Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He needs someone to get hold of him and tell simply to take more risks and play forwards. I cant watch him atm. Nothing player.
To be fair, he attempted a couple of long through ball in the first half and he gave the ball away trying. Also, the two shots at goal he had, which is unusual. Obviously he can't actually kick a football properly which is a major issue (I have said this for years as being a major limitation).

He's just a nothing player. I had to double-check it was him when i saw him take a shot at goal today. You are genuinely surprised when he does something most midfielders do on a regular basis. A cowardly footballer who shows no willingness to take responsibility for anything offensive or defensive. Just jogs around passing the ball sideways and thinks that makes him a player.

I used to think keep him around as a squad player but now i don't even value him that highly.

He’s utter dross. If it wasn’t for his Spurs connections and passion for the club, I think most of us would be hounding him out. Can’t shoot and literally never gets a shot on target. Can’t defend. Can’t even pass properly anymore, so someone remind me, apart from playing football like a crab, what does Winks do ?

What do you reckon the chances are that he’d still be at the club if he wasn’t English/homegrown?
Very low, but he is homegrown, so it doesn’t matter. We have to have homegrown players around the squad and although it may weaken us, are there many other HG players out there that we could realistically sign that would improve the squad? Grealish maybe? Lewis Dunk? Any more?

He needs someone to get hold of him and tell simply to take more risks and play forwards. I cant watch him atm. Nothing player.

Unlikely sadly.

It was similar in Eriksen's final six months. He was playing for stats and not to make any mistakes. Sadly to take risks means you'll inevitably make mistakes.

Winks has painted himself into a corner now that even he must realise he is in. The fans are wanting a change especially after seeing what PEH can do in a similar position. It's about levels.

I thought Winks was a little more direct today early on and even had one or two shots. I honestly would prefer him losing the ball trying a shot or through ball rather than kill an attack. But when the team got the wobbles he reverted back to what he always seems to do. PEH came on and with Antwerp parking the bus, Winks just hid.

I'm not blaming Winks. As I said it is about levels and we just can't carry him anymore as it will continue to cost us points. I just hope Jose can see what is clear as dogs balls. We've outgrown him.

It has become painfully obvious since we brought in better players (PEH, GLC, Ndombele), that Winks is nowhere near the standard required.
Defensively he is easily outmuscled and bypassed. It's shocking how lightweight he looks out there.
In attack he offers zero creativity, no penetrating passes (like the 3 mentioned above), no driving forward with the ball (like Sissoko). If he does drive forward, he'll soon check back, let the other team get behind the ball and pass it to one of our centre backs.
I've wanted him to come good for years (like any of our players), but it's not going to happen. I seriously can't name a single strength that he has.

Very low, but he is homegrown, so it doesn’t matter. We have to have homegrown players around the squad and although it may weaken us, are there many other HG players out there that we could realistically sign that would improve the squad? Grealish maybe? Lewis Dunk? Any more?
Grealish is a massive upgrade on him

Grealish is a massive upgrade on him
Yes, he would be. At £80m. Give or take a few quid. And does he get in the side when every player is fit? Certainly upgrades the squad.
Oli Skipp.
Not having this just yet. Needs to have a number of games for us before I’d buy into any hype here.

But there aren’t many HG players that would be an improvement on the weakest areas of our squad. There’s lots of posters wanting rid of Winks. And a load wanting Dele out too. So there’s two HGs we have to replace with better. And the players just aren’t out there.

Acceptance is the name of the game here. Accept that Winks isn’t the worlds finest midfielder. Accept that he needs game time to rest others and to keep fit so is strong if needed. Accept he’s going to have some good games, some mediocre ones and some shockers. Accept it’s unlikely he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, he would be. At £80m. Give or take a few quid. And does he get in the side when every player is fit? Certainly upgrades the squad.

Not having this just yet. Needs to have a number of games for us before I’d buy into any hype here.

But there aren’t many HG players that would be an improvement on the weakest areas of our squad. There’s lots of posters wanting rid of Winks. And a load wanting Dele out too. So there’s two HGs we have to replace with better. And the players just aren’t out there.

Acceptance is the name of the game here. Accept that Winks isn’t the worlds finest midfielder. Accept that he needs game time to rest others and to keep fit so is strong if needed. Accept he’s going to have some good games, some mediocre ones and some shockers. Accept it’s unlikely he’s going anywhere anytime soon.
When was the last time Winks looked good? Maybe it's time to accept that his quality is nowhere near for us to evolve and aim to win the league.

When was the last time Winks looked good? Maybe it's time to accept that his quality is nowhere near for us to evolve and aim to win the league.
I don’t think he’s playing well. But his HG status is a big pull to keep him in the squad. And he needs game time. Last night wasn’t a must win, so I’m fine with him getting minutes in this kind of match.

He’s utter dross. If it wasn’t for his Spurs connections and passion for the club, I think most of us would be hounding him out. Can’t shoot and literally never gets a shot on target. Can’t defend. Can’t even pass properly anymore, so someone remind me, apart from playing football like a crab, what does Winks do ?
I take no pleasure in it as he is one of our own, but I agree.
He isn't good enough for this team

The worse thing is when he is actually there to defend. One slightly movement from the opposite player takes him out of the game. I feel sad for him though. Its really not his fault he's selected. The manager is to blame for that. There was a chance to sub him out and even that wasnt done. Poor from mourinho to accept the loss like that.
spot on! hes simply a player well out of his depth and hes fooled people for a coupe years by playing safe and boosting passing stats to appease morons! however people that understand the game after a while realise a player like that in midfield does nothing but hinder his own team! if you aint gonna offer quality on the ball you better be a beast off it and hes a choir boy!

That was fake news - they never offered that much
I don't think City seriously offered £40m for Winks.

However we should have coughed up the £35m to buy Grealish at the start of last season (in those few days before Villa were taken over). Now we'd probably need to pay north of £70m to get Villa to even think about letting him go.

A missed opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom