Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let’s dive into the numbers, all of which I pulled from the Premier League website. You know who gets relentless criticism from our fan base and no one speaks out? Harry Winks. Let’s compare their stats.

Since Gio’s arrival, Lo Celso and Winks have played 49 and 48 games respectively. In that time, Gio has scored one Premier League goal and Winks has yet to score. Gio has provided three Premier League assists to Wink’s zero.

This is not to say Winks should start over Gio, but to show that a player that fans almost universally say should not be at this club is barely being outplayed by a player we brought in three years ago to be our creative link.

Let’s dig deeper and see how they move the team forward, since they play similar roles on the pitch. In three seasons, Gio has had 4 big chances created to Wink’s 1. However, what I find most damning is his passing.

Gio has completed 1580 passes compared to Wink’s 2398. Their pass completion is 83% to 88%. Skeptics would say that this is due to Wink’s frustrating preference to pass backwards or sideways, a fair criticism of the player.

However, out of those 2398 passes, Winks has 266 backwards passes compared to Gio’s 249! Winks has almost 1000 more passes and only 17 more backwards passes.

This is followed up with Gio having 479 forward passes compared to Wink’s 714 with the former being dispossessed 48 times compared to Wink’s 19.
Why does locelso have more assists and chances created? Maybe they arent doing the same thing.
Winks just passes to the nearest guy. Locelso from time to time tries to create things.

Last 2 years, from 3100 minutes winks made 56 tackles. Locelso made 79 in 2400 minutes. Similar roles apparently but locelso getting stuck in more. Why? Because winks is a zero-effort-wimpy piece of shit, while the other gives a shit.

Successful 50-50s. Winks in 2 years 19, Locelso 40. Why? One of them tries , the other hides.

Why is locelso getting dispossed more? Because hes also taking on players at twice the rate of little wimpy winksy.

Not that locelso's effforts have been good enough so far, but comparing him to a dickhead like winks is just ridiculous.

Why does locelso have more assists and chances created? Maybe they arent doing the same thing.
Winks just passes to the nearest guy. Locelso from time to time tries to create things.

Last 2 years, from 3100 minutes winks made 56 tackles. Locelso made 79 in 2400 minutes. Similar roles apparently but locelso getting stuck in more. Why? Because winks is a zero-effort-wimpy piece of shit, while the other gives a shit.

Successful 50-50s. Winks in 2 years 19, Locelso 40. Why? One of them tries , the other hides.

Why is locelso getting dispossed more? Because hes also taking on players at twice the rate of little wimpy winksy.

Not that locelso's effforts have been good enough so far, but comparing him to a dickhead like winks is just ridiculous.
Basically what I was saying mate, although you used twice as many words as me. 🤣

So not sure why I got a disagree from you.

Just seen you've removed it, feel free to ignore me.

Honestly, he should have at least gone on loan for a year to a Norwich / Watford / Fulham type team to get regular game time and build his confidence. It’s just awkward him being around. Poor guy is either being poorly advised or just too damn stubborn to face reality.

Honestly, he should have at least gone on loan for a year to a Norwich / Watford / Fulham type team to get regular game time and build his confidence. It’s just awkward him being around. Poor guy is either being poorly advised or just too damn stubborn to face reality.
Or he's too smart to realize that once he played for another club, all of shortcomings would be fully exposed.

You’re right but from his perspective why should he?

He knows that at any of those clubs he’d get found out and be more a laughing stock than he is now

No he’ll just site where is and draw his weekly wage here in comfort with no worries

We should pay his contract up and fuck the little rat 🐀 off from our club for good

I’ve no time for Doherty as a player but I would imagine if he was offered a loan he’d take it without any fuss and try his best

Not Wanks though
He’s one of our own!

Last edited:
Tbf he isn’t. That’s on the poor judgement of the club thinking that Winks would improve.

It’s difficult because he’s clearly now the at best, the 5th best CM at the club, but I also don’t want to see his value tank.

PEH
Skipp
Dele
Gio
Ndombele
6th = Winks.

Do we know if he's injured?

If not, he's not even considered a choice anymore.... Nuno chose to have 7 subs rather than have him on the bench against Wolves on Wednesday night.

Back
Top Bottom