Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I could only imagine Winks on City:

Pep- Winks why are you in your kit I told you you are only listed to fulfill HG requirements

Winks- I know but KDB is down surely you want me to go in and replace him and all that he does

Pep- No, I think we will be fine just playing with 10 men instead

Maybe if City are trying to get Pep to leave and void the rest of the contract the Winks rumour would make sense.
This is just a dumb comment. Winks has had some great games for us and England against the best midfields in the world. Not to mention I have seen him be the only Spurs player at times giving 100%. The guy tries his ass off, loves Spurs and you mock what is probably a genuine link. Maybe just maybe structures of teams influence performance of players.

Was pretty darn decent when we beat Spain for the first time in years. Didn't we win 5-0 on his debut as well?
Making the point that he seems to be pretty anonymous in many games: not arguing that he isn’t better than that, as I suspect he’s been given a very uninspiring role by virtue of our MF being non-existent. I remember him being more actively involved in his earlier games, but he’s morphed into a subScottyP character over time.
And I can’t remember the Spain game so you may have me on that one.

Making the point that he seems to be pretty anonymous in many games: not arguing that he isn’t better than that, as I suspect he’s been given a very uninspiring role by virtue of our MF being non-existent. I remember him being more actively involved in his earlier games, but he’s morphed into a subScottyP character over time.
And I can’t remember the Spain game so you may have me on that one.
We were 3-0 up against Spain and, IIRC, it finished 3-2 late on as we ran out of puff.

I didn't watch it as international football is shite.

Man City have a history of paying over the odds for pretty average home grown players, often to the benefit of the selling club. He has played him quite a bit but he really isn't a Mourinho type player, so this would make sense on a number of levels, especially as we have Skipp coming through, a player who Mourinho clearly believes in.

Strange feels about this. I really like Winks, he's a tidy player who is better than most under pressure. He's home-grown, a spurs supporter, hugely passionate and tries hard. His emotions when he's scored for us give me happy tears. Of course, he's had a lot of problems with injuries and hasn't done nearly enough to earn the Iniesta tag. I do think he's been outstanding sometimes, but kept getting crocked just when it looked like something good was going to come of him. He's got some class, but does he have enough?

If we sold him to Villa, I could live with that. It would be a sign from the upper tiers that he wasn't good enough. But, if we were to sell him to a 'better team' (*cough*), that says he deserves a chance. I definitely think we should see him get a season-long run in the first team with someone else taking over the lion's share of defensive duties. Winks-Skipp wasn't the trial he needed, but I can't be arsed making that argument, so let's just say I'm interested in seeing Winks-PEH.

People seem to think that he's the 'safe passing' type of player, forgetting the fact that if he wasn't doing what he was TOLD TO DO, he wouldn't be on the pitch! So, let's see how he performs when he's told to do something different. I think if he starts to hone/clip in those attacking passes we'll have some sexy football. If PEH and Winks doesn't work, then enough's enough (assuming PEH actually plays more of the CDM role).

Note: If Sissoko forms part of the triangle he has to rely on for outlet, then we run the experiment for twice as long.

We were 3-0 up against Spain and, IIRC, it finished 3-2 late on as we ran out of puff.

I didn't watch it as international football is shite.
Then you missed a cracking game and a different Harry had probably his most impressive game. Plus Eric Deir temporarily won the adoration of all Merseyside... On Winks he'll be the new good attitude British Lad, like the one they got off Villa. They can spend forty million on a quota place. We are really fucked

Grealish and Maddison have 1 cap between them.

Loftus Cheek has 10 times as many caps as Grealish and Maddison combined and won a PL and Europa League by the age of 23.

Quite easy to polish a turd with meaningless stats.
Especially when you've spend your entire youth on Tweeter every weekend reading it all

There's thick and then there's Totti-thick

#winning

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom