Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I read this very authoritarian poster saying I´m a "Mourinho supporter" - and not a Tottenham supporter - and I thought I could use this opportunity to talk about my relationship with Spurs - and why it´s so special to me. This is not an answer to you, my dear angry hater Joe Clash Joe Clash . And I apologize to everybody else for writing a big post that is not connected with Harry Winks at all (and also for my bad english in general).

To my dear posters from The Fighting Cock:

"I´m a football fan, more than anything else. I love the game, I love it´s unpredictability. I love the fact that you can win - and you can play well - in many different ways. I love the fact that, unlike in other sports, the best team during a game won´t necessarily win the match. Since a very young age, I eat and breathe football. And I grew up in the 90´s - when football played in Brazil was still very rich. My beloved club is Botafogo, a very traditional Brazilian team - the club of Garrincha, Didi, Nilton Santos, Gerson, Jairzinho, Zagallo... But the truth is that Botafogo don´t win many titles (especially in recent years) and for that reason we are intensely mocked by our rivals - sounds familiar?

Anyway, in the early 2000´s football played in Brazil started to deteriorate and we began to lose players not only to top European clubs and leagues, but also to Turkey, Japan, China, etc. I need to consume football at the highest possible level - so I had to turn my attention entirely to Europe for the first time. Jose was beginning his career in Portugal at that time. I remember watching his Porto team in the Uefa Cup (2002-03). It was a solid team, with players full of energy and confidence. A small side fighting and winning against much bigger clubs. More than anything else, it was a very tactical team - able to change and adapt according to different oppositions. They were not trying to be "adventurous". It was about knowing everything about the game, and then finding a way to win it. That was the immediate connection I felt with Jose Mourinho. Not the pure "winner" thing, but the disposition to win using everything that this beautiful game allows you to use. In a way, it shows more respect towards football than anything else.

Now, I don´t care (I never did) about anything Jose does outside of his managerial functions. And I don´t dislike other managers - on the contrary, I also follow their teams independently of Jose. I don´t have a Twitter account (I use my wife´s account when I need) and my relationship with my father is pretty good. So, please, forget about any stereotypes that you might have in your mind about what a "Mourinho supporter" is. It´s just that, as a teenager football fan already following the game with a strong Brazilian background, it made more sense to me to follow Jose´s works than to simply choose an European team and call it "My team" - after all, I already had a team. Until now, I watched and rewatched Jose´s teams as an observer - which actually gave me a privileged position to analyze and judge his works. My perception of things, for good and for bad, was always different than what fans were thinking. I never screamed at the window when Inter Milan scored a goal, for example. I never wanted to write in a Manchester United forum.

But when Jose came to Spurs last November and I did a small research inside Spurs communities, it felt different. And most of all, because of the fans. Spurs fans are pessimistic. There is a real inferiority complex around - just remember how scared people were about the Amazon Doc before it´s release. Fans are tired of their club being mocked by rivals. Tired of not winning. In many ways, it´s exactly like my people - "Botafogo supporters" - are feeling since the 60´s. And then of course, knowing more about Spurs culture and History, it all came together and it was very easy to feel like a fan - and not just as an observer. I didn´t simply choose an European club in an artificial way. It took me almost 20 years to feel a real connection with one. It started because I´m a "Mourinho supporter", yes, but it will last forever.

Finally, this is the reason why I disagree that Jose fans, or "Sonny fans", or "Bale fans" will necessarily abandon Spurs once these high profile football personalities are gone. Some of them will, of course. But others will stay, and the most important thing: Tottenham will only get bigger in the process, exactly by assimilating different fans from different backgrounds and different parts of the world.

We are all Spurs supporters."

COYS
That's a really interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

COYS!

Great game?

images

Kevin Phillips claims Winks would be a good signing for Newcastle.
Hard to disagree. Too good for the 5 teams below Newcastle. If you look at the 5 above Newcastle, he ain't going to Woolwich, probably wouldn't get near City or even Wolves, couldn't see Leeds wanting him, Man United probably don't think he's expensive enough.

I can't see him staying around long term if his only football is Ropey League and Carabao Cup games. He wants to be in and around the England squad come tournament time so needs PL starts. Just not gonna get it at Spurs.

I see things have got heated again. Lets have some strange East Anglian action to reduce the tension...

Tha's a rummin...

1166.jpg

The Mavis looks like this girl I used to know in Yarmouth, back in the day. Karen her name was.

She was a Scouser tho, her family were werkin' offshore like. My mate married her. Turned out to be a five-star wrong 'un.

Surprises all round!
Scouser werkin' you say? No, not having it. ;-)

You are only 1 injury away from getting a player back in the starting 11. No one really thought Rodon was going to get PL start any time soon until Toby got injured now he is very likely to start next Sunday. Same with Winks, if we seriously have aspirations for winning something we must keep him all season and if that means he misses out on Euros, tough but if Hojbjerg or Sissoko get injured he is back in there.

Kevin Phillips claims Winks would be a good signing for Newcastle.
Hard to disagree. Too good for the 5 teams below Newcastle. If you look at the 5 above Newcastle, he ain't going to Woolwich, probably wouldn't get near City or even Wolves, couldn't see Leeds wanting him, Man United probably don't think he's expensive enough.

I can't see him staying around long term if his only football is Ropey League and Carabao Cup games. He wants to be in and around the England squad come tournament time so needs PL starts. Just not gonna get it at Spurs.
Will he get into the England squad at Newcastle? I mean if you put him in a mediocre team is he going to be putting in performances good enough to make a tournament squad? I'm not sure if he's good enough to stand out at a lesser team, at spurs he is surrounded by better players but I think his weaknesses will be more noticeable in an "average" team.

Will he get into the England squad at Newcastle? I mean if you put him in a mediocre team is he going to be putting in performances good enough to make a tournament squad? I'm not sure if he's good enough to stand out at a lesser team, at spurs he is surrounded by better players but I think his weaknesses will be more noticeable in an "average" team.
Will he get in the England squad when he doesn't even make our bench for big games?
Hasn't been involved with a matchday squad since the West Ham Debacle. Which itself coincided with him coming on from the bench.

I suspect Mourinho has made his mind up about Winks and Dele and they'll both be gone soon.
Might get Levy his lost £65m or so back

Will he get in the England squad when he doesn't even make our bench for big games?
Hasn't been involved with a matchday squad since the West Ham Debacle. Which itself coincided with him coming on from the bench.

I suspect Mourinho has made his mind up about Winks and Dele and they'll both be gone soon.
Might get Levy his lost £65m or so back

That's not true....

He was in the squad against Brighton and has started all 3 EL games since WH.

You are only 1 injury away from getting a player back in the starting 11. No one really thought Rodon was going to get PL start any time soon until Toby got injured now he is very likely to start next Sunday. Same with Winks, if we seriously have aspirations for winning something we must keep him all season and if that means he misses out on Euros, tough but if Hojbjerg or Sissoko get injured he is back in there.
We've got Sanchez and Tanganga as well as Rodon to cover Toby.
None are as good as Toby but any of them could be the one to step up.

We've got Sanchez and Tanganga as well as Rodon to cover Toby.
None are as good as Toby but any of them could be the one to step up.
Sanchez makes too many mistakes, Tanganga has not played for months. Rodon should play against Chelsea. Up to him to perform to see if he holds onto the place.

Sanchez makes too many mistakes, Tanganga has not played for months. Rodon should play against Chelsea. Up to him to perform to see if he holds onto the place.
I've no doubt he gets in.
It scares the shit of out me who ever we play though and suspect we may have to be far more pragmatic with a pairing of anyone without Toby and his calming effect.

Back
Top Bottom