Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree. I think Winks is class, but it will never surface in this current team.

He's not defensive, and he's not creative but he does make better players play better. Sounds trite but I think he will be stellar at the Euro's and still be shit when he comes back to us because of us - not because of him.

The worst kind of luxury. The one you can't afford.

He is far from a world-beater, but players like Winks will always get underestimated; a bit like Michael Carrick, even when he was 30+ year old many football fans were asking what he actually adds to a team while people like Sir Alex, Mourinho, Guardiola etc. really rated him.

He is far from a world-beater, but players like Winks will always get underestimated; a bit like Michael Carrick, even when he was 30+ year old many football fans were asking what he actually adds to a team while people like Sir Alex, Mourinho, Guardiola etc. really rated him.
Carrick's last season with us. Would love some of that in our team.

Carrick's last season with us. Would love some of that in our team.
Carrick was a fantastic midfielder, obviously I didn't mean that Winks is as good, but they are the kind of players that never reallt get the credits they deserve.

Almost all his team mates loved him and I think Neville was spot on by saying:

When you play with Michael Carrick you think there is authority, control, peace. When you are on a football pitch playing against Liverpool or Manchester City, you need peace around you as well. You sometimes don’t want people running around like blue-arse flies. Scholes and Carrick together was peaceful. It was like going into a bar and hearing a piano playing. It’s relaxing. Listening to some good rock is good and you like that too but sometimes it’s nice to listen to a piano. Carrick’s a piano.”

Disagree. I think Winks is class, but it will never surface in this current team.

He's not defensive, and he's not creative but he does make better players play better. Sounds trite but I think he will be stellar at the Euro's and still be shit when he comes back to us because of us - not because of him.

The worst kind of luxury. The one you can't afford.

Agreed. In hindsight he probably would've been great in front of Dembele had he developed a bit quicker.

Isn't that on Mourinho then?

I wouldnt expect Son to be able to play well at left back.
NO its on Poch he was the one that's played Winks as DM for last couple of years, so the club didn't buy a replacement for Wanyama, Jose only had Januray window to get a powerful DM

NO its on Poch he was the one that's played Winks as DM for last couple of years, so the club didn't buy a replacement for Wanyama, Jose only had Januray window to get a powerful DM

But Poch went 3 months ago and he's still played there..

But Poch went 3 months ago and he's still played there..
Who else do we have to play there ? Dier ? he's been poor until last few games, what good DM could we get in Januray transfer window, Skipp is not up to it (how many times did Poch play him ?)

Why?

Or are Pochettino and Moirinho just horrible judges of midfielders?

He's been a key starter for both over the last three seasons and played a part in great wins over the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid, Dortmund, Man City, Liverpool to name but a few.

And he's had the likes of Sissoko or Dier alongside him for that period too. Ouch.

I dont think you can use his playing time as a yardstick for two managers given the total lack of competition in our threadbare squad (overall but specifically in midfield for years!)

Whenever I see the phrase 'Winks only passes sideways' I think it is clear indicator that that person has no clue about football. Winks has his flaws for sure, and I can understand people not thinking he is good enough but if the main bit of insight you get from watching him play every week is that then I think you're just regurgitating something you saw someone else say on Twitter or heard in the pub.

He’s pretty much a League 1 player. A good League 1 player, but nothing better.
That's unfair. Aside from fishes out of water like Dele at MK, and more recently Norwich's Ben Godfrey at Shrewsbury, established League 1 midfielders are a whole level slower, physically and mentally.
Winks is a tidy midfielder who does a good job in the right system (he gets England caps for a reason), but not really direct or creative enough to make a big impact in the CL.

If he was at Southampton or Burnley we'd all be saying he looks decent- though probably not a transfer target.

Winks is a tidy player, but because of our feeble squad he is being asked to do a job that doesn't suit him. All our midfielders have looked shit for the last year because we don't have a single one that has a defensive instinct or the aggression to recover the ball. The balance is not there and for months Sissoko, Winks and Lo Celso are being asked to do what Wanyama and Dembele used to do which is totally impossible.

This team needs a powerful midfielder who can read the game and protect our defence. That is how both Poch and Mourinho always played. This squad simply doesn't have that player. We all thought Dier might be able to do it but he isn't mobile enough and he's shown his true position is CB.

Winks will be fine when he can play without the responsibility of being our most defensive midfielder.

Winks is a tidy player, but because of our feeble squad he is being asked to do a job that doesn't suit him. All our midfielders have looked shit for the last year because we don't have a single one that has a defensive instinct or the aggression to recover the ball. The balance is not there and for months Sissoko, Winks and Lo Celso are being asked to do what Wanyama and Dembele used to do which is totally impossible.

This team needs a powerful midfielder who can read the game and protect our defence. That is how both Poch and Mourinho always played. This squad simply doesn't have that player. We all thought Dier might be able to do it but he isn't mobile enough and he's shown his true position is CB.

Winks will be fine when he can play without the responsibility of being our most defensive midfielder.

fine doing what exactly ? He’s allergic to playing a forward pass and he will never have the ability to play a defense splitting pass. He’s like a dog chasing a car up the street.. once he catches it he hasn’t a clue what to do with it. He’s not a DM and if he’s played further forward he’s even more inep. Not physically strong enough either. He was bouncing off then RB players last night. Men against boys. He’s a championship level player at best and every single one of us know it deep down,

Back
Top Bottom