracts and leave the club without any compensation for the club, upon giving two weeks' notice. Despite the financial difficulties, Grant's time as manager was initially successful. He gained two wins (against Burnley and Liverpool) and a draw away at Sunderland from his first five games. The only losses inflicted on Portsmouth in this period were by eventual double winners Chelsea and the previous season's champions, Manchester United. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) filed a winding-up petition against Portsmouth at the High Court in London on 23 December 2009. In March 2010, this winding-up petition was dropped, leaving Portsmouth with a nine-point penalty for entering administration. During the 2009–10 season, it had become apparent to the club's new owner Balram Chainrai that Portsmouth were approximately £135 million in debt so to protect the club from liquidation, Chainrai placed the club into administration on 26 February 2010, and the club appointed Andrew Andronikou, Peter Kubik and Michael Kiely of accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young as administrators. This automatically incurred a nine-point penalty from the FA Premier League which came into effect on 17 March and resigned the team to almost certain relegation, which was mathematically confirmed on 10 April.

On 9 April it was announced David Lampitt would be joining Portsmouth as their new CEO after he had worked a period of notice at the FA, his current employer. Portsmouth were relegated to the Championship the following day after West Ham United beat Sunderland. Despite this, Portsmouth won their FA Cup semi-final match against Tottenham 2–0 after extra-time the next day, with goals from Frédéric Piquionne and Kevin-Prince Boateng winning the match. They faced Chelsea in the final at Wembley on 15 May and lost 1–0 to a goal from Didier Drogba. Despite being the FA Cup finalists, the club were denied a licence to play European football the following season in the UEFA Europa League, and therefore the European place went to Liverpool. In May, Grant resigned as Portsmouth manager and later joined West Ham, whose win over Sunderland relegated Portsmouth from the Premier League. On 17 June, the club's creditors voted for a Company Voluntary Arrangement, with a 81.3% majority; Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Paul Hart and the agent of Portsmouth midfielder Tommy Smith were the only ones to reject it, but HMRC appealed against the CVA due to the reduction of their considerable debt. On 15 July 2010 HMRC appealed against the proposed CVA on the last day before it would be formally agreed, the case was originally going to take place in October 2010, but after an appeal from the administrators at the club it was set for 3 August at the High Court in London. The case was heard by Mr Justice Mann from 3 to 5 August where, having heard submissions from both sides, he turned down HMRC's appeal on all five counts put forward by the revenue service. HMRC decided not to appeal against the verdict, leaving Portsmouth's administrators to formally agree the CVA and bring the club out of administration. On 17 August, Balram Chainrai completed his takeover of the club and passed the owners and Directors F&PPT.

On 22 October, Portsmouth issued a statement saying: "it appears likely that the club will now be closed down and liquidated by the administrators.", but key creditor Alexandre Gaydamak announced the next day that he had reached an agreement which could save their future.[34] It was revealed just hours later that Portsmouth had finally come out of administration, with Balram Chainrai regaining control of the company.

On 23 November 2011, a Europe-wide arrest warrant was issued for owner of Portsmouth, Vladimir Aleksandrovich Antonov, by Lithuanian prosecutors as part of an investigation into alleged asset stripping at Lithuanian bank Bankas Snoras, which is 68% owned by Antonov and had gone into temporary administration the previous week. Operations in another of Antonov's banks, Latvijas Krajbanka were suspended by Latvian authorities on 22 November 2011 for similar reasons. Antonov was subsequently arrested at his offices in London on 24 November and was bailed.

Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) released a statement which said "In the light of the recent events at Snoras Bank, Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) would like to reassure its companies, staff, and the fans of its teams and events, that it remains very much business as usual." The statement added that "CSI has been solely financed through the private wealth of its owners. Snoras Bank has never provided funding for the purchase of a CSI organisation, nor has it lent any money to these businesses after they have been acquired." However, Lithuanian prosecutors added that they would be taking "all the necessary steps" to freeze assets belonging to Mr Antonov and his business partner. On 29 November 2011, Antonov resigned as chairman of Portsmouth after parent company Convers Sports Initiatives entered administration. On 24 January 2012, Portsmouth were issued with a winding up petition by HMRC for over £1.6 million in unpaid taxes, which was heard on 20 February.

On 17 February, Portsmouth went into administration for the second time in two years, bringing them an automatic 10-point deduction. Administrator Trevor Birch admitted that the financial situation was "worse than we first feared" and that Portsmouth were "struggling to make the end of the season". On 11 April 2012, reports from administrators PKF revealed that Portsmouth owed £58 million debt with £38 million is owed to UHY Hacker Young, £10.5 million investment made by Vladimir Antonov's Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) remains outstanding, Players are due £3.5 million in wages and bonuses for the last two seasons, while £2.3 million is owed to Revenue and Customs and additionally, £3.7 million is owed for general trade. On 21 April Portsmouth were relegated from the Championship after a 2–1 loss to Derby County, condemning Portsmouth to League One – the first time in 30 years that the club has played at that level.

Not even going to bother. If thats your outlook on his time here, then there is no point.
Look Im not looking to argue - this is my opinion as it is yours.
Your opinion is how you interrupt the news, my opinion differs. I am for real?

Im not comparing AVB im just stating there is no comparison as managers, They are at different ends of the spectrum as in quality coaches.

Redknapp has already led three clubs into financial trouble.

At QPR inflated wages Sambe and Remy – HR’s doing – RELIGATED then Redknapp did everything to absolve himself of any blame? ...Theres a pattern right here how he menages clubs .

Bournmounth - he was allegedly involved in many dodgy dealings, increasing club debt from £150,000 in the late eighties to a staggering 2 million + figure in 1992. He drove up the salaries of players to a financially unsustainable level which put them into administration along with point deductions?

It was at West Ham that he got his reputation as a “wheeler-dealer” and as a “cheque-book manager” possibly because of his involvement in as many as 134 transfers. The Rio Ferdinand transfer was probably the highlight, with Redknapp pocketing a cool £300,000 pounds that he received as a bonus.

He does have success at clubs he can manage, but he needs PL players in the CL then having to pay then overinflated wages which always spells trouble.

Are you arguing or not then?

Or was your first line really saying "Im going to babble a whole load of shit, based on nothing, and I dont want you to answer"?

Sorry, I don't buy that Redknapp led these clubs into financial trouble.
He may heave been a bit on the crooked side. He may have taken a cut from agents for deals.(obviously, i am not saying he actually did.)

but at the end of the day, it was the likes of peter storrie, terry brown, Milan Mandaric that were signing the cheques, not redknapp.

Ive heard the same stuff spouted by Palace supporters over the time that Venables was there with Mark Goldberg, as though Venables was given the company cheque book.
I just dont buy it. All these clubs, with the possible exception of Bournemouth, have been owned by rich men. You dont get rich by entrusting the company bank account to a man that claims he can barely read or write.

HR is a brilliant manager. Never took a penny in deals, always looked to build a team with the players he had. Always looking to keep wages down. No club, which he managed ever got relegated and into financial trouble. He was so good at Spurs, they struggled to keep hold of him and had to let him go. He also turned down the England job because he said" it suited the corrupt managers in the game - not me". And No i don't have a dodgy bank bank account abroad- your aving a laugh ?

Last edited:
All these clubs, with the possible exception of Bournemouth, have been owned by rich men. You dont get rich by entrusting the company bank account to a man that claims he can barely read or write.

This exactly. If any of us seriously think it's Redknapp's fault that club's have got into difficulty, we should be questioning the Chairmen and boards. Redknapp would never have seen a financial statement / have to sign off with the auditors. How can it possibly be his fault? If Mandaric and Fernandes and whoever else decided to overstretch their clubs and play high stakes poker that was their responsibility financially - not Redknapp's.

My only gripe with Redknapp is the way he played footsy with the FA over the England manager's job, and then dragged it out into the run in - we all know what happened. Glad he's gone but no hatred.

Sorry, I don't buy that Redknapp led these clubs into financial trouble.
He may heave been a bit on the crooked side. He may have taken a cut from agents for deals.(obviously, i am not saying he actually did.)

but at the end of the day, it was the likes of peter storrie, terry brown, Milan Mandaric that were signing the cheques, not redknapp.

Ive heard the same stuff spouted by Palace supporters over the time that Venables was there with Mark Goldberg, as though Venables was given the company cheque book.
I just dont buy it. All these clubs, with the possible exception of Bournemouth, have been owned by rich men. You dont get rich by entrusting the company bank account to a man that claims he can barely read or write.

Absolutely.

I have no doubt at all that Redknapp is a bit of a dodgy dealer, that a lot of his transfers further his personal interests or that he is a manager that desires expensive players - often players really outside the clubs pay bracket.

However, despite him being this way, it CANNOT happen unless the Board/Chief Exec sign off on it.

At any club they are the keepers of the finances and security of the club, not Redknapp.

So more fool Mandaric for indulging him, or Storrie, or Fernandes - if there is blame to apportion thats where it belongs.

I'd still like to see him manage England. He invariably gets the very best out of the players he chooses to rely upon.

Some of the football he got us playing was first class, for that I would rather try and remember the good than the bad (just the same as BMJ).

I think with international football, because you have such limited time with the players, its essential to pick players suited to a role, keep it simple and effective, and motivate like hell. I think Redknapp would be brilliant in that role personally.

Javier Chevanton: QPR sign Uruguay striker on short-term deal
Championship leaders QPR have signed Uruguay striker Javier Chevanton on a short-term deal, subject to international clearance.

The 33-year-old former Monaco and Sevilla player was a free agent after leaving Italian side Lecce last season.

"With the injuries we've had to Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson,we're really short of options in that department," said QPR boss Harry Redknapp.

"Javier has spent time with us and integrated into the group very well."

He added: "He arrives with a good pedigree and gives us a much-needed extra option in attack."

“I have scored goals all around Europe and I am confident I can continue that record with QPR”

Chevanton began his career in his homeland with Danubio, but moved to Europe in 2001 when he joined Lecce, then in Serie A.

He moved to Monaco three years later and then onto Sevilla in 2006.

Since leaving the Spanish outfit in 2010, he has had two further spells with Lecce and spent time playing in Argentina.

Chevanton, who has scored seven goals in 22 appearances for Uruguay, has agreed a contract which runs until 24 December.

"I am very happy to be here, working with a good manager like Harry Redknapp, for a team which is currently top of the Championship with huge ambitions to return to the Premier League," he said.

"I am really looking forward to the challenge of playing in England. I have scored goals all around Europe and I am confident I can continue that record with QPR.

"When I was younger, I loved watching English football. The atmosphere here is great and when the chance came to join QPR, it was all I wanted.

"I have a great will to win and I can't wait to do my best for the club and fall in love with the fans."

Im pretty sure their squad is massive

HR is a brilliant manager. Never took a penny in deals, always looked to build a team with the players he had. Always looking to keep wages down. No club, which he managed ever got relegated and into financial trouble. He was so good at Spurs, they struggled to keep hold of him and had to let him go. He also turned down the England job because he said" it suited the corrupt managers in the game - not me". And No i don't have a dodgy bank bank account abroad- your aving a laugh ?

You know people like you have an attitude that if you dont like something, it cant be any good.
Its like trying to deny Woolwich were any good ten years ago because you hate them.

Fucking moronic.

10378499725_f6e2025d43_o.gif

I can't stop laughing at this...

Back
Top Bottom