Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unbelieveable how people want to get rid of Ndombele after one season and still thinks Winks will evolve and is a fine player. He's even older than Ndombele!

Yesteday when Ndombele came on he done with the first pass what Winks couldn't do all the game, a forward pass, and just that alone makes him a more productive player. Really, what Winks offer to us? Fuck all. He's slow as fuck and every time he get the ball he has to think for hours what to do with it, till make another backward or sideway pass, the guy has zero creativity, zero vision.

I fact as he's one of our own I would keep him to use in the end of the games we are winning, that's his best use, waste time with the ball, but he's not a player that should play if we are trying to actually create something.

Last edited:
He's scored 2 goals and assisted twice in almost 100 appearances.

Sorry but he's fucking average

He'll never score or assist from the position he's playing. He is basically our DM. The deepest midfielder in the team which is a position he's not really suited to.

I agree his goals and assists are abysmal but they'll stay that away as long as we use him the way we have been doing.

He'll never score or assist from the position he's playing. He is basically our DM. The deepest midfielder in the team which is a position he's not really suited to.

I agree his goals and assists are abysmal but they'll stay that away as long as we use him the way we have been doing.
He'll never score or assist because he's not very good.

I saw him try one long ball yesterday and it was hit so wide it went into row Z, his shooting is also incredibly poor, his shot accuracy being under 20 percent.
He's not strong, he's not quick, he cant pass or shoot, Winks is the definition of a nothing player.

Any other player and people would be calling for his head, but because he sweeps his hair has an English accent and supports spurs he must be a 'pwopa player'.

Winks had 10 pressure in 60 minutes. Ndombele had 7 pressures in 15 minutes.

Sorry, but Winks is a problem. He doesn't defend well. He doesn't progress the ball into dangerous areas.

He is best in a possession heavy squad where he can recycle the ball and change the focus and pace of an attack. He would probably excel in certain teams/formations, but he's a system player in a system that doesn't suit him at all.

Winks had 10 pressure in 60 minutes. Ndombele had 7 pressures in 15 minutes.

Sorry, but Winks is a problem. He doesn't defend well. He doesn't progress the ball into dangerous areas.

He is best in a possession heavy squad where he can recycle the ball and change the focus and pace of an attack. He would probably excel in certain teams/formations, but he's a system player in a system that doesn't suit him at all.
Even a high possession team would get the hump with him stopping attacks and passing backwards all match

Winks is not the problem. The problem is a glaring lack of quality in our midfield that asks him to do too much. He's a neat and tidy player who gets stuck in, he will keep things ticking over and annoy opponents. He is not a player who can run the show . We don't have a single one of those in our squad, which is our main problem.

We used to have Dembele and Eriksen, Winks started plenty of matches when those two were still around and playing well, matches that we won. We've just taken away most of the quality around him and exposed his limitations.

We are still playing a 442/4231 when we should be playing 433, the only way to compensate for our lack of quality in midfield is to put more numbers in there. I don't understand why we aren't doing that despite Mourinho using that system many times before.

excellent

For me he’s an excellent squad player. A player you bring on when you want a bit of fight and passion to see out a game. A player you play in the odd cup game. We all love him, but how in the hell has he become our 1st choice midfielder I will never know. None of the top clubs would have him anywhere near their 1st 11.

For me he’s an excellent squad player. A player you bring on when you want a bit of fight and passion to see out a game. A player you play in the odd cup game. We all love him, but how in the hell has he become our 1st choice midfielder I will never know. None of the top clubs would have him anywhere near their 1st 11.
As long as he's a Tottenham player, I fear he's going to be in the starting 11, hurting us more than helping us.
Him, Lucas and Dier starting a game is gonna end badly.

He is still a starting player because our last 2 managers have this fantasy about not needing a tough, positionally disciplined DM despite the EPL being what it is(*).

Hard bastard + Gio or Ndombele ought to be an easy and immediate fix for our CM woes.

(*As for Winks himself it's no coincidence that he seems to play better against the big teams and in Europe.)

Winks playing in the academy was always a no 8.

Poch has played him as the more defensive player in a double pivot.... and that means telling him to keep back, keep it simple etc.

Winks has not played much in pre-season so question becomes whsat instructions has he been given to play and what instructions given to Hojbjerg - because there was a big gap between the CM's and the front 4.

4231 works if you have a player in the front 3 dropping back and doing lots of work (used to be the latterly much maligned Eriksen whose work rate was 2nd to none - plus his goals and sassists record was pretty good) plus a creative central midfield player (Dembele wasnt but he was very good at carrying the ball into the final 3rd before releasing it as an alternative).

Last season we had Lo Celso in the 2nd half of the season operating as the creative CM or sometimes in the 3 dropping back, and that's the guy we need back doing that role.

If he's injured for a couple of weeks, the question is whether Ndomele is going to put in the work rate required - not doubting his ability, just whether he will put in the work.

Sissoko is not a CM and not the answer to play alongside Hojbjerg.

But alternatively it will come down to coaches to ensure Winks resumes his role of 4 years ago as a no 8 rather than the role Poch told him to play.....and that might take a little time to retrain......hopefully not too long or we are in trouble.

Not mine, just found it over on r/coys and thought it was some interesting comparisons:

eeybw91w24n51.png

mmry5yr034n51.png

vnb07rq234n51.png

So he both gains and loses the ball more than our other midfielders :gallashmm:

And the passing stats, I believe, are misleading. So many of his passes are short, horizontal or backwards passes so you would expect his completion rate to be high. His passes into the final third are high, but most likely long passes out to the wings. That's not inherently a bad thing but doesn't mean that he is offering any passes cutting into the defense and creating goal scoring opportunities.

For the job you describe would you rather have Winks or Skipp available?

Back
Top Bottom