Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

10 minutes or so into the second half and we had a goal kick. Gaz passed out to Toby who looked up to see Winks stood in the centre of the pitch 10 yards outside the 18 yard area, calling for the ball. Toby passed to him and Winks without a second's hesitation immediately passed it back, to a huge groan from the crowd, which even drew mention from the commentator. A few minutes later and the whole routine was replayed but this time, possibly due to the booing he had received previously, Winks turned and moved forward, passing forward across the pitch to move play upfield. Having realised that the world does fall in on itself should you take a pass from a defender and have the guts to take responsibility and not simply play it back and put the pressure on the defender, Winks successfully reproduced this several more times. Quite why it's taken so long for Winks - and hopefully our other midfielders - to take on board this effective routine of moving the ball under control from defence through to midfield is baffling, but it felt like a huge hurdle was overcome yesterday and the consequence led to our improved performance in the second half.
It’s the atrocious mentality seared into their brains for the 18 months.
1: Possession in our own box is better than risking losing the ball in the oppos box.
2: Sideways = Safe
3: Back is the new black

It’s going to take a while to excercise these demons

10 minutes or so into the second half and we had a goal kick. Gaz passed out to Toby who looked up to see Winks stood in the centre of the pitch 10 yards outside the 18 yard area, calling for the ball. Toby passed to him and Winks without a second's hesitation immediately passed it back, to a huge groan from the crowd, which even drew mention from the commentator. A few minutes later and the whole routine was replayed but this time, possibly due to the booing he had received previously, Winks turned and moved forward, passing forward across the pitch to move play upfield. Having realised that the world does fall in on itself should you take a pass from a defender and have the guts to take responsibility and not simply play it back and put the pressure on the defender, Winks successfully reproduced this several more times. Quite why it's taken so long for Winks - and hopefully our other midfielders - to take on board this effective routine of moving the ball under control from defence through to midfield is baffling, but it felt like a huge hurdle was overcome yesterday and the consequence led to our improved performance in the second half.
Something similar happened over a year ago at Wembley and I remember Winks looked visibly shocked at the crowd response. He was in and out of the team at the time and then got injured. However it was worse then as we were playing better then and against a team we expected 3 points but having trouble breaking down. Yesterday we had so little pocession in first hour that I can just see wanting to keep pocession but this should not happen if he plays v Middlesboro or Watford who we need to beat.

Is it just me or has he had a growth spurt this season? He looks as if he's filled out quite a bit and looks taller.
Mind you, tbat might be my usual seat is in row 23 and I was front row yesterday!
:mourglasses:

His passing range has improved under Jose but defensively he’s a massive liability. Why he’s being played as a DM is beyond me - that’s his worst position.

It’s the atrocious mentality seared into their brains for the 18 months.
1: Possession in our own box is better than risking losing the ball in the oppos box.
2: Sideways = Safe
3: Back is the new black

It’s going to take a while to excercise these demons

Which interestingly is part of why we completely panic. Opposition can pressure our build up and we'll either just boot it up or get ourselves in trouble by nervously passing it back into our own corners.

It's like a busboy doing the dishes extra calmly, and subsequently they start piling up. The manager asks him what the fuck he's doing and the busboy just crumbles and the plates come out half-dirty.
The only way to get out of this mess is to either hire someone who can handle it or have the little fucker understand that he needs to grow a pair.

His ball to Son in the first half was what I'd expect more of from him.

I actually thought he was okay today but so many times was getting bullied off it. If he's played, it needs to be as a player who is in front of a DM and used simply to recycle the ball or pass incisicely to an attacking player

His ball to Son in the first half was what I'd expect more of from him.

I actually thought he was okay today but so many times was getting bullied off it. If he's played, it needs to be as a player who is in front of a DM and used simply to recycle the ball or pass incisicely to an attacking player

If he has a future with us, he needs to be a standard CM in a 3 and, as you suggest, work on distributing the ball better. Remember the pass you mention - he pinged it out to Son on the left. I was surprised too.

His defensive game is terrible. He's too small and he bounces off players. But that's not his fault and at least he tries to get stuck in.

To me he's a steady Eddy, needs to play regularly to see the best of him. Otherwise all we get are nervous back passes and lunges in front of opposition shots.
Would be a shame to sell him, he's a decent player and 100% Spurs.
‘Decent’ is not good enough for a team supposedly aiming to compete at the very top. He’s the English Stambouli at best

I honestly don’t get where the winks hate comes from, he wasn’t bad against Watford and set up a brilliant chance while working hard.

If son had taken a touch then he would have scored. He progresses the ball well and is being played out of position as a 6.

why does everyone hate him so much?

I honestly don’t get where the winks hate comes from, he wasn’t bad against Watford and set up a brilliant chance while working hard.

If son had taken a touch then he would have scored. He progresses the ball well and is being played out of position as a 6.

why does everyone hate him so much?

Because he's not Dembele.

Same reason Sanchez got hate. He wasn't Vertonghen or Alderweireld.

Same reason Trippier got hate. He wasn't Walker.

Sams reason Davies got hate. He wasn't Rose.

Etc. Etc.

Because he's not Dembele.

Same reason Sanchez got hate. He wasn't Vertonghen or Alderweireld.

Same reason Trippier got hate. He wasn't Walker.

Sams reason Davies got hate. He wasn't Rose.

Etc. Etc.
Same reason Lloris got hate, he wasn't Friedel.

I'll show myself out now.

To me he's a steady Eddy, needs to play regularly to see the best of him. Otherwise all we get are nervous back passes and lunges in front of opposition shots.
Would be a shame to sell him, he's a decent player and 100% Spurs.
I think if he had a genuine DM beside him in the mould of Wanyama or a similar type player it would benefit him greatly.

Back
Top Bottom