Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I said out loud to myself "Why isn't Winks there?" or "Where is Winks?" probably a half dozen times in the first half when it came to defensive positioning.

Just a poor defender.
He just seems not bothered at all. When the defense needs a pass, he's not there, when the attack needs a pass, he's not there, when midfielder needs a pass, he's also not there. He has zero awareness of the game, always in the wrong positions, always not offering suppor for those who are under pressure (as seen in Antwerp goal), he is just rolling over the pitch doing nothing.

GLC was our best player in the first half, I dare to say, why he was taken off is beyond me. Hojbjerg should play, of course, as the defense was exposed all the time, but they were not exposed because of Lo Celso. Can't understend why when you need do create a goal against a team that will park the bus you will prefer to rely on Winks than in Lo Celso (also I can't understand why would you rely on Winks over him in anything).
This.
Unless GLC was injured I just didn’t see the logic, with Hojbjerg coming on, surely GLC beside him was the obvious option.
At least GLC tries to get on the ball and make things happen.

It really bothered me when Winks had a go at Davinson after Winks was the one who played that truly ridiculous back pass that Davinson did well to clean up.

He just seems not bothered at all. When the defense needs a pass, he's not there, when the attack needs a pass, he's not there, when midfielder needs a pass, he's also not there. He has zero awareness of the game, always in the wrong positions, always not offering suppor for those who are under pressure (as seen in Antwerp goal), he is just rolling over the pitch doing nothing.
The worse thing is when he is actually there to defend. One slightly movement from the opposite player takes him out of the game. I feel sad for him though. Its really not his fault he's selected. The manager is to blame for that. There was a chance to sub him out and even that wasnt done. Poor from mourinho to accept the loss like that.

The additional problem Winks is having now is an increased self awareness that he isn't really good enough. It's very difficult to see things drastically improving for him now.
Yeah, that's not even his major problem, there were lots of players over the history that were poorer than Winks technincally, but you always can compensate that with other things. Look at Hojbjerg for example, he's all over the pitch, helping the attack, helping the defense, putting his body in front of the ball, going for a 50/50 with all his desire. It's safe to say that a player with poor technique could also do that, supporting the team! Winks is not one of this players, nor a gifted one, it's hard to see him offering something at all.

He's just a nothing player. I had to double-check it was him when i saw him take a shot at goal today. You are genuinely surprised when he does something most midfielders do on a regular basis. A cowardly footballer who shows no willingness to take responsibility for anything offensive or defensive. Just jogs around passing the ball sideways and thinks that makes him a player.

I used to think keep him around as a squad player but now i don't even value him that highly.

Last edited:
This.
Unless GLC was injured I just didn’t see the logic, with Hojbjerg coming on, surely GLC beside him was the obvious option.
At least GLC tries to get on the ball and make things happen.

GLC is coming back from an injury and tbh, didn't do much in the first half. I think Lamela came on for Gio.

I would have preferred he stayed on for the second half too. But what is done is done. Hopefully Jose can see what is clearly obvious to the majority of fans.

If his confidence in his own abilities is bringing him down, I sure hope he doesn't read this forum.
Winks after taking a peek at this forum...

Backing Up Homer Simpson GIF by Cheezburger

Last edited:
Oh right out of 129 games you were actually able to find ONE game he did well in, well done you. Also a big well done to winks himself for managing to play 0.78% of the games he has played for spurs well
He was outstanding against RM and no doubt played well in others or Poch Southgate and Jose wouldn’t keep picking him but not playing well atm imv

and stop being so chippy!!!
Learn to debate!

Back
Top Bottom