Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ciro Ciro You’re not a Spurs supporter, you’re a Mourinho supporter. If you don’t rate Winks (and most people don’t at the moment natch) You don’t need to jump on the enormous ‘Winks is shit’ bandwagon. It doesn’t make you look brave, or particularly insightful, it makes you look like a sheep.

Ciro Ciro You’re not a Spurs supporter, you’re a Mourinho supporter. If you don’t rate Winks (and most people don’t at the moment natch) You don’t need to jump on the enormous ‘Winks is shit’ bandwagon. It doesn’t make you look brave, or particularly insightful, it makes you look like a sheep.
I read this very authoritarian poster saying I´m a "Mourinho supporter" - and not a Tottenham supporter - and I thought I could use this opportunity to talk about my relationship with Spurs - and why it´s so special to me. This is not an answer to you, my dear angry hater Joe Clash Joe Clash . And I apologize to everybody else for writing a big post that is not connected with Harry Winks at all (and also for my bad english in general).

To my dear posters from The Fighting Cock:

"I´m a football fan, more than anything else. I love the game, I love it´s unpredictability. I love the fact that you can win - and you can play well - in many different ways. I love the fact that, unlike in other sports, the best team during a game won´t necessarily win the match. Since a very young age, I eat and breathe football. And I grew up in the 90´s - when football played in Brazil was still very rich. My beloved club is Botafogo, a very traditional Brazilian team - the club of Garrincha, Didi, Nilton Santos, Gerson, Jairzinho, Zagallo... But the truth is that Botafogo don´t win many titles (especially in recent years) and for that reason we are intensely mocked by our rivals - sounds familiar?

Anyway, in the early 2000´s football played in Brazil started to deteriorate and we began to lose players not only to top European clubs and leagues, but also to Turkey, Japan, China, etc. I need to consume football at the highest possible level - so I had to turn my attention entirely to Europe for the first time. Jose was beginning his career in Portugal at that time. I remember watching his Porto team in the Uefa Cup (2002-03). It was a solid team, with players full of energy and confidence. A small side fighting and winning against much bigger clubs. More than anything else, it was a very tactical team - able to change and adapt according to different oppositions. They were not trying to be "adventurous". It was about knowing everything about the game, and then finding a way to win it. That was the immediate connection I felt with Jose Mourinho. Not the pure "winner" thing, but the disposition to win using everything that this beautiful game allows you to use. In a way, it shows more respect towards football than anything else.

Now, I don´t care (I never did) about anything Jose does outside of his managerial functions. And I don´t dislike other managers - on the contrary, I also follow their teams independently of Jose. I don´t have a Twitter account (I use my wife´s account when I need) and my relationship with my father is pretty good. So, please, forget about any stereotypes that you might have in your mind about what a "Mourinho supporter" is. It´s just that, as a teenager football fan already following the game with a strong Brazilian background, it made more sense to me to follow Jose´s works than to simply choose an European team and call it "My team" - after all, I already had a team. Until now, I watched and rewatched Jose´s teams as an observer - which actually gave me a privileged position to analyze and judge his works. My perception of things, for good and for bad, was always different than what fans were thinking. I never screamed at the window when Inter Milan scored a goal, for example. I never wanted to write in a Manchester United forum.

But when Jose came to Spurs last November and I did a small research inside Spurs communities, it felt different. And most of all, because of the fans. Spurs fans are pessimistic. There is a real inferiority complex around - just remember how scared people were about the Amazon Doc before it´s release. Fans are tired of their club being mocked by rivals. Tired of not winning. In many ways, it´s exactly like my people - "Botafogo supporters" - are feeling since the 60´s. And then of course, knowing more about Spurs culture and History, it all came together and it was very easy to feel like a fan - and not just as an observer. I didn´t simply choose an European club in an artificial way. It took me almost 20 years to feel a real connection with one. It started because I´m a "Mourinho supporter", yes, but it will last forever.

Finally, this is the reason why I disagree that Jose fans, or "Sonny fans", or "Bale fans" will necessarily abandon Spurs once these high profile football personalities are gone. Some of them will, of course. But others will stay, and the most important thing: Tottenham will only get bigger in the process, exactly by assimilating different fans from different backgrounds and different parts of the world.

We are all Spurs supporters."

COYS

Last edited:
It started because I´m a "Mourinho supporter", yes, but it will last forever.
Forever? No it won’t. You support a man, not a club. I guarantee you’ll jump ship as soon as he’s gone.

And I’m not a hater - I just think you’re a fraud. Supporting Spurs isn’t just a convenient choice because our new left back comes from your part of the world.

I suggested that you are a Mourinho fan first, and you’ve admitted as much. You only started following us after he became manager, now you appear to be one of our biggest fans. That’s all I wanted to say.

P.S. Did I tell you of my life long love affair with Fluminense after I was bitten by a piranha on the Guaxindiba?

Last edited:
“Every time I get the opportunity for England, I love it. It's a great place to play football here, it’s free and the lads get on really well, it's a great place to come to. I want to be a part of that in the Euros and I want to be in the starting XI in the Euros as well. But, yes, it's important that back at Tottenham I get the opportunities there and I stay in the team there as well.

Dangerous territory for Winks here.

I presume he is talking about making the most of his opportunities - and not that he simply should be given more opportunities (which would be a direct message to Spurs manager) -, but he is not in a good place to say it, as The Telegraph´s piece starts by claiming he could leave Spurs in January - "Winks could look at his circumstances", etc. In any case, he seems too relaxed for a player who deservedly lost his place here. It´s important to remember that Winks had plenty of opportunities to prove himself under Jose - he started this season as a first team player, and then lost his position to Sissoko.

In short, I don´t think he should be speaking much about anything at this moment.

Your quote doesn't fit what your saying about the player.....

He's not making a veiled demand that he should play more; his comments simply acknowledge that he needs to play better when he is played and that his England career is somewhat in the balance until he does.

The bulk of the article is under a pay wall.... Have you actually read it all....? If so can you cut n paste it for the rest of us?

.....My hunch however knowing how the UK press weaves their chosen narratives is that he did not directly say he wanted to leave or put any kind of pressure on anyone but himself.

If he did any such thing you can bet that the headline would read *Winks says......". It doesn't.

I read this very authoritarian poster saying I´m a "Mourinho supporter" - and not a Tottenham supporter - and I thought I could use this opportunity to talk about my relationship with Spurs - and why it´s so special to me. This is not an answer to you, my dear angry hater Joe Clash Joe Clash . And I apologize to everybody else for writing a big post that is not connected with Harry Winks at all (and also for my bad english in general).

"I´m a football fan, more than anything else. I love the game, I love it´s unpredictability. I love the fact that you can win - and you can play well - in many different ways. I love the fact that, unlike in other sports, the best team during a game won´t necessarily win the match. Since a very young age, I eat and breathe football. And I grew up in the 90´s - when football played in Brazil was still very rich. My beloved club is Botafogo, a very traditional Brazilian team - the club of Garrincha, Didi, Nilton Santos, Gerson, Jairzinho, Zagallo... But the truth is that Botafogo don´t win many titles (especially in recent years) and for that reason we are intensely mocked by our rivals - sounds familiar?

Anyway, in the early 2000´s football played in Brazil started to deteriorate and we began to lose players not only to top European clubs and leagues, but also to Turkey, Japan, China, etc. I need to consume football at the highest possible level - so I had to turn my attention entirely to Europe for the first time. Jose was beginning his career in Portugal at that time. I remember watching his Porto team in the Uefa Cup (2002-03). It was a solid team, with players full of energy and confidence. A small side fighting and winning against much bigger clubs. More than anything else, it was a very tactical team - able to change and adapt according to different oppositions. They were not trying to be "adventurous". It was about knowing everything about the game, and then finding a way to win it. That was the immediate connection I felt with Jose Mourinho. Not the pure "winner" thing, but the disposition to win using everything that this beautiful game allows you to use. In a way, it shows more respect towards football than anything else.

Now, I don´t care (I never did) about anything Jose does outside of his managerial functions. And I don´t dislike other managers - on the contrary, I also follow their teams independently of Jose. I don´t have a Twitter account (I use my wife´s account when I need) and my relationship with my father is pretty good. So, please, forget about any stereotypes that you might have in your mind about what a "Mourinho supporter" is. It´s just that, as a teenager football fan already following the game with a strong Brazilian background, it made more sense to me to follow Jose´s works than to simply choose an European team and call it "My team" - after all, I already had a team. Until now, I watched and rewatched Jose´s teams as an observer - which actually gave me a privileged position to analyze and judge his works. My perception of things, for good and for bad, was always different than what fans were thinking. I never screamed at the window when Inter Milan scored a goal, for example. I never wanted to write in a Manchester United forum.

But when Jose came to Spurs last November and I did a small research inside Spurs communities, it felt different. And most of all, because of the fans. Spurs fans are pessimistic. There is a real inferiority complex around - just remember how scared people were about the Amazon Doc before it´s release. Fans are tired of their club being mocked by rivals. Tired of not winning. In many ways, it´s exactly like my people - "Botafogo supporters" - are feeling since the 60´s. And then of course, knowing more about Spurs culture and History, it all came together and it was very easy to feel like a fan - and not just as an observer. I didn´t simply choose an European club in an artificial way. It took me almost 20 years to feel a real connection with one. It started because I´m a "Mourinho supporter", yes, but it will last forever.

Finally, this is the reason why I disagree that Jose fans, or "Sonny fans", or "Bale fans" will necessarily abandon Spurs once these high profile football personalities are gone. Some of them will, of course. But others will stay, and the most important thing: Tottenham will only get bigger in the process, exactly by assimilating different fans from different backgrounds and different parts of the world.

COYS

Anyone who wants to can support this football club. People start supporting for various reasons. I'm not about to give you shit because you have chosen to like Spurs. All good.

“Every time I get the opportunity for England, I love it. It's a great place to play football here, it’s free and the lads get on really well, it's a great place to come to. I want to be a part of that in the Euros and I want to be in the starting XI in the Euros as well. But, yes, it's important that back at Tottenham I get the opportunities there and I stay in the team there as well.
Maybe he didnt word it right. Shouldnt be saying its important I get the opportunities, that only makes sense if he wasnt getting opportunities. And hes had tons of opportunities which hes wasted himself.

Maybe he didnt word it right. Shouldnt be saying its important I get the opportunities, that only makes sense if he wasnt getting opportunities. And hes had tons of opportunities which hes wasted himself.
It seems halfway between a Freudian slip and a deliberate choice of words- he's treading very close to the "not-club-friendly" line there. Winks seems to have played well for England this last international break- I only wish he could deliver our forwards some delicious chipped passes like he did during the first England game last week. If he was doing that on a regular basis I don't think he'd have problems getting regular time at Spurs.

I hope he keeps working on his offensive game and can take it to the next level. Every so often he makes a pass that makes you think, "what if?" If he could learn to do that more often and how to take a decent shot from the edge of the box he'd help us out so much more.

Best of luck Harry- we are rooting for you!

COYS
Nice post , and if you hadn’t of said I wouldn’t have known English isn’t your first language! It’s good to have any supporters regardless of why they chose to become one!

I'll give you that. I live less than 10 miles from Swaffham as the crow flies.

Just took a pic of my feet in the shower...

webbed-toes.jpg
Norfolk is God's own county.

Just a shame our gene pool hasn't expanded much from the Adam and Eve days

Fcfsopb.png

Your quote doesn't fit what your saying about the player.....

He's not making a veiled demand that he should play more; his comments simply acknowledge that he needs to play better when he is played and that his England career is somewhat in the balance until he does.

The bulk of the article is under a pay wall.... Have you actually read it all....? If so can you cut n paste it for the rest of us?

.....My hunch however knowing how the UK press weaves their chosen narratives is that he did not directly say he wanted to leave or put any kind of pressure on anyone but himself.

If he did any such thing you can bet that the headline would read *Winks says......". It doesn't.
The other quotes are not related to us. And I agree that the one I brought here is not a problem in itself - I gave Winks the benefit of the doubt in my post. Personally, I don't think he meant anything petulant by saying it.

My point was that Winks is crossing a dangerous territory. The way I see it, even if he didn't mean anything bad, the context - as you said, UK press working - is a piece that starts by saying the player could leave the club in January. Then the first question he received was something like: "Why are you not playing every game for Spurs?", or "Does it feel bad not to be playing every game for Spurs?", etc. In short, Winks has chosen to put himself in a difficult position - that's my point.

Now, some of us like Winks, some of us don't. But I think that, if we are honest, it should be a consensus that he is not playing well enough for us at the moment - and in my opinion, he is not playing well enough to be selected for England. His situation is actually similar to Dele Alli's situation. It's just that Southgate decided to keep Winks around - while Dele faces a much stronger competition for his place. If Dele Alli was selected, wouldn't it be strange if he was giving happy interviews to talk about his difficult situation at Spurs - with headlines suggesting he could be on his way out in a month or two?

That's what I meant.

Last edited:
The other quotes are not related to us. And I agree that the one I brought here is not a problem in itself - I gave Winks the benefit of the doubt in my post. Personally, I don't think he meant anything petulant by saying it. My point was that Winks is crossing a dangerous territory.

The way I see it, even if he didn't mean anything bad, the context - as you said, UK press working - is a piece that starts by saying the player could leave the club in January. Then the first question he received was something like: "Why are you not playing every game for Spurs?", or "Does it feel bad not to be playing every game for Spurs?", etc. In short, Winks has chosen to put himself in a difficult position - that's my point.

Now, some of us like Winks, some of us don't. But I think that, if we are honest, it should be a consensus that he is not playing well enough for us at the moment - and in my opinion, he is not playing well enough to be selected for England. His situation is actually similar to Dele Alli's situation. It's just that Southgate decided to keep Winks around - while Dele Alli faced a much stronger competition for his place. If Dele Alli was selected, wouldn't it be strange if he was giving interviews to talk about his difficult situation at Spurs?

That's what I meant.

Strange? No.

He's been interviewed about England following an England appearance.

This isn't him "giving interviews about Spurs" and it's no big deal. Danny Rose this isn't.........

The other quotes are not related to us. And I agree that the one I brought here is not a problem in itself - I gave Winks the benefit of the doubt in my post. Personally, I don't think he meant anything petulant by saying it.

My point was that Winks is crossing a dangerous territory. The way I see it, even if he didn't mean anything bad, the context - as you said, UK press working - is a piece that starts by saying the player could leave the club in January. Then the first question he received was something like: "Why are you not playing every game for Spurs?", or "Does it feel bad not to be playing every game for Spurs?", etc. In short, Winks has chosen to put himself in a difficult position - that's my point.

Now, some of us like Winks, some of us don't. But I think that, if we are honest, it should be a consensus that he is not playing well enough for us at the moment - and in my opinion, he is not playing well enough to be selected for England. His situation is actually similar to Dele Alli's situation. It's just that Southgate decided to keep Winks around - while Dele faces a much stronger competition for his place. If Dele Alli was selected, wouldn't it be strange if he was giving happy interviews to talk about his difficult situation at Spurs - with headlines suggesting he could be on his way out in a month or two?

That's what I meant.
He's pissed off that he's not playing, I'd be annoyed if he was happy about it.

“It’s important that I keep fighting and working as hard as I can to stay in the squad and to stay in the team." - He still hasn't given up hope of getting his spot back, that is the right attitude IMO.

hes had a reality check, he will be at a club more suited for him very soon as will dele. this club doesnt have a soft manager who wants to be everybodys mate now, it has a proven winner who knows what hes doing.

Anyone who wants to can support this football club. People start supporting for various reasons. I'm not about to give you shit because you have chosen to like Spurs. All good.
Nice post , and if you hadn’t of said I wouldn’t have known English isn’t your first language! It’s good to have any supporters regardless of why they chose to become one!
Thanks, guys. We are all together.
Oh, and Fattynomates Fattynomates , you´re too kind!

I'll give you that. I live less than 10 miles from Swaffham as the crow flies.

Just took a pic of my feet in the shower...

webbed-toes.jpg
I see things have got heated again. Lets have some strange East Anglian action to reduce the tension...

Tha's a rummin...

1166.jpg

The Mavis looks like this girl I used to know in Yarmouth, back in the day. Karen her name was.

She was a Scouser tho, her family were werkin' offshore like. My mate married her. Turned out to be a five-star wrong 'un.

Surprises all round!

COYS
Great post - IMO, doesn't matter how and when you become Spurs. We don't always see eye to eye and have different opinions, but we all want to see us do well.

Back
Top Bottom